Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: gvim segfaulting on Solaris 10

Expand Messages
  • A.J.Mechelynck
    ... It s not only on Solaris. On SuSE Linux 9.3, when I build gvim for Gnome2, I get [...] -I/opt/gnome/include/libbonobo-2.0 [...]
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
      Ali Akcaagac wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > For what reasons does gVIM require Bonobo on Solaris ?
      >
      > mfg,
      >
      > Ali Akcaagac
      >
      >
      >

      It's not only on Solaris. On SuSE Linux 9.3, when I build gvim for Gnome2, I
      get [...] -I/opt/gnome/include/libbonobo-2.0 [...]
      -I/opt/gnome/include/bonobo-activation-2.0 [...] on the compilation line and
      [...] -lbonoboui-2 [...] -lbonobo-2 [...] -lbonobo-activation [...] on the
      link line. I think it's GNOME stuff, seeing where the include files are
      located. Now gvim does not require GNOME either, it's just one of the
      compile-time options you can turn on.


      Best regards,
      Tony.
    • Ali Akcaagac
      ... Actually readelf -d gvim will tell you exactly what libraries are linked against it. I seriously doubt that bonobo is required for gvim, regardless
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
        On Sun, 2006-10-01 at 18:00 +0200, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
        > It's not only on Solaris. On SuSE Linux 9.3, when I build gvim for Gnome2, I
        > get [...] -I/opt/gnome/include/libbonobo-2.0 [...]
        > -I/opt/gnome/include/bonobo-activation-2.0 [...] on the compilation line and
        > [...] -lbonoboui-2 [...] -lbonobo-2 [...] -lbonobo-activation [...] on the
        > link line. I think it's GNOME stuff, seeing where the include files are
        > located. Now gvim does not require GNOME either, it's just one of the
        > compile-time options you can turn on.

        Actually 'readelf -d gvim' will tell you exactly what libraries are
        linked against it. I seriously doubt that bonobo is required for gvim,
        regardless whether it's mentioned or not. This stuff usually is checked
        trough pkgconfig cross dependencies or through gnome-common. I think the
        best way linking against GNOME is by providing on the CFLAGS line.

        -Wl,--export-dynamic

        greetings,

        Ali Akcaagac
      • A.J.Mechelynck
        ... Seeing that there is a configure option for GNOME (--enable-gnome-check) I tend to use that rather than a CFLAGS hack; and at the end of make, it tries to
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
          Ali Akcaagac wrote:
          > On Sun, 2006-10-01 at 18:00 +0200, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
          >> It's not only on Solaris. On SuSE Linux 9.3, when I build gvim for Gnome2, I
          >> get [...] -I/opt/gnome/include/libbonobo-2.0 [...]
          >> -I/opt/gnome/include/bonobo-activation-2.0 [...] on the compilation line and
          >> [...] -lbonoboui-2 [...] -lbonobo-2 [...] -lbonobo-activation [...] on the
          >> link line. I think it's GNOME stuff, seeing where the include files are
          >> located. Now gvim does not require GNOME either, it's just one of the
          >> compile-time options you can turn on.
          >
          > Actually 'readelf -d gvim' will tell you exactly what libraries are
          > linked against it. I seriously doubt that bonobo is required for gvim,
          > regardless whether it's mentioned or not. This stuff usually is checked
          > trough pkgconfig cross dependencies or through gnome-common. I think the
          > best way linking against GNOME is by providing on the CFLAGS line.
          >
          > -Wl,--export-dynamic
          >
          > greetings,
          >
          > Ali Akcaagac
          >
          >
          >

          Seeing that there is a configure option for GNOME (--enable-gnome-check) I
          tend to use that rather than a CFLAGS hack; and at the end of make, it tries
          to remove the libs one by one, then re-links with some libraries removed.
          IIUC, the bonobo libs are kept in.

          "readelf -d `which vim` |grep bonobo" gives the following:

          0x00000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libbonoboui-2.so.0]
          0x00000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libbonobo-2.so.0]
          0x00000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libbonobo-activation.so.4]


          Best regards,
          Tony.
        • Ali Akcaagac
          ... This line tells the linker to link only necessary libraries dynamically. Rather than linking everything. This makes files usually become smaller and
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
            On Sun, 2006-10-01 at 19:16 +0200, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
            > > -Wl,--export-dynamic

            This line tells the linker to link only necessary libraries dynamically.
            Rather than linking everything. This makes files usually become smaller
            and loading up much faster. This is no "hack" it's a valid linker
            instruction.

            > Seeing that there is a configure option for GNOME (--enable-gnome-check) I
            > tend to use that rather than a CFLAGS hack; and at the end of make, it tries
            > to remove the libs one by one, then re-links with some libraries removed.
            > IIUC, the bonobo libs are kept in.
            >
            > "readelf -d `which vim` |grep bonobo" gives the following:
            >
            > 0x00000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libbonoboui-2.so.0]
            > 0x00000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libbonobo-2.so.0]
            > 0x00000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libbonobo-activation.so.4]

            Interesting!

            After grep'ing through the VIM source I really detected Bonobo Dockitems
            inside it. Unfortunately that's all "soon to be" deprecated stuff and
            should be avoided as much as possible..

            Why this ?

            a) BonoboUI elements are dead stuff and will be removed pretty soon.
            I only wish this stuff would have happened a few years earlier.
            b) The recommended way for GNOME and GTK+ GUI's is by using GTK+ (This
            is not just my idea but a regular advise because of the fact that all
            GUI elements for GTK+ and GNOME will move inside GTK+- means
            BonoboUI and hopefully GNOMEUI components are getting removed).
            c) It only adds a new load of complexity e.g. makes the VIM binary
            bulkier by depending on a lot of not necessary libraries.

            greetings,

            Ali Akcaagac
          • A.J.Mechelynck
            ... You can compile Vim with GTK+1 or GTK+2 without GNOME. Adding GNOME functionality means, among other things maybe, that gvim will automagically and
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
              Ali Akcaagac wrote:
              > On Sun, 2006-10-01 at 19:16 +0200, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
              >>> -Wl,--export-dynamic
              >
              > This line tells the linker to link only necessary libraries dynamically.
              > Rather than linking everything. This makes files usually become smaller
              > and loading up much faster. This is no "hack" it's a valid linker
              > instruction.
              >
              >> Seeing that there is a configure option for GNOME (--enable-gnome-check) I
              >> tend to use that rather than a CFLAGS hack; and at the end of make, it tries
              >> to remove the libs one by one, then re-links with some libraries removed.
              >> IIUC, the bonobo libs are kept in.
              >>
              >> "readelf -d `which vim` |grep bonobo" gives the following:
              >>
              >> 0x00000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libbonoboui-2.so.0]
              >> 0x00000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libbonobo-2.so.0]
              >> 0x00000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libbonobo-activation.so.4]
              >
              > Interesting!
              >
              > After grep'ing through the VIM source I really detected Bonobo Dockitems
              > inside it. Unfortunately that's all "soon to be" deprecated stuff and
              > should be avoided as much as possible..
              >
              > Why this ?
              >
              > a) BonoboUI elements are dead stuff and will be removed pretty soon.
              > I only wish this stuff would have happened a few years earlier.
              > b) The recommended way for GNOME and GTK+ GUI's is by using GTK+ (This
              > is not just my idea but a regular advise because of the fact that all
              > GUI elements for GTK+ and GNOME will move inside GTK+- means
              > BonoboUI and hopefully GNOMEUI components are getting removed).
              > c) It only adds a new load of complexity e.g. makes the VIM binary
              > bulkier by depending on a lot of not necessary libraries.
              >
              > greetings,
              >
              > Ali Akcaagac
              >
              >
              >

              You can compile Vim with GTK+1 or GTK+2 without GNOME. Adding GNOME
              functionality means, among other things maybe, that gvim will automagically
              and transparently save its session (with a pseudorandom name like
              ~/.gnome2/vim-WSj1NP-session.vim so it doesn't collide with your own sessions
              if any) when you close the GNOME or kde window manager.


              Best regards,
              Tony.
            • Ali Akcaagac
              ... No doubt, but this is not what I wrote about in my last reply. greetings, Ali Akcaagac
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
                On Sun, 2006-10-01 at 20:59 +0200, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
                > You can compile Vim with GTK+1 or GTK+2 without GNOME. Adding GNOME
                > functionality means, among other things maybe, that gvim will automagically
                > and transparently save its session (with a pseudorandom name like
                > ~/.gnome2/vim-WSj1NP-session.vim so it doesn't collide with your own sessions
                > if any) when you close the GNOME or kde window manager.

                No doubt, but this is not what I wrote about in my last reply.

                greetings,

                Ali Akcaagac
              • Bram Moolenaar
                ... The bonobo stuff is only used when compiling for GTK 2 with Gnome support. I generally discourage compiling with Gnome, it has its problems. This is
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
                  Ali Akcaagac wrote:

                  > After grep'ing through the VIM source I really detected Bonobo Dockitems
                  > inside it. Unfortunately that's all "soon to be" deprecated stuff and
                  > should be avoided as much as possible..
                  >
                  > Why this ?
                  >
                  > a) BonoboUI elements are dead stuff and will be removed pretty soon.
                  > I only wish this stuff would have happened a few years earlier.
                  > b) The recommended way for GNOME and GTK+ GUI's is by using GTK+ (This
                  > is not just my idea but a regular advise because of the fact that all
                  > GUI elements for GTK+ and GNOME will move inside GTK+- means
                  > BonoboUI and hopefully GNOMEUI components are getting removed).
                  > c) It only adds a new load of complexity e.g. makes the VIM binary
                  > bulkier by depending on a lot of not necessary libraries.

                  The bonobo stuff is only used when compiling for GTK 2 with Gnome
                  support. I generally discourage compiling with Gnome, it has its
                  problems. This is mentioned in the Makefile.

                  If you compile without Gnome, which is the default, no bonobo stuff is
                  used by Vim. If a bonobo library is still linked in then it's because
                  of a dependency.

                  --
                  Scientists decoded the first message from an alien civilization:
                  SIMPLY SEND 6 TIMES 10 TO THE 50 ATOMS OF HYDROGEN TO THE STAR
                  SYSTEM AT THE TOP OF THE LIST, CROSS OFF THAT STAR SYSTEM, THEN PUT
                  YOUR STAR SYSTEM AT THE BOTTOM OF THE LIST AND SEND IT TO 100 OTHER
                  STAR SYSTEMS. WITHIN ONE TENTH GALACTIC ROTATION YOU WILL RECEIVE
                  ENOUGH HYDROGREN TO POWER YOUR CIVILIZATION UNTIL ENTROPY REACHES ITS
                  MAXIMUM! IT REALLY WORKS!

                  /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://www.Moolenaar.net \\\
                  /// sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
                  \\\ download, build and distribute -- http://www.A-A-P.org ///
                  \\\ help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org ///
                • Ali Akcaagac
                  ... I do understand this. But what I tried explaining was that BonoboUI is deprecated. That means it s dead stuff from within GNOME which should not be used
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
                    On Sun, 2006-10-01 at 23:13 +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                    > The bonobo stuff is only used when compiling for GTK 2 with Gnome
                    > support. I generally discourage compiling with Gnome, it has its
                    > problems. This is mentioned in the Makefile.
                    >
                    > If you compile without Gnome, which is the default, no bonobo stuff is
                    > used by Vim. If a bonobo library is still linked in then it's because
                    > of a dependency.

                    I do understand this. But what I tried explaining was that BonoboUI is
                    deprecated. That means it's dead stuff from within GNOME which should
                    not be used anymore (from what the developers say). So basicly there is
                    no need for extra GNOME GUI components anymore since the encouraged and
                    recommended way to do GNOME GUI is by using GTK+ GUI (from what the
                    developers say). The only interesting part therefore remains is the
                    session management.

                    greetings,

                    Ali Akcaagac
                  • A.J.Mechelynck
                    Bram Moolenaar wrote: [...] ... [...] Yes, I saw that warning, and decided to try --enable-gnome-check nevertheless, just to see what these problems were. None
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
                      Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                      [...]
                      > The bonobo stuff is only used when compiling for GTK 2 with Gnome
                      > support. I generally discourage compiling with Gnome, it has its
                      > problems. This is mentioned in the Makefile.
                      [...]

                      Yes, I saw that warning, and decided to try --enable-gnome-check nevertheless,
                      just to see what these problems were. None of them has bitten me yet.


                      Best regards,
                      Tony.
                    • Laurent Blume
                      ... Checked that. No need anymore for it. Ir probably dated from my first builds on the Solaris 10 beta, 2 years ago. Laurent
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
                        Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                        > Is "/usr/sfw" a standard place for something? Then perhaps configure
                        > should be adjusted to check it.

                        Checked that. No need anymore for it. Ir probably dated from my first
                        builds on the Solaris 10 beta, 2 years ago.

                        Laurent
                      • Bram Moolenaar
                        ... Perhaps someone who knows the details about Gnome can make the changes, test it and send us a patch? Obviously I don t have time to learn the proper use
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 2, 2006
                          Ali Akcaagac wrote:

                          > On Sun, 2006-10-01 at 23:13 +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                          > > The bonobo stuff is only used when compiling for GTK 2 with Gnome
                          > > support. I generally discourage compiling with Gnome, it has its
                          > > problems. This is mentioned in the Makefile.
                          > >
                          > > If you compile without Gnome, which is the default, no bonobo stuff is
                          > > used by Vim. If a bonobo library is still linked in then it's because
                          > > of a dependency.
                          >
                          > I do understand this. But what I tried explaining was that BonoboUI is
                          > deprecated. That means it's dead stuff from within GNOME which should
                          > not be used anymore (from what the developers say). So basicly there is
                          > no need for extra GNOME GUI components anymore since the encouraged and
                          > recommended way to do GNOME GUI is by using GTK+ GUI (from what the
                          > developers say). The only interesting part therefore remains is the
                          > session management.

                          Perhaps someone who knows the details about Gnome can make the changes,
                          test it and send us a patch? Obviously I don't have time to learn the
                          "proper use" of Gnome libraries.

                          --
                          The acknowledged parents of reengineering are Michael Hammer and James Champy.
                          When I say they're the "parents" I don't mean they had sex - and I apologize
                          for making you think about it. I mean they wrote the best-selling business
                          book _Reengineering the Corporation_, which was published in 1993.
                          Businesses flocked to reengineering like frat boys to a drunken
                          cheerleader. (This analogy wasn't necessary, but I'm trying to get my mind
                          off that Hammer and Champy thing.)
                          (Scott Adams - The Dilbert principle)

                          /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://www.Moolenaar.net \\\
                          /// sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
                          \\\ download, build and distribute -- http://www.A-A-P.org ///
                          \\\ help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org ///
                        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.