Re: gvim segfaulting on Solaris 10

    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
      Ali Akcaagac wrote:

      > After grep'ing through the VIM source I really detected Bonobo Dockitems
      > inside it. Unfortunately that's all "soon to be" deprecated stuff and
      > should be avoided as much as possible..
      >
      > Why this ?
      >
      > a) BonoboUI elements are dead stuff and will be removed pretty soon.
      > I only wish this stuff would have happened a few years earlier.
      > b) The recommended way for GNOME and GTK+ GUI's is by using GTK+ (This
      > is not just my idea but a regular advise because of the fact that all
      > GUI elements for GTK+ and GNOME will move inside GTK+- means
      > BonoboUI and hopefully GNOMEUI components are getting removed).
      > c) It only adds a new load of complexity e.g. makes the VIM binary
      > bulkier by depending on a lot of not necessary libraries.

      The bonobo stuff is only used when compiling for GTK 2 with Gnome
      support. I generally discourage compiling with Gnome, it has its
      problems. This is mentioned in the Makefile.

      If you compile without Gnome, which is the default, no bonobo stuff is
      used by Vim. If a bonobo library is still linked in then it's because
      of a dependency.

      --
      Scientists decoded the first message from an alien civilization:
      SIMPLY SEND 6 TIMES 10 TO THE 50 ATOMS OF HYDROGEN TO THE STAR

    • Ali Akcaagac
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
        On Sun, 2006-10-01 at 23:13 +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        > The bonobo stuff is only used when compiling for GTK 2 with Gnome
        > support. I generally discourage compiling with Gnome, it has its
        > problems. This is mentioned in the Makefile.
        >
        > If you compile without Gnome, which is the default, no bonobo stuff is
        > used by Vim. If a bonobo library is still linked in then it's because
        > of a dependency.

        I do understand this. But what I tried explaining was that BonoboUI is
        deprecated. That means it's dead stuff from within GNOME which should
        not be used anymore (from what the developers say). So basicly there is
        no need for extra GNOME GUI components anymore since the encouraged and
        recommended way to do GNOME GUI is by using GTK+ GUI (from what the
        developers say). The only interesting part therefore remains is the
        session management.

        greetings,

        Ali Akcaagac
      • A.J.Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
          Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          [...]
          > The bonobo stuff is only used when compiling for GTK 2 with Gnome
          > support. I generally discourage compiling with Gnome, it has its
          > problems. This is mentioned in the Makefile.
          [...]

          Yes, I saw that warning, and decided to try --enable-gnome-check nevertheless,
          just to see what these problems were. None of them has bitten me yet.

        • Laurent Blume
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
            Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            > Is "/usr/sfw" a standard place for something? Then perhaps configure
            > should be adjusted to check it.

            Checked that. No need anymore for it. Ir probably dated from my first
            builds on the Solaris 10 beta, 2 years ago.

            Laurent
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 2, 2006
              Ali Akcaagac wrote:

              > On Sun, 2006-10-01 at 23:13 +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
              > > The bonobo stuff is only used when compiling for GTK 2 with Gnome
              > > support. I generally discourage compiling with Gnome, it has its
              > > problems. This is mentioned in the Makefile.
              > >
              > > If you compile without Gnome, which is the default, no bonobo stuff is
              > > used by Vim. If a bonobo library is still linked in then it's because
              > > of a dependency.
              >
              > I do understand this. But what I tried explaining was that BonoboUI is
              > deprecated. That means it's dead stuff from within GNOME which should
              > not be used anymore (from what the developers say). So basicly there is
              > no need for extra GNOME GUI components anymore since the encouraged and
              > recommended way to do GNOME GUI is by using GTK+ GUI (from what the
              > developers say). The only interesting part therefore remains is the
              > session management.

              Perhaps someone who knows the details about Gnome can make the changes,
              test it and send us a patch? Obviously I don't have time to learn the
              "proper use" of Gnome libraries.

              --
              The acknowledged parents of reengineering are Michael Hammer and James Champy.
              When I say they're the "parents" I don't mean they had sex - and I apologize