Re: Do Not Reply To This Message:Re: Time to remove naming restrictions?

  • Yakov Lerner
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2006
      Me too. I think it means that (1) "email address at KNBT that is
      unavailable or no longer valid", and (2) it's time for you to add
      special filtering rule to your mail reader. I mean, who said mail bot
      cannot post to mailing list ?

      Yakov

      On 10/2/06, Nikolai Weibull <now@...> wrote:
      > I keep getting this f**king message every time I post to vim-dev.
      > Seriously, wtf?
      >
      > nikolai (awaiting another notification for this mail not getting through)

    • Nikolai Weibull
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 2006
        > Me too. I think it means that (1) "email address at KNBT that is
        > unavailable or no longer valid", and (2) it's time for you to add
        > special filtering rule to your mail reader. I mean, who said mail bot
        > cannot post to mailing list ?

        It's not posting to the mailing list, it's sending it to me, and I
        haven't asked for a return receipt or anything. One would hope that
        mailing list software + MTAs would get together and understand that I,
        the poster to the mailing list, don't want to know that some douchebag
        registered an email address with the mailing list and didn't remove
        themself from the mailing list when it was dropped at the recipient
        end. Also, it would be nice if the MTA in question would only send
        /one/ notification (during a given time period), not once every time.

        So anyway, I guess my request is for Felix von Leitner, or whoever
        doesn't maintain this mailing list anymore (according to earlier
        discussions on similar subjects), to remove the offending email
        address from the mailing address.

        Thanks.

        nikolai

        P.S.
        Sorry about the extra traffic about this.
        D.S.
      • A.J.Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 3, 2006
          Nikolai Weibull wrote:
          > I keep getting this f**king message every time I post to vim-dev.
          > Seriously, wtf?
          >
          > nikolai (awaiting another notification for this mail not getting through)

          [...]

          Yeah, I get them too. It means someone at knbt discontinued his mail account
          (or got it cancelled) without going to the trouble of unsubscribing from Vim.
          Since the pseudo-bounce does not include the address in question, there's no
          way to know who it was. You can either blacklist system.administrator@...
          in your mail reader (e.g. by creating a new filter rule, 'if From: is
          "system.administrator@..." then Move to Trash'), or treat it in whatever
          manner you treat spam.

          And since the bounce doesn't go thru the list (it goes direct to the poster),
          no one can filter the bounces away in our place.

        • Ali Akcaagac
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 3, 2006
            On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 11:34 +0200, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
            > You can either blacklist system.administrator@...
            > in your mail reader (e.g. by creating a new filter rule,
            > 'if From: is "system.administrator@..." then Move
            > to Trash'), or treat it in whatever manner you treat spam.

            Hello,

            I'm getting these mails as well....

            I think this is definately no solution. Think about new people who like
            joining this mailinglist in regard of contributing or giving feedback to
            this list. You definately don't want them to blacklist half a dozen
            "unwanted" emails before they can finally start posting something or
            participating to this mailinglist.

            mfg,

            Ali Akcaagac
          • A.J.Mechelynck
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 3, 2006
              Yakov Lerner wrote:
              > Me too. I think it means that (1) "email address at KNBT that is
              > unavailable or no longer valid", and (2) it's time for you to add
              > special filtering rule to your mail reader. I mean, who said mail bot
              > cannot post to mailing list ?
              >
              > Yakov
              [...]

              The mailbot is not posting to the mailing list. What happens is at follows:

              1. Yakov Lerner posts to mailing list
              2. Vim mailbot sends it to all subscribed addresses.
              3. One of those subscribers is (let's say) foobar@...
              4. KNBT mail router accepts the mail.
              5. KNBT mail router (maybe another one) notices that foobar@... is unknown
              6. KNBT mail router sends a pseudo-bounce to the apparent author, i.e., Yakov
              Lerner. This is the message that you see; the vim mailbot doesn't.

              This points at a misconfiguration in KNBT's routers: what should happen is as
              follows:

              3. During handshaking between Vim mailbot and KNBT incoming mail exchanger,
              the latter notices that foobar@... is unknown and immediately gives a 550
              (or something) error reply to the "RCPT TO foobar@..." line.
              4. The mail itself is not transmitted to KNBT
              5. Vim mailbot notices that foobar@... couldn't be reached and remembers
              which list post couldn't be sent to him.
              6. After some time (or some number of failed emails), Vim listbot tries to
              send a recap email to foobar@... telling him which mails were rejected.
              7. Again, KNBT incoming mail exchanger refuses the transaction.
              8. Vim listbot tries to send a probe email to foobar@...
              9. Again, KNBT inmx refuses the transaction
              10. Vim listbot unsubscribes foobar@...

              This second scenario is much cleaner in that we never see any pseudo-bounces,
              and eventually the unsubscribe does take place.

            • A.J.Mechelynck
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 3, 2006
                Nikolai Weibull wrote:
                [...]
                > So anyway, I guess my request is for Felix von Leitner, or whoever
                > doesn't maintain this mailing list anymore (according to earlier
                > discussions on similar subjects), to remove the offending email
                > address from the mailing address.
                >
                > Thanks.
                >
                > nikolai
                >
                > P.S.
                > Sorry about the extra traffic about this.
                > D.S.

                The problem is, not only the KNBT pseudo-bounce is misdirected, it is
                incomplete. In particular, it doesn't say which address was not found, so all
                Felix (or Bram or someone) can know is that "someone" @... is no longer a
                subscriber, can they? Quite probably there are more than one.

              • David Brown
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 3, 2006
                  A.J.Mechelynck wrote:

                  > 3. During handshaking between Vim mailbot and KNBT incoming mail
                  > exchanger, the latter notices that foobar@... is unknown and
                  > immediately gives a 550 (or something) error reply to the "RCPT TO
                  > foobar@..." line.

                  Most mailers these days are not configured to do this. It makes it way to
                  easy to quickly troll a domain for valid addresses for generating spam.

                  I suspect this is how almost all mailers are going to work. It gets worse
                  when mailing lists put themselves in a reply-to header. Then everyone on
                  the list gets the bounce.

                  There sure have been a lot of replies to a message with a sugject starting
                  with "Do Not Reply To This Message..."

                  Dave
                • Ilya Sher
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 3, 2006
                    A.J.Mechelynck wrote:

                    [snip]

                    > The problem is, not only the KNBT pseudo-bounce is misdirected, it is
                    > incomplete. In particular, it doesn't say which address was not found,
                    > so all Felix (or Bram or someone) can know is that "someone" @...
                    > is no longer a valid address. But they can't go forcibly unsubscribing
                    > _every_ @... subscriber, can they? Quite probably there are more
                    > than one.
                    Anyone knows how much of *@... are subscribed ?
                    If they are not many we can even do manual check(s)...

                    --
                    For robots (please don't mail me there): part-maps@...
                    My real email is ilya @ same domain