Re: Searching for selected text

  • A.J.Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2006
      Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > Sometimes people ask me for a command to search for the text that is
      > currently visually selected. You could add a mapping for the '/' key,
      > but then you lose the possibility to extend the visual area by
      > searching for a pattern.
      >
      > Since we might need more commands in Visual mode later, and we only have
      > a few keys left to be used, we need to use two key combinations for
      > new commands in Visual mode.
      >
      > I think we can start using the '&' key. Currently it doesn't do
      > anything. For now we could add the commands:
      >
      > &/ search for the Visually selected text forward
      > &? same, backward
      >
      > Is there a good alternative?

      & does do something, but maybe we can do without that, since ":s//~/" does the
      same (repeat last substitute without the flags) -- it needs six keystrokes
      instead of one though.

    • Yakov Lerner
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2006

        > Sometimes people ask me for a command to search for the text that is
        > currently visually selected. You could add a mapping for the '/' key,
        > but then you lose the possibility to extend the visual area by
        > searching for a pattern.
        >
        > Since we might need more commands in Visual mode later, and we only have
        > a few keys left to be used, we need to use two key combinations for
        > new commands in Visual mode.
        >
        > I think we can start using the '&' key. Currently it doesn't do
        > anything. For now we could add the commands:
        >
        > &/ search for the Visually selected text forward
        > &? same, backward

        Do Ctrl-K/ Ctrl-K? do something in visual mode ?

        Yakov
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2006
          Tony Mechelynck wrote:

          > Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > > Sometimes people ask me for a command to search for the text that is
          > > currently visually selected. You could add a mapping for the '/' key,
          > > but then you lose the possibility to extend the visual area by
          > > searching for a pattern.
          > >
          > > Since we might need more commands in Visual mode later, and we only have
          > > a few keys left to be used, we need to use two key combinations for
          > > new commands in Visual mode.
          > >
          > > I think we can start using the '&' key. Currently it doesn't do
          > > anything. For now we could add the commands:
          > >
          > > &/ search for the Visually selected text forward
          > > &? same, backward
          > >
          > > Is there a good alternative?
          > >

          > & does do something, but maybe we can do without that, since ":s//~/"
          > does the same (repeat last substitute without the flags) -- it needs
          > six keystrokes instead of one though.

          "&" currently only does something in Normal mode, not in Visual mode.

          --
          BEDEVERE: And what do you burn, apart from witches?
          FOURTH VILLAGER: ... Wood?

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2006
            Yakov Lerner wrote:

            > > Sometimes people ask me for a command to search for the text that is
            > > currently visually selected. You could add a mapping for the '/' key,
            > > but then you lose the possibility to extend the visual area by
            > > searching for a pattern.
            > >
            > > Since we might need more commands in Visual mode later, and we only have
            > > a few keys left to be used, we need to use two key combinations for
            > > new commands in Visual mode.
            > >
            > > I think we can start using the '&' key. Currently it doesn't do
            > > anything. For now we could add the commands:
            > >
            > > &/ search for the Visually selected text forward
            > > &? same, backward
            >
            > Do Ctrl-K/ Ctrl-K? do something in visual mode ?

            No, but CTRL-K is also unused in Normal mode. Thus it's better used for
            something that works both in Visual and Normal mode.

            --
            Back off man, I'm a scientist.
            -- Peter, Ghostbusters

          • Charles E Campbell Jr
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 2, 2006
              Bram Moolenaar wrote:

              >Matt Mzyzik wrote:
              >

              >>I don't like this one more, but it's a good alternative:
              >> g/
              >> g?
              >>
              >>Also, I feel that one day "&" might do something in visual; at least
              >>visual line mode.
              >>

              >"g?" is already used for rot13 encoding.
              >
              >"g/" is scheduled to be used to search inside the selected area

              Hmm -- g/ sounds a lot like vis.vim's :S command for searching a visual
              block for
              a pattern. It works with V, v, and ctrl-v type visual blocks.

              Regards,
              Chip Campbell