command line completion on several lines

  • koxinga
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2006
      Hello,

      I am a big fan of the zsh feature allowing to navigate in a
      two-dimensional way in matches when completing a command, so I tried to
      code something similar in vim. The patch is here :
      http://perso.wanadoo.fr/koxinga/cmdline_completion.diff

      I am a beginner programmer and not at all familiar with the vim code so
      it isn't an elegant piece of code and I didn't understand exactly what
      some of the adjacent parts were supposed to do (what does 'showtail'
      mean ?). I did this little modification mainly to explain what I would
      like to have and hoping someone more able to do it will take some time
      to implement a proper patch.

      The completion is now organized on several lines, which allows to see
      much more possibilities at once when there are many matches. You can
      use the four directional keys to navigate and it wraps at the
      extremities. For the moment, it doesn't show anything if it can't show
      every matches.

      It won't work with multibyte.

      As up and down are now used for navigation, I mapped Shift-Up and
      Shift-Down to enter or leave a directory. Tab, Shift-Tab, Ctrl-P, Ctrl-N
      continue to work the same way.

      Any feedback appreciated, of course ...

      koxinga
    • koxinga
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 7, 2006
        No feedback at all ? Not even a nice "you dumbass, it doesn't even
        compile" or a "this is not a feature, this is a bug, moron" ?

        koxinga wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I am a big fan of the zsh feature allowing to navigate in a
        > two-dimensional way in matches when completing a command, so I tried
        > to code something similar in vim. The patch is here :
        > http://perso.wanadoo.fr/koxinga/cmdline_completion.diff
        >
        > I am a beginner programmer and not at all familiar with the vim code
        > so it isn't an elegant piece of code and I didn't understand exactly
        > what some of the adjacent parts were supposed to do (what does
        > 'showtail' mean ?). I did this little modification mainly to explain
        > what I would like to have and hoping someone more able to do it will
        > take some time to implement a proper patch.
        >
        > The completion is now organized on several lines, which allows to see
        > much more possibilities at once when there are many matches. You can
        > use the four directional keys to navigate and it wraps at the
        > extremities. For the moment, it doesn't show anything if it can't show
        > every matches.
        >
        > It won't work with multibyte.
        >
        > As up and down are now used for navigation, I mapped Shift-Up and
        > Shift-Down to enter or leave a directory. Tab, Shift-Tab, Ctrl-P,
        > Ctrl-N continue to work the same way.
        >
        > Any feedback appreciated, of course ...
        >
        > koxinga

      • koxinga
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 8, 2006
          (for those of you who don't follow vim@..., this is an answer to a
          message posted there because I got confused and posted in both lists ...)

          A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
          > koxinga wrote:
          >> koxinga wrote:
          >>> Hello,
          > [...]
          >>> It won't work with multibyte.
          > [...]
          >>> Any feedback appreciated, of course ...
          >>>
          >>> koxinga
          >>>

          >> No feedback at all ? Not even a nice "you dumbass, it doesn't even
          >> compile" or a "this is not a feature, this is a bug, moron" ?
          >>

          >> koxinga
          >>

          > Anything doesn't work with multibyte, I'm not interested. UTF-8 is
          > essential to my use of Vim.
          >

          > Best regards,
          > Tony.

          Well, it doesn't work because I made it just to show what I would like
          to have and I don't really know how to deal with multibyte in vim. It is
          not inherent to the modification I propose. If someone does this
          correctly, it should work fine with multibyte.

          However, nobody seems interested so I think I will just forget it and
          keep the patch for my personal use :(.

          koxinga