Re: gvim segfaulting on Solaris 10

  • A.J.Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
      Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      [...]
      > The bonobo stuff is only used when compiling for GTK 2 with Gnome
      > support. I generally discourage compiling with Gnome, it has its
      > problems. This is mentioned in the Makefile.
      [...]

      Yes, I saw that warning, and decided to try --enable-gnome-check nevertheless,
      just to see what these problems were. None of them has bitten me yet.

    • Laurent Blume
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
        Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        > Is "/usr/sfw" a standard place for something? Then perhaps configure
        > should be adjusted to check it.

        Checked that. No need anymore for it. Ir probably dated from my first
        builds on the Solaris 10 beta, 2 years ago.

        Laurent
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 2, 2006
          Ali Akcaagac wrote:

          > On Sun, 2006-10-01 at 23:13 +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > > The bonobo stuff is only used when compiling for GTK 2 with Gnome
          > > support. I generally discourage compiling with Gnome, it has its
          > > problems. This is mentioned in the Makefile.
          > >
          > > If you compile without Gnome, which is the default, no bonobo stuff is
          > > used by Vim. If a bonobo library is still linked in then it's because
          > > of a dependency.
          >
          > I do understand this. But what I tried explaining was that BonoboUI is
          > deprecated. That means it's dead stuff from within GNOME which should
          > not be used anymore (from what the developers say). So basicly there is
          > no need for extra GNOME GUI components anymore since the encouraged and
          > recommended way to do GNOME GUI is by using GTK+ GUI (from what the
          > developers say). The only interesting part therefore remains is the
          > session management.

          Perhaps someone who knows the details about Gnome can make the changes,
          test it and send us a patch? Obviously I don't have time to learn the
          "proper use" of Gnome libraries.

          --
          The acknowledged parents of reengineering are Michael Hammer and James Champy.
          When I say they're the "parents" I don't mean they had sex - and I apologize