script able to detect +NUM commandline option ?

  • Yakov Lerner
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2006
      Whether Bram thinks it's useful to store this info in some
      v:variable (so script can know it) ?
      Within last year, there were requests how script can know
      whether vim had +NUM option on command line.

      Yakov
    • Benji Fisher
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3, 2006
        On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 01:49:24PM +0200, Yakov Lerner wrote:
        > Whether Bram thinks it's useful to store this info in some
        > v:variable (so script can know it) ?
        > Within last year, there were requests how script can know
        > whether vim had +NUM option on command line.
        >
        > Yakov

        You mean as in

        :help -+

        I guess? That is too specific; why not make the entire command line
        available? We have v:progname but not the command-line options
        (including +NUM). I have wanted this, too.

        BTW, there are too many v: variables for my taste. Why not put all
        the v:beval_* variables in a v:beval Dictionary? Of course, the old
        ones would have to be kept around for compatibility for a few releases

        HTH --Benji Fisher
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 3, 2006
          Yakov Lerner wrote:

          > Whether Bram thinks it's useful to store this info in some
          > v:variable (so script can know it) ?
          > Within last year, there were requests how script can know
          > whether vim had +NUM option on command line.

          We already have argv() to get the filename arguments. Perhaps there
          could be another function to get the non-filename arguments.

          148. You find it easier to dial-up the National Weather Service
          Weather/your_town/now.html than to simply look out the window.