Convert2HTML Again

  • Edd Barrett
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 1, 2006
      (Sorry if you recieve this twice, I don't think the first one made it
      onto the list for whatever reason.)

      On 26/09/06, Edd Barrett <vext01@...> wrote:
      > Ill add this in as soon as I can, but university work is coming in
      > hard at the moment so it might not be until the weekend.

      Greetings all,

      Hope your enjoying your weekend.

      As promised i have ammended the patch. I have run some tests as before
      and uploaded them (along with the new patch) here:

      http://arameus.net/users/edd/vim-test2/

      All of the files with _courier.html as a suffix are with a font set
      using :let html_font="courier". This sets all css/font tags to this
      font and appends ", monospace" as a fallback incase the user does not
      have that font.

      Also i realized that style= in a body tag is css and replaced that
      with a big old font tag around the whole text if html_use_css is not
      set.

      Best Regards

      Edd
    • Edd Barrett
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 10, 2006
        On 01/10/06, Edd Barrett <vext01@...> wrote:

        > Hope your enjoying your weekend.
        >
        > As promised i have ammended the patch.

        Hi Guys,

        I havent recieved any feedback on this patch yet, did anyone get a
        chance to look at it?

        Sorry to be a bore.

        Best Regards

        Edd
      • Benji Fisher
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 10, 2006
          On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 01:40:04PM +0100, Edd Barrett wrote:
          > On 01/10/06, Edd Barrett <vext01@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Hope your enjoying your weekend.
          > >
          > >As promised i have ammended the patch.
          >

          > Hi Guys,
          >
          > I havent recieved any feedback on this patch yet, did anyone get a
          > chance to look at it?
          >
          > Sorry to be a bore.
          >
          > Best Regards
          >
          > Edd

          Be careful about what you ask (or wish) for: you just might get
          it! ;)

          The samples look fine to me (using Mozilla 1.7.12 on Linux). I
          would like to see an example where the background color changes, if only
          so that I can see some situation where

          looks simpler (by rudimentary measures such as character count) than

          How does the encoding get set? For example, in xhtml.html I see

          If I have
          :set enc=utf-8
          will I get utf-8 in that line?

          Have you actually tested for W3C compliance?

          Very minor points: you might want to change the line

          if exists("html_font")

          if exists("g:html_font")

          Some readers will find this clearer, and if those lines ever get wrapped
          in a function, then it will actually make a difference. Please fix the
          indentation in places like this:

          - if exists("use_xhtml")
          - let s:LeadingSpace = ' '
          - else
          let s:LeadingSpace = ' '
          - endif

          HTH --Benji Fisher
        • Edd Barrett
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 11, 2006
            Hi Guys,

            On 10/10/06, Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:
            > On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 01:40:04PM +0100, Edd Barrett wrote:

            > Be careful about what you ask (or wish) for: you just might get
            > it! ;)

            I tryed to make it sound as polite as i could, I'm not very good at
            this. My aplogies :)

            > The samples look fine to me (using Mozilla 1.7.12 on Linux). I
            > would like to see an example where the background color changes, if only
            > so that I can see some situation where

            > looks simpler (by rudimentary measures such as character count) than

            I'm not sure what you mean here. Please explain...

            > How does the encoding get set? For example, in xhtml.html I see

            > If I have
            > :set enc=utf-8
            > will I get utf-8 in that line?

            I have a feeling that this is hardcoded. Ill add it to my list.

            > Have you actually tested for W3C compliance?

            Yes. All 8 tests fully pass.

            > Very minor points: you might want to change the line
            >
            > if exists("html_font")

            > if exists("g:html_font")

            Will do

            > Some readers will find this clearer, and if those lines ever get wrapped
            > in a function, then it will actually make a difference. Please fix the
            > indentation in places like this:
            >
            > - if exists("use_xhtml")
            > - let s:LeadingSpace = ' '
            > - else
            > let s:LeadingSpace = ' '
            > - endif

            I thought I had. Ill have a look.

            > HTH --Benji Fisher

            Thanks for your time Benji!

            Best Regards

            Edd
          • Benji Fisher
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 12, 2006
              On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 06:48:47PM +0100, Edd Barrett wrote:

              > On 10/10/06, Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > The samples look fine to me (using Mozilla 1.7.12 on Linux). I
              > >would like to see an example where the background color changes, if only
              > >so that I can see some situation where

              > >looks simpler (by rudimentary measures such as character count) than

              > I'm not sure what you mean here. Please explain...

              I just mean that, looking at the above example and just thinking
              about how easy it is to read the source, there does not seem to be any
              advantage to using CSS. With CSS, there will be extra material in the
              header (defining the attributes for the foo class) and the markup in the
              body will be about as complicated. However, if the bar class defines
              foreground and background colors, then the CSS version will still have
              something like

              in the body, while the non-CSS version will have something like

              and now the CSS version is easier to read.

              If you add a syntax error to your example file, then it should show
              up with Error highlighting. With most color schemes, this will change
              the background color as well as the text color. Then we can see how
              this gets translated into HTML or XHTML.

              HTH --Benji Fisher
            • Edd Barrett
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 12, 2006
                On 12/10/06, Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:

                > in the body, while the non-CSS version will have something like

                > and now the CSS version is easier to read.

                Yes I see,

                If i had written this from scratch i would have not included <font>
                tags atall because they are depricated. I was just respecting the
                existing code to be honest. This would have to be something you take
                up with the original writer(?) or Bram(?).

                I'll check the syntax error highlight for you too.

                Will probably get a chance at the weekend.

                Thanks for your time.

                Best Regards

                Edd