Re: Searching for selected text

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2006
      Tony Mechelynck wrote:

      > Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > > Sometimes people ask me for a command to search for the text that is
      > > currently visually selected. You could add a mapping for the '/' key,
      > > but then you lose the possibility to extend the visual area by
      > > searching for a pattern.
      > >
      > > Since we might need more commands in Visual mode later, and we only have
      > > a few keys left to be used, we need to use two key combinations for
      > > new commands in Visual mode.
      > >
      > > I think we can start using the '&' key. Currently it doesn't do
      > > anything. For now we could add the commands:
      > >
      > > &/ search for the Visually selected text forward
      > > &? same, backward
      > >
      > > Is there a good alternative?
      > >

      > & does do something, but maybe we can do without that, since ":s//~/"
      > does the same (repeat last substitute without the flags) -- it needs
      > six keystrokes instead of one though.

      "&" currently only does something in Normal mode, not in Visual mode.

      --
      BEDEVERE: And what do you burn, apart from witches?
      FOURTH VILLAGER: ... Wood?

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2006
        Yakov Lerner wrote:

        > > Sometimes people ask me for a command to search for the text that is
        > > currently visually selected. You could add a mapping for the '/' key,
        > > but then you lose the possibility to extend the visual area by
        > > searching for a pattern.
        > >
        > > Since we might need more commands in Visual mode later, and we only have
        > > a few keys left to be used, we need to use two key combinations for
        > > new commands in Visual mode.
        > >
        > > I think we can start using the '&' key. Currently it doesn't do
        > > anything. For now we could add the commands:
        > >
        > > &/ search for the Visually selected text forward
        > > &? same, backward
        >
        > Do Ctrl-K/ Ctrl-K? do something in visual mode ?

        No, but CTRL-K is also unused in Normal mode. Thus it's better used for
        something that works both in Visual and Normal mode.

        --
        Back off man, I'm a scientist.
        -- Peter, Ghostbusters

      • Charles E Campbell Jr
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2006
          Bram Moolenaar wrote:

          >Matt Mzyzik wrote:
          >

          >>I don't like this one more, but it's a good alternative:
          >> g/
          >> g?
          >>
          >>Also, I feel that one day "&" might do something in visual; at least
          >>visual line mode.
          >>

          >"g?" is already used for rot13 encoding.
          >
          >"g/" is scheduled to be used to search inside the selected area

          Hmm -- g/ sounds a lot like vis.vim's :S command for searching a visual
          block for
          a pattern. It works with V, v, and ctrl-v type visual blocks.

          Regards,
          Chip Campbell