Re: gvim segfaulting on Solaris 10

  • Ali Akcaagac
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
      On Sun, 2006-10-01 at 19:16 +0200, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
      > > -Wl,--export-dynamic

      This line tells the linker to link only necessary libraries dynamically.
      Rather than linking everything. This makes files usually become smaller
      and loading up much faster. This is no "hack" it's a valid linker
      instruction.

      > Seeing that there is a configure option for GNOME (--enable-gnome-check) I
      > tend to use that rather than a CFLAGS hack; and at the end of make, it tries
      > to remove the libs one by one, then re-links with some libraries removed.
      > IIUC, the bonobo libs are kept in.
      >
      > "readelf -d `which vim` |grep bonobo" gives the following:
      >
      > 0x00000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libbonoboui-2.so.0]
      > 0x00000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libbonobo-2.so.0]
      > 0x00000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libbonobo-activation.so.4]

      Interesting!

      After grep'ing through the VIM source I really detected Bonobo Dockitems
      inside it. Unfortunately that's all "soon to be" deprecated stuff and
      should be avoided as much as possible..

      Why this ?

      a) BonoboUI elements are dead stuff and will be removed pretty soon.
      I only wish this stuff would have happened a few years earlier.
      b) The recommended way for GNOME and GTK+ GUI's is by using GTK+ (This
      is not just my idea but a regular advise because of the fact that all
      GUI elements for GTK+ and GNOME will move inside GTK+- means
      BonoboUI and hopefully GNOMEUI components are getting removed).
      c) It only adds a new load of complexity e.g. makes the VIM binary
      bulkier by depending on a lot of not necessary libraries.

      greetings,

      Ali Akcaagac
    • A.J.Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
        Ali Akcaagac wrote:
        > On Sun, 2006-10-01 at 19:16 +0200, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
        >>> -Wl,--export-dynamic
        >
        > This line tells the linker to link only necessary libraries dynamically.
        > Rather than linking everything. This makes files usually become smaller
        > and loading up much faster. This is no "hack" it's a valid linker
        > instruction.
        >
        >> Seeing that there is a configure option for GNOME (--enable-gnome-check) I
        >> tend to use that rather than a CFLAGS hack; and at the end of make, it tries
        >> to remove the libs one by one, then re-links with some libraries removed.
        >> IIUC, the bonobo libs are kept in.
        >>
        >> "readelf -d `which vim` |grep bonobo" gives the following:
        >>
        >> 0x00000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libbonoboui-2.so.0]
        >> 0x00000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libbonobo-2.so.0]
        >> 0x00000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libbonobo-activation.so.4]
        >
        > Interesting!
        >
        > After grep'ing through the VIM source I really detected Bonobo Dockitems
        > inside it. Unfortunately that's all "soon to be" deprecated stuff and
        > should be avoided as much as possible..
        >
        > Why this ?
        >
        > a) BonoboUI elements are dead stuff and will be removed pretty soon.
        > I only wish this stuff would have happened a few years earlier.
        > b) The recommended way for GNOME and GTK+ GUI's is by using GTK+ (This
        > is not just my idea but a regular advise because of the fact that all
        > GUI elements for GTK+ and GNOME will move inside GTK+- means
        > BonoboUI and hopefully GNOMEUI components are getting removed).
        > c) It only adds a new load of complexity e.g. makes the VIM binary
        > bulkier by depending on a lot of not necessary libraries.
        >
        > greetings,
        >
        > Ali Akcaagac

        You can compile Vim with GTK+1 or GTK+2 without GNOME. Adding GNOME
        functionality means, among other things maybe, that gvim will automagically
        and transparently save its session (with a pseudorandom name like
        ~/.gnome2/vim-WSj1NP-session.vim so it doesn't collide with your own sessions
        if any) when you close the GNOME or kde window manager.

      • Ali Akcaagac
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
          On Sun, 2006-10-01 at 20:59 +0200, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
          > You can compile Vim with GTK+1 or GTK+2 without GNOME. Adding GNOME
          > functionality means, among other things maybe, that gvim will automagically
          > and transparently save its session (with a pseudorandom name like
          > ~/.gnome2/vim-WSj1NP-session.vim so it doesn't collide with your own sessions
          > if any) when you close the GNOME or kde window manager.

          No doubt, but this is not what I wrote about in my last reply.

          greetings,

          Ali Akcaagac
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
            Ali Akcaagac wrote:

            > After grep'ing through the VIM source I really detected Bonobo Dockitems
            > inside it. Unfortunately that's all "soon to be" deprecated stuff and
            > should be avoided as much as possible..
            >
            > Why this ?
            >
            > a) BonoboUI elements are dead stuff and will be removed pretty soon.
            > I only wish this stuff would have happened a few years earlier.
            > b) The recommended way for GNOME and GTK+ GUI's is by using GTK+ (This
            > is not just my idea but a regular advise because of the fact that all
            > GUI elements for GTK+ and GNOME will move inside GTK+- means
            > BonoboUI and hopefully GNOMEUI components are getting removed).
            > c) It only adds a new load of complexity e.g. makes the VIM binary
            > bulkier by depending on a lot of not necessary libraries.

            The bonobo stuff is only used when compiling for GTK 2 with Gnome
            support. I generally discourage compiling with Gnome, it has its
            problems. This is mentioned in the Makefile.

            If you compile without Gnome, which is the default, no bonobo stuff is
            used by Vim. If a bonobo library is still linked in then it's because
            of a dependency.

            --
            Scientists decoded the first message from an alien civilization:
            SIMPLY SEND 6 TIMES 10 TO THE 50 ATOMS OF HYDROGEN TO THE STAR

          • Ali Akcaagac
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
              On Sun, 2006-10-01 at 23:13 +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
              > The bonobo stuff is only used when compiling for GTK 2 with Gnome
              > support. I generally discourage compiling with Gnome, it has its
              > problems. This is mentioned in the Makefile.
              >
              > If you compile without Gnome, which is the default, no bonobo stuff is
              > used by Vim. If a bonobo library is still linked in then it's because
              > of a dependency.

              I do understand this. But what I tried explaining was that BonoboUI is
              deprecated. That means it's dead stuff from within GNOME which should
              not be used anymore (from what the developers say). So basicly there is
              no need for extra GNOME GUI components anymore since the encouraged and
              recommended way to do GNOME GUI is by using GTK+ GUI (from what the
              developers say). The only interesting part therefore remains is the
              session management.

              greetings,

              Ali Akcaagac
            • A.J.Mechelynck
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
                Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                [...]
                > The bonobo stuff is only used when compiling for GTK 2 with Gnome
                > support. I generally discourage compiling with Gnome, it has its
                > problems. This is mentioned in the Makefile.
                [...]

                Yes, I saw that warning, and decided to try --enable-gnome-check nevertheless,
                just to see what these problems were. None of them has bitten me yet.

              • Laurent Blume
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
                  Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                  > Is "/usr/sfw" a standard place for something? Then perhaps configure
                  > should be adjusted to check it.

                  Checked that. No need anymore for it. Ir probably dated from my first
                  builds on the Solaris 10 beta, 2 years ago.

                  Laurent
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 2, 2006
                    Ali Akcaagac wrote:

                    > On Sun, 2006-10-01 at 23:13 +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                    > > The bonobo stuff is only used when compiling for GTK 2 with Gnome
                    > > support. I generally discourage compiling with Gnome, it has its
                    > > problems. This is mentioned in the Makefile.
                    > >
                    > > If you compile without Gnome, which is the default, no bonobo stuff is
                    > > used by Vim. If a bonobo library is still linked in then it's because
                    > > of a dependency.
                    >
                    > I do understand this. But what I tried explaining was that BonoboUI is
                    > deprecated. That means it's dead stuff from within GNOME which should
                    > not be used anymore (from what the developers say). So basicly there is
                    > no need for extra GNOME GUI components anymore since the encouraged and
                    > recommended way to do GNOME GUI is by using GTK+ GUI (from what the
                    > developers say). The only interesting part therefore remains is the
                    > session management.

                    Perhaps someone who knows the details about Gnome can make the changes,
                    test it and send us a patch? Obviously I don't have time to learn the
                    "proper use" of Gnome libraries.

                    --
                    The acknowledged parents of reengineering are Michael Hammer and James Champy.
                    When I say they're the "parents" I don't mean they had sex - and I apologize