Re: insert-mode :map-alt-keys and 8-bit locales

  • Ilya Sher
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 25, 2006
      A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
      > Ilya Sher wrote:
      >> A.J.Mechelynck wrote:

      >>> - Maybe Bram Moolenaar can type at 100 keystrokes / second, I can't.
      >>> Especially if one of the keys is <Esc>, which is far away from almost
      >>> everything else.
      >> Assuming one-handed typing, (especially for <Esc>o and <Esc>n)
      >> which is almost always not true for vim users.
      >>
      >> Assumption that people use keyboard mappings
      >> where <Esc> is far away is true most of the time
      >> but not always. (Common exception is caps lock
      >> generating <Esc>).
      >>

      >> [snip]
      >>

      > When I say "I can't", I'm talking about me on my keyboard, where the
      > Esc key is at top left, and the nearest keys are (²³¬) (&1|) (é2@) and
      > F1 (Between round brackets: unshifted, with Shift, and with AltGr, in
      > that order, for a single key).
      >
      > I'm not assuming that _you_ cannot type 100 keystrokes per second,
      > though I would bet that the Vimmers who can are a minority at best. ;-)
      I was probably not clear enough.

      The point is that one does not even have to type at
      that speed to hit pretty fast <Esc>o if the <Esc>
      is not far away and both hands are used.
      ... the first condition is optional.

      --
      For robots (please don't mail me there): part-maps@...
      My real email is ilya @ same domain