Re: syntax region match with braces

  • Виктор Кожухаров
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 31, 2006
      В ср, 2006-11-01 в 10:53 +1100, Peter Hodge написа:
      > --- ÐикÑоѬ ÐaожђÑ&аѬов <vkojouharov@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Hello,
      > >
      > > I'm working on a syntax file for .edc files. The problem before me is
      > > that I want to use a different syntax file for a "script" part. I've
      > > created the syntax file for the script syntax, and I've read how yto use
      > > "syn include".
      > >
      > > The real problem is, that in the .edc files, scripts are located within:
      > > script {
      > > SCRIPT HERE
      > > }
      > > ,however, the scripts themselves can also have {} braces. I've written
      > > the following, but it only uncludes the script syntax upto the first "}"
      > > brace, and I have no idea how to make it end on the _matching_ "}" brace
      > > instead:

      > > syn include @edcEmbryo syntax/embryo.vim
      > > unlet b:current_syntax
      > > syn region edcScript start="\<script\>\s*\n*\s*{" end="}"
      > > contains=@edcEmbryo,edcScriptTag
      > > syn keyword edcScriptTag contained script
      > >
      > > So the question is, if I have:
      > > script {
      > > if (foo) {
      > > bar;
      > > } else {
      > > baz;
      > > }
      > > }
      > > how do I make vim use the script syntax all the way up to the closing }
      > > brace for the "script"?
      >
      > Hello,
      >
      > Your syntax file 'embryo.vim' will need regions match up all {} pairs as well.
      >
      > syn region embryoBraces matchgroup=Delimiter start=/{/ end=/}/ transparent
      >
      > regards,
      > Peter

      adding an embryoBraces region now makes all the script part highlighted
      correctly, but it doesn't stop. It continues trying to highlight the
      rest of the .edc file as if it was an embryo file.

      > 1. Maybe this can fix the problem: namely, using this inclusion method
      > mentioned in ':help syn-include' :
      > :runtime! syntax/embryo.vim
      > :unlet b:current_syntax
      > , instead of using 'syn include'. Does this help ?
      >
      > If this won't help, how about two less probably possiblities:
      >
      > 2. Just for the sake of experiment, does the problem go away
      > when you modify the 'syn region' to this:
      >
      > syn region edcScript start="\<script\>\s*\n*\s*{" end="^}" ...
      >
      > I realise this is not the proper final fix, but just to see what makes the
      > problem. Without (1) and (2), I think vim
      > has egg-and-chicken problem trying to determine where
      > @edcEmbryo ends.
      >
      > 3. Does something change if you comment out the 'syn keyword ... script'
      > statement ?
      > One less probably suspicion is that that 'keyword script' badly interacts with
      > pattern containing 'script' with 'region ... start="\<script\>...
      > This seems less probale because you say that beginning of edcScript
      > region matches correctly.
      >
      > Yakov

      1. I've tried that before. doesn't work, as it breaks everything.
      2. the end } for the script is not neceserily at the beginning of the
      line (and it almost never is)
      3. I don't quite understand that point, but the script start is matched
      correctly.

      Виктор Кожухаров /Viktor Kojouharov/
    • Виктор Кожухаров
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 31, 2006
        В ср, 2006-11-01 в 10:53 +1100, Peter Hodge написа:
        > --- ÐикÑоѬ ÐaожђÑ&аѬов <vkojouharov@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Hello,
        > >
        > > I'm working on a syntax file for .edc files. The problem before me is
        > > that I want to use a different syntax file for a "script" part. I've
        > > created the syntax file for the script syntax, and I've read how yto use
        > > "syn include".
        > >
        > > The real problem is, that in the .edc files, scripts are located within:
        > > script {
        > > SCRIPT HERE
        > > }
        > > ,however, the scripts themselves can also have {} braces. I've written
        > > the following, but it only uncludes the script syntax upto the first "}"
        > > brace, and I have no idea how to make it end on the _matching_ "}" brace
        > > instead:

        > > syn include @edcEmbryo syntax/embryo.vim
        > > unlet b:current_syntax
        > > syn region edcScript start="\<script\>\s*\n*\s*{" end="}"
        > > contains=@edcEmbryo,edcScriptTag
        > > syn keyword edcScriptTag contained script
        > >
        > > So the question is, if I have:
        > > script {
        > > if (foo) {
        > > bar;
        > > } else {
        > > baz;
        > > }
        > > }
        > > how do I make vim use the script syntax all the way up to the closing }
        > > brace for the "script"?
        >
        > Hello,
        >
        > Your syntax file 'embryo.vim' will need regions match up all {} pairs as well.
        >
        > syn region embryoBraces matchgroup=Delimiter start=/{/ end=/}/ transparent
        >
        > regards,
        > Peter

        actually, after adding this region, what really happens, is that all the
        '}' in the script part are of group Delimeter, including the '}' for the
        'script {' itself. so, if there's another '}' after that, it becomes of
        region edcScript (even though logically it's out of the script's scope).
        There are times however, where a '}' won't follow the script's own
        closing '}', thus the edcScript region will never end, as I observed in
        the first case.

        Виктор Кожухаров /Viktor Kojouharov/
      • Peter Hodge
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2006
          --- Виктор Кожухаров <vkojouharov@...> wrote:

          > В ср, 2006-11-01 в 10:53 +1100, Peter Hodge написа:
          > > --- ÐикÑоѬ ÐaожђÑ&аѬов
          > <vkojouharov@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > > Hello,
          > > >
          > > > I'm working on a syntax file for .edc files. The problem before me is
          > > > that I want to use a different syntax file for a "script" part. I've
          > > > created the syntax file for the script syntax, and I've read how yto use
          > > > "syn include".
          > > >
          > > > The real problem is, that in the .edc files, scripts are located within:
          > > > script {
          > > > SCRIPT HERE
          > > > }
          > > > ,however, the scripts themselves can also have {} braces. I've written
          > > > the following, but it only uncludes the script syntax upto the first "}"
          > > > brace, and I have no idea how to make it end on the _matching_ "}" brace
          > > > instead:

          > > > syn include @edcEmbryo syntax/embryo.vim
          > > > unlet b:current_syntax
          > > > syn region edcScript start="\<script\>\s*\n*\s*{" end="}"
          > > > contains=@edcEmbryo,edcScriptTag
          > > > syn keyword edcScriptTag contained script
          > > >
          > > > So the question is, if I have:
          > > > script {
          > > > if (foo) {
          > > > bar;
          > > > } else {
          > > > baz;
          > > > }
          > > > }
          > > > how do I make vim use the script syntax all the way up to the closing }
          > > > brace for the "script"?
          > >
          > > Hello,
          > >
          > > Your syntax file 'embryo.vim' will need regions match up all {} pairs as
          > well.
          > >
          > > syn region embryoBraces matchgroup=Delimiter start=/{/ end=/}/
          > transparent
          > >
          > > regards,
          > > Peter
          > >

          > actually, after adding this region, what really happens, is that all the
          > '}' in the script part are of group Delimeter, including the '}' for the
          > 'script {' itself. so, if there's another '}' after that, it becomes of
          > region edcScript (even though logically it's out of the script's scope).
          > There are times however, where a '}' won't follow the script's own
          > closing '}', thus the edcScript region will never end, as I observed in
          > the first case.

          try:

          syn region edcScript matchgroup=edcScriptTag start="\<script\_s*{" end="}"
          keepend contains=@edcEmbryo

          syn region embryoBraces matchgroup=Delimiter start=/{/ end=/}/ transparent
          keepend extend

          I'm not sure if 'transparent' is going to mess things up ... if it does, take
          out 'transparent' and use 'contains=@edcEmbryo'

          regards,
          Peter

        • Виктор Кожухаров
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 1, 2006
            В ср, 2006-11-01 в 23:26 +1100, Peter Hodge написа:
            > --- Виктор Кожухаров <vkojouharov@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Ð’ ÑÑ€, 2006-11-01 в 10:53 +1100, Peter Hodge напиÑа:
            > > > --- ÃøúÑþѬ ÃaþöђÑ&ðѬþò

            > > > Hello,
            > > >
            > > > Your syntax file 'embryo.vim' will need regions match up all {} pairs as
            > > well.
            > > >
            > > > syn region embryoBraces matchgroup=Delimiter start=/{/ end=/}/
            > > transparent
            > > >
            > > > regards,
            > > > Peter
            > > >

            > > actually, after adding this region, what really happens, is that all the
            > > '}' in the script part are of group Delimeter, including the '}' for the
            > > 'script {' itself. so, if there's another '}' after that, it becomes of
            > > region edcScript (even though logically it's out of the script's scope).
            > > There are times however, where a '}' won't follow the script's own
            > > closing '}', thus the edcScript region will never end, as I observed in
            > > the first case.
            >
            > try:
            >
            > syn region edcScript matchgroup=edcScriptTag start="\<script\_s*{" end="}"
            > keepend contains=@edcEmbryo
            >
            > syn region embryoBraces matchgroup=Delimiter start=/{/ end=/}/ transparent
            > keepend extend
            >
            > I'm not sure if 'transparent' is going to mess things up ... if it does, take
            > out 'transparent' and use 'contains=@edcEmbryo'

            that worked almost perfectly. the only problem now, is that if the
            script part is too long, if I scroll to where it ends, the edc stuff is
            not highlighted anymore, untill i reload the file, and if i do, they are
            highlighted, but I have to scroll up until close to the begining of the
            script, so that the script itself is highlighted. And for small scripts,
            even reloading the file doesn't return the .edc highlighting, after the
            script.

            I'm not sure why that happens, and out of pure guessing, i'd say it's
            something to do with syn sync, which I got from other syn files. I have
            both edc and embryo sync with the following line:
            syn sync ccomment edc(embryo)Comment minlines=50

            if I make the minlines too big, edc isn't highlighted after a script
            even after reload. with a value of 1, it exhibits the above behaviour.

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 1, 2006
              Hello,

              I have the same problem with large PHP files, Vim gets confused in the midst of
              all the curly braces ... :-S Unfortunately I'm not yet familiar with the 'syn
              sync' commands, partly because they're so hard to test.

              You can use a command like ':syn on' to refresh the syntax, and that should
              make everything match up properly again. Also, make sure you don't have the
              'display' option added to the wrong syntax items, that can also mess up
              matching of { and }.

              regards,
              Peter

            • Ilya Sher
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 1, 2006
                Peter Hodge wrote:
                > Hello,
                >
                > I have the same problem with large PHP files, Vim gets confused in the midst of
                > all the curly braces ... :-S Unfortunately I'm not yet familiar with the 'syn
                > sync' commands, partly because they're so hard to test.

                Haven't followed the thread but

                :syntax sync fromstart

                usually works fine for me

                [snip]