Re: gVim 7 Win32 Maximize bug report

  • Yakov Lerner
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 2, 2006
      On 11/2/06, Steve Hall <digitect@...> wrote:
      > From: dotpanic dotpanic homelinux.org, Thu, November 02, 2006 6:11 am
      > >
      > > I'm pretty new to this mailing list and I hope I'm posting at the
      > > right place. I just want to report a simple bug, easy to reproduce.
      > >
      > > I have only tested it on Windows.
      > >
      > > Open vim, write a single 10000 characters line (filled with blanks
      > > for example), and just maximize the window.
      > >
      > > On my PC, I get the following error:
      > >
      > > Vi Improved - A Text Editor has encountered a problem and needs to
      > > close. We are sorry blabla...
      > >
      > > The details are:
      > > AppName: gvim.exe AppVer: 7.0.262.0 ModName: gvim.exe
      > > ModVer: 7.0.262.0 Offset: 0012c053
      > >
      > > Is the problem reproducible on your configurations?
      >
      > I don't see it, but Vim has always had a weakness with long lines. For
      > me, the line takes more than 5 seconds to refresh on any movement, so
      > there is obviously some heavy duty processing going on somewhere.
      >
      > Just curious, where does one download Vim 7.0.262 ? :)

      Time machine ?

      Yakov
    • A.J.Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 2, 2006
        dotpanic@... wrote:
        > Quoting Yakov Lerner <iler.ml@...>:
        >

        >> This problem was reported for Windows vim and fixed in the patch
        >> ~month ago.
        >>
        >> But what is 7.0.262 ? Isn't ~ 158 the last patch number for vim7 ?
        >>
        >> Yakov
        >
        > I've just tested with the last version and it works quite well. Sorry to
        > have bothered you with an already corrected bug.
        >
        > Anyway, even with the latest release installed, the version displayed by
        > windows is still 7.0.262.0.
        >
        > Best regards,
        > Mike Meirsman

        I don't know where that 4-part version number comes from. 262 can be
        interpreted as 262d, 106h, 406o, ^F^A (the latter assumes one little-endian
        word),... none of which rings any bells with me.

        The "official" way to display the version number and patch level of any Vim
        executable is (at the user's choice) any one of the following:

        vim --version |more
        Version number is displayed on the first line of output
        and "Included patches" (if any) on second line.
        Note: In Win32, "gvim --version" sends its output to a message
        popup, apparently after detaching Vim from the shell's stdout
        (if any) but without starting the GUI.

        launch [g]vim without any editfile. The splash screen comes up, unless
        the vimrc or some command-line switch sets the I flag in the
        'shortmess' option.
        Version and patchlevel are on the second non-blank line.

        :intro
        The splash screen comes up. Version & pl on 2nd nonblank line.

        :version
        The version listing comes up. Version on 1st line,
        included patches (if any) on 2nd.

      • Vince Negri
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 3, 2006
          A.J.Mechelynck [mailto:antoine.mechelynck@...] wrote:

          > I don't know where that 4-part version number comes from. 262 can be
          > interpreted as 262d, 106h, 406o, ^F^A (the latter assumes one little-endian
          > word),... none of which rings any bells with me.

          It comes from version.h:

          #define VIM_VERSION_BUILD 262
          #define VIM_VERSION_BUILD_BCD 0x106
          #define VIM_VERSION_BUILD_STR "262"

          Obviously we need a little script to keep this up to date...

          Vince