Re: gVim 7 Win32 Maximize bug report

  • Yakov Lerner
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 2, 2006
      On 11/2/06, dotpanic@...
      <dotpanic@...> wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > I'm pretty new to this mailing list and I hope I'm posting at the
      > right place. I just want to report a simple bug, easy to reproduce.
      >
      > I have only tested it on Windows.
      >
      > Open vim, write a single 10000 characters line (filled with blanks for
      > example), and just maximize the window.
      >
      > On my PC, I get the following error:
      >
      > Vi Improved - A Text Editor has encountered a problem and needs to
      > close. We are sorry blabla...
      >
      > The details are:
      > AppName: gvim.exe AppVer: 7.0.262.0 ModName: gvim.exe
      > ModVer: 7.0.262.0 Offset: 0012c053

      This problem was reported for Windows vim and fixed in the patch ~month ago.

      But what is 7.0.262 ? Isn't ~ 158 the last patch number for vim7 ?

      Yakov
    • dotpanic@dotpanic.homelinux.org
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 2, 2006
        Quoting Yakov Lerner <iler.ml@...>:

        > This problem was reported for Windows vim and fixed in the patch ~month ago.
        >
        > But what is 7.0.262 ? Isn't ~ 158 the last patch number for vim7 ?
        >
        > Yakov

        I've just tested with the last version and it works quite well. Sorry
        to have bothered you with an already corrected bug.

        Anyway, even with the latest release installed, the version displayed
        by windows is still 7.0.262.0.

        Best regards,
        Mike Meirsman

      • Steve Hall
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 2, 2006
          From: dotpanic dotpanic homelinux.org, Thu, November 02, 2006 6:11 am

          > I'm pretty new to this mailing list and I hope I'm posting at the
          > right place. I just want to report a simple bug, easy to reproduce.
          >
          > I have only tested it on Windows.
          >
          > Open vim, write a single 10000 characters line (filled with blanks
          > for example), and just maximize the window.
          >
          > On my PC, I get the following error:
          >
          > Vi Improved - A Text Editor has encountered a problem and needs to
          > close. We are sorry blabla...
          >
          > The details are:
          > AppName: gvim.exe AppVer: 7.0.262.0 ModName: gvim.exe
          > ModVer: 7.0.262.0 Offset: 0012c053
          >
          > Is the problem reproducible on your configurations?

          I don't see it, but Vim has always had a weakness with long lines. For
          me, the line takes more than 5 seconds to refresh on any movement, so
          there is obviously some heavy duty processing going on somewhere.

          Just curious, where does one download Vim 7.0.262 ? :)

        • Yakov Lerner
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 2, 2006
            On 11/2/06, Steve Hall <digitect@...> wrote:
            > From: dotpanic dotpanic homelinux.org, Thu, November 02, 2006 6:11 am
            > >
            > > I'm pretty new to this mailing list and I hope I'm posting at the
            > > right place. I just want to report a simple bug, easy to reproduce.
            > >
            > > I have only tested it on Windows.
            > >
            > > Open vim, write a single 10000 characters line (filled with blanks
            > > for example), and just maximize the window.
            > >
            > > On my PC, I get the following error:
            > >
            > > Vi Improved - A Text Editor has encountered a problem and needs to
            > > close. We are sorry blabla...
            > >
            > > The details are:
            > > AppName: gvim.exe AppVer: 7.0.262.0 ModName: gvim.exe
            > > ModVer: 7.0.262.0 Offset: 0012c053
            > >
            > > Is the problem reproducible on your configurations?
            >
            > I don't see it, but Vim has always had a weakness with long lines. For
            > me, the line takes more than 5 seconds to refresh on any movement, so
            > there is obviously some heavy duty processing going on somewhere.
            >
            > Just curious, where does one download Vim 7.0.262 ? :)

            Time machine ?

            Yakov
          • Bill McCarthy
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 2, 2006
              On Thu 2-Nov-06 5:11am -0600, dotpanic@... wrote:

              > I'm pretty new to this mailing list and I hope I'm posting at the
              > right place. I just want to report a simple bug, easy to reproduce.
              >
              > I have only tested it on Windows.
              >
              > Open vim, write a single 10000 characters line (filled with blanks for
              > example), and just maximize the window.
              >
              > On my PC, I get the following error:
              >
              > Vi Improved - A Text Editor has encountered a problem and needs to
              > close. We are sorry blabla...
              >
              > The details are:
              > AppName: gvim.exe AppVer: 7.0.262.0 ModName: gvim.exe
              > ModVer: 7.0.262.0 Offset: 0012c053
              >
              > Is the problem reproducible on your configurations?

              Running Gvim 7.0.158 on Win XP, I get no crash for 10,000+
              character lines. I do get some unusual behavior. With

              set fileformats=dos,unix,mac

              I see a ^J as the first character of lines 2 through n+1
              (for an n-line file) and my 'fileformat' is set to "mac."
              [That would be expected behavior for reading a dos file as a
              mac file, since the CR of dos's CR/LF would end the line and
              LF (0x0A) would render as ^J.]

              It rendered OK when I changes 'ffs' to "dos,unix" - IIRC,
              Bram once mentioned that file format detection was a bit
              weak on long lines.

              BTW, I also see that Windows Explorer reports Gvim is at
              version 7.0.262.0. Its copyright is for 1996-2005, its
              trademark is Vim and the original file name is VIM.EXE?

              Bill
            • A.J.Mechelynck
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 2, 2006
                dotpanic@... wrote:
                > Quoting Yakov Lerner <iler.ml@...>:
                >

                >> This problem was reported for Windows vim and fixed in the patch
                >> ~month ago.
                >>
                >> But what is 7.0.262 ? Isn't ~ 158 the last patch number for vim7 ?
                >>
                >> Yakov
                >
                > I've just tested with the last version and it works quite well. Sorry to
                > have bothered you with an already corrected bug.
                >
                > Anyway, even with the latest release installed, the version displayed by
                > windows is still 7.0.262.0.
                >
                > Best regards,
                > Mike Meirsman

                I don't know where that 4-part version number comes from. 262 can be
                interpreted as 262d, 106h, 406o, ^F^A (the latter assumes one little-endian
                word),... none of which rings any bells with me.

                The "official" way to display the version number and patch level of any Vim
                executable is (at the user's choice) any one of the following:

                vim --version |more
                Version number is displayed on the first line of output
                and "Included patches" (if any) on second line.
                Note: In Win32, "gvim --version" sends its output to a message
                popup, apparently after detaching Vim from the shell's stdout
                (if any) but without starting the GUI.

                launch [g]vim without any editfile. The splash screen comes up, unless
                the vimrc or some command-line switch sets the I flag in the
                'shortmess' option.
                Version and patchlevel are on the second non-blank line.

                :intro
                The splash screen comes up. Version & pl on 2nd nonblank line.

                :version
                The version listing comes up. Version on 1st line,
                included patches (if any) on 2nd.

              • Vince Negri
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 3, 2006
                  A.J.Mechelynck [mailto:antoine.mechelynck@...] wrote:

                  > I don't know where that 4-part version number comes from. 262 can be
                  > interpreted as 262d, 106h, 406o, ^F^A (the latter assumes one little-endian
                  > word),... none of which rings any bells with me.

                  It comes from version.h:

                  #define VIM_VERSION_BUILD 262
                  #define VIM_VERSION_BUILD_BCD 0x106
                  #define VIM_VERSION_BUILD_STR "262"

                  Obviously we need a little script to keep this up to date...

                  Vince