Re: gvim segfaulting on Solaris 10

  • Laurent Blume
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
      Ali Akcaagac a écrit :
      > For what reasons does gVIM require Bonobo on Solaris ?

      It's not gvim asking for it, but the JDS/GNOME libs (modified by Sun for
      the accessibility stuff).

      Laurent
    • A.J.Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
        Ali Akcaagac wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > For what reasons does gVIM require Bonobo on Solaris ?
        >
        > mfg,
        >
        > Ali Akcaagac

        It's not only on Solaris. On SuSE Linux 9.3, when I build gvim for Gnome2, I
        get [...] -I/opt/gnome/include/libbonobo-2.0 [...]
        -I/opt/gnome/include/bonobo-activation-2.0 [...] on the compilation line and
        [...] -lbonoboui-2 [...] -lbonobo-2 [...] -lbonobo-activation [...] on the
        link line. I think it's GNOME stuff, seeing where the include files are
        located. Now gvim does not require GNOME either, it's just one of the
        compile-time options you can turn on.

      • Ali Akcaagac
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
          On Sun, 2006-10-01 at 18:00 +0200, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
          > It's not only on Solaris. On SuSE Linux 9.3, when I build gvim for Gnome2, I
          > get [...] -I/opt/gnome/include/libbonobo-2.0 [...]
          > -I/opt/gnome/include/bonobo-activation-2.0 [...] on the compilation line and
          > [...] -lbonoboui-2 [...] -lbonobo-2 [...] -lbonobo-activation [...] on the
          > link line. I think it's GNOME stuff, seeing where the include files are
          > located. Now gvim does not require GNOME either, it's just one of the
          > compile-time options you can turn on.

          Actually 'readelf -d gvim' will tell you exactly what libraries are
          linked against it. I seriously doubt that bonobo is required for gvim,
          regardless whether it's mentioned or not. This stuff usually is checked
          trough pkgconfig cross dependencies or through gnome-common. I think the
          best way linking against GNOME is by providing on the CFLAGS line.

          -Wl,--export-dynamic

          greetings,

          Ali Akcaagac
        • A.J.Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
            Ali Akcaagac wrote:
            > On Sun, 2006-10-01 at 18:00 +0200, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
            >> It's not only on Solaris. On SuSE Linux 9.3, when I build gvim for Gnome2, I
            >> get [...] -I/opt/gnome/include/libbonobo-2.0 [...]
            >> -I/opt/gnome/include/bonobo-activation-2.0 [...] on the compilation line and
            >> [...] -lbonoboui-2 [...] -lbonobo-2 [...] -lbonobo-activation [...] on the
            >> link line. I think it's GNOME stuff, seeing where the include files are
            >> located. Now gvim does not require GNOME either, it's just one of the
            >> compile-time options you can turn on.
            >
            > Actually 'readelf -d gvim' will tell you exactly what libraries are
            > linked against it. I seriously doubt that bonobo is required for gvim,
            > regardless whether it's mentioned or not. This stuff usually is checked
            > trough pkgconfig cross dependencies or through gnome-common. I think the
            > best way linking against GNOME is by providing on the CFLAGS line.
            >
            > -Wl,--export-dynamic
            >
            > greetings,
            >
            > Ali Akcaagac

            Seeing that there is a configure option for GNOME (--enable-gnome-check) I
            tend to use that rather than a CFLAGS hack; and at the end of make, it tries
            to remove the libs one by one, then re-links with some libraries removed.
            IIUC, the bonobo libs are kept in.

            "readelf -d `which vim` |grep bonobo" gives the following:

            0x00000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libbonoboui-2.so.0]
            0x00000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libbonobo-2.so.0]
            0x00000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libbonobo-activation.so.4]

          • Ali Akcaagac
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
              On Sun, 2006-10-01 at 19:16 +0200, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
              > > -Wl,--export-dynamic

              This line tells the linker to link only necessary libraries dynamically.
              Rather than linking everything. This makes files usually become smaller
              and loading up much faster. This is no "hack" it's a valid linker
              instruction.

              > Seeing that there is a configure option for GNOME (--enable-gnome-check) I
              > tend to use that rather than a CFLAGS hack; and at the end of make, it tries
              > to remove the libs one by one, then re-links with some libraries removed.
              > IIUC, the bonobo libs are kept in.
              >
              > "readelf -d `which vim` |grep bonobo" gives the following:
              >
              > 0x00000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libbonoboui-2.so.0]
              > 0x00000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libbonobo-2.so.0]
              > 0x00000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libbonobo-activation.so.4]

              Interesting!

              After grep'ing through the VIM source I really detected Bonobo Dockitems
              inside it. Unfortunately that's all "soon to be" deprecated stuff and
              should be avoided as much as possible..

              Why this ?

              a) BonoboUI elements are dead stuff and will be removed pretty soon.
              I only wish this stuff would have happened a few years earlier.
              b) The recommended way for GNOME and GTK+ GUI's is by using GTK+ (This
              is not just my idea but a regular advise because of the fact that all
              GUI elements for GTK+ and GNOME will move inside GTK+- means
              BonoboUI and hopefully GNOMEUI components are getting removed).
              c) It only adds a new load of complexity e.g. makes the VIM binary
              bulkier by depending on a lot of not necessary libraries.

              greetings,

              Ali Akcaagac
            • A.J.Mechelynck
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
                Ali Akcaagac wrote:
                > On Sun, 2006-10-01 at 19:16 +0200, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
                >>> -Wl,--export-dynamic
                >
                > This line tells the linker to link only necessary libraries dynamically.
                > Rather than linking everything. This makes files usually become smaller
                > and loading up much faster. This is no "hack" it's a valid linker
                > instruction.
                >
                >> Seeing that there is a configure option for GNOME (--enable-gnome-check) I
                >> tend to use that rather than a CFLAGS hack; and at the end of make, it tries
                >> to remove the libs one by one, then re-links with some libraries removed.
                >> IIUC, the bonobo libs are kept in.
                >>
                >> "readelf -d `which vim` |grep bonobo" gives the following:
                >>
                >> 0x00000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libbonoboui-2.so.0]
                >> 0x00000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libbonobo-2.so.0]
                >> 0x00000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libbonobo-activation.so.4]
                >
                > Interesting!
                >
                > After grep'ing through the VIM source I really detected Bonobo Dockitems
                > inside it. Unfortunately that's all "soon to be" deprecated stuff and
                > should be avoided as much as possible..
                >
                > Why this ?
                >
                > a) BonoboUI elements are dead stuff and will be removed pretty soon.
                > I only wish this stuff would have happened a few years earlier.
                > b) The recommended way for GNOME and GTK+ GUI's is by using GTK+ (This
                > is not just my idea but a regular advise because of the fact that all
                > GUI elements for GTK+ and GNOME will move inside GTK+- means
                > BonoboUI and hopefully GNOMEUI components are getting removed).
                > c) It only adds a new load of complexity e.g. makes the VIM binary
                > bulkier by depending on a lot of not necessary libraries.
                >
                > greetings,
                >
                > Ali Akcaagac

                You can compile Vim with GTK+1 or GTK+2 without GNOME. Adding GNOME
                functionality means, among other things maybe, that gvim will automagically
                and transparently save its session (with a pseudorandom name like
                ~/.gnome2/vim-WSj1NP-session.vim so it doesn't collide with your own sessions
                if any) when you close the GNOME or kde window manager.

              • Ali Akcaagac
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
                  On Sun, 2006-10-01 at 20:59 +0200, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
                  > You can compile Vim with GTK+1 or GTK+2 without GNOME. Adding GNOME
                  > functionality means, among other things maybe, that gvim will automagically
                  > and transparently save its session (with a pseudorandom name like
                  > ~/.gnome2/vim-WSj1NP-session.vim so it doesn't collide with your own sessions
                  > if any) when you close the GNOME or kde window manager.

                  No doubt, but this is not what I wrote about in my last reply.

                  greetings,

                  Ali Akcaagac
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
                    Ali Akcaagac wrote:

                    > After grep'ing through the VIM source I really detected Bonobo Dockitems
                    > inside it. Unfortunately that's all "soon to be" deprecated stuff and
                    > should be avoided as much as possible..
                    >
                    > Why this ?
                    >
                    > a) BonoboUI elements are dead stuff and will be removed pretty soon.
                    > I only wish this stuff would have happened a few years earlier.
                    > b) The recommended way for GNOME and GTK+ GUI's is by using GTK+ (This
                    > is not just my idea but a regular advise because of the fact that all
                    > GUI elements for GTK+ and GNOME will move inside GTK+- means
                    > BonoboUI and hopefully GNOMEUI components are getting removed).
                    > c) It only adds a new load of complexity e.g. makes the VIM binary
                    > bulkier by depending on a lot of not necessary libraries.

                    The bonobo stuff is only used when compiling for GTK 2 with Gnome
                    support. I generally discourage compiling with Gnome, it has its
                    problems. This is mentioned in the Makefile.

                    If you compile without Gnome, which is the default, no bonobo stuff is
                    used by Vim. If a bonobo library is still linked in then it's because
                    of a dependency.

                    --
                    Scientists decoded the first message from an alien civilization:
                    SIMPLY SEND 6 TIMES 10 TO THE 50 ATOMS OF HYDROGEN TO THE STAR

                  • Ali Akcaagac
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
                      On Sun, 2006-10-01 at 23:13 +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                      > The bonobo stuff is only used when compiling for GTK 2 with Gnome
                      > support. I generally discourage compiling with Gnome, it has its
                      > problems. This is mentioned in the Makefile.
                      >
                      > If you compile without Gnome, which is the default, no bonobo stuff is
                      > used by Vim. If a bonobo library is still linked in then it's because
                      > of a dependency.

                      I do understand this. But what I tried explaining was that BonoboUI is
                      deprecated. That means it's dead stuff from within GNOME which should
                      not be used anymore (from what the developers say). So basicly there is
                      no need for extra GNOME GUI components anymore since the encouraged and
                      recommended way to do GNOME GUI is by using GTK+ GUI (from what the
                      developers say). The only interesting part therefore remains is the
                      session management.

                      greetings,

                      Ali Akcaagac
                    • A.J.Mechelynck
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
                        Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                        [...]
                        > The bonobo stuff is only used when compiling for GTK 2 with Gnome
                        > support. I generally discourage compiling with Gnome, it has its
                        > problems. This is mentioned in the Makefile.
                        [...]

                        Yes, I saw that warning, and decided to try --enable-gnome-check nevertheless,
                        just to see what these problems were. None of them has bitten me yet.

                      • Laurent Blume
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
                          Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                          > Is "/usr/sfw" a standard place for something? Then perhaps configure
                          > should be adjusted to check it.

                          Checked that. No need anymore for it. Ir probably dated from my first
                          builds on the Solaris 10 beta, 2 years ago.

                          Laurent
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 2, 2006
                            Ali Akcaagac wrote:

                            > On Sun, 2006-10-01 at 23:13 +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                            > > The bonobo stuff is only used when compiling for GTK 2 with Gnome
                            > > support. I generally discourage compiling with Gnome, it has its
                            > > problems. This is mentioned in the Makefile.
                            > >
                            > > If you compile without Gnome, which is the default, no bonobo stuff is
                            > > used by Vim. If a bonobo library is still linked in then it's because
                            > > of a dependency.
                            >
                            > I do understand this. But what I tried explaining was that BonoboUI is
                            > deprecated. That means it's dead stuff from within GNOME which should
                            > not be used anymore (from what the developers say). So basicly there is
                            > no need for extra GNOME GUI components anymore since the encouraged and
                            > recommended way to do GNOME GUI is by using GTK+ GUI (from what the
                            > developers say). The only interesting part therefore remains is the
                            > session management.

                            Perhaps someone who knows the details about Gnome can make the changes,
                            test it and send us a patch? Obviously I don't have time to learn the
                            "proper use" of Gnome libraries.

                            --
                            The acknowledged parents of reengineering are Michael Hammer and James Champy.
                            When I say they're the "parents" I don't mean they had sex - and I apologize