Re: List of encodings and aliases

  • A.J.Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 24, 2006
      Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > Tony Mechelynck wrote:
      >
      >> I fell by chance on http://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets , the
      >> official list of character set names and aliases allowable on the Internet.
      >>
      >> Only names (with their aliases) are listed there, with bibliographical links
      >> to various sources.
      >>
      >> Maybe that URI should be mentioned for info somewhere near ":help
      >> encoding-values", what do you think?
      >
      > This is a list for the internet. It can be useful for Vim too
      > sometimes. But we can also use other sources and be a bit more flexible
      > with aliases. I think the link isn't very useful for Vim users. We can
      > only say that it's a list of encoding names, not what to do with them.

      Sure. A copy of the whole long list would be out of place in the Vim help, and
      I notice Vim is already "a bit more flexible with aliases", e.g. ucs-2 and
      utf8 aren't in the list (which lists them as "ISO-10646-UCS-2" with prefix,
      and "UTF-8", with dash, respectively). I still thought the (one-line) link
      would be a valuable resource for some Vim users, even if in many cases they
      would have to follow the bibliographic links. Maybe I should have started this
      thread in vim-multibyte rather than vim-dev.