Re: spellchecking with curly-quotes

  • mwoehlke
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 26, 2006
      Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > Kyle Wheeler wrote:
      >
      >> I frequently compose text that uses curly quotes (’) in words (e.g.
      >> "women’s"). I also use the spell checker a lot. Unfortunately, the
      >> (utf-8) curly quote seems to confuse the spell checker. While
      >> "women's" is accepted as a correct spelling, "women’s" causes the
      >> trailing s to be highlighted as a misspelling.
      >>
      >> Does anyone know if there's a way (perhaps by patching vim) to get
      >> curly quotes to be treated the same as single quotes?
      >
      > Currently this is not possible. I don't know the exact meaning of this
      > curly quote. Is it exactly the same as a single quote? Probably not,
      > otherwise the character wouldn't exist in Unicode.

      Popular usage is that the straight quote is a generic quote, either the
      start or end of a quoted... whatever (nested quotation, shell
      uninterpreted string, C character, etc). A "curly quote" is the same
      thing, but there are two of them for the starting and ending quotes,
      respectively, and also the end single quote is used in contractions (as
      per the complaint).

      These are also used in the same manner by some *roff's, which will
      translate \' and \` into start- and end-single-quote. Which is really
      annoying on systems like mine that simply replace apostrophes with
      whitespace if they aren't escaped with \. :-)

      I would be in favor of at least having an option (probably default to on
      until someone complains, at which point you could change the default) to
      treat both start- and end-single-quotes as the same as ('), although I
      think only end-single-quote matters.

      --
      Matthew
      Download. Untar. Configure. Make. Install. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.