Re: RFC: bigger '--with-features' than huge (incl interpreters)

  • A.J.Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 8 5:08 AM
      Yakov Lerner wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > The biggest build size that exists now (the --with-features) is 'huge'.
      > This 'huge' still does not include interpreters.
      >
      > What does public and Bram think about adding another build size
      > ('extra-huge') that includes [all] interpreters ?
      > What is your feeback ?
      >
      > Yakov
      >
      > Possible namings: 'all', 'jumbo', 'giant', 'everything', 'huge+interp',
      > 'xxl', 'colossal', 'tremendous', 'gigantic',
      > 'enormous',
      > 'ohmygod', 'extra-huge'
      >
      > My reasoning behind 'xxl' is this: current build sizes are {tiny,
      > small, normal, big, huge}.
      > 'Big' is like 'large'. Thus 'huge' (next grade after big/large)
      > corresponds to 'xl'
      > (extra large). Then next grade after huge/xl is xxl. Then it is easy to
      > add xxxl, xxxxl, etc.

      I don't think interpreters belong in a linear scheme tiny -> small ->
      normal -> large -> huge -> huge with interpreters.

      After all, I suppose that one might want interpreters but not profiling,
      perl without python, ruby and TCL but not Scheme, etc. IMO
      inclusion/exclusion of interpreters should be independent of other
      features -- and therefore manual.

      For Unix users who want the biggest Vim they can make with the installed
      software they have, there is a bash script on my Unix HowTo page
      http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm which will
      "enable" everything in configure. Then configure will turn off any
      features for which the required software is not found. To use that
      script, copy it to the parent of your src/ directory, change the
      "compiled-by" line and anything else you want to change, and use the
      "source" (or ".") command in bash before running make ("make" will
      invoke configure if it hasn't yet been run; if you change the configure
      options or install/uninstall relevant software you should "make
      reconfig" in the src/ directory -- that will clear the configure cache,
      run configure, and then proceed to compile and link). Just giving the
      script's name at the prompt isn't enough because in that case,
      environment variables won't "stick".

      For Windows users, my Windows HowTo explains how to do it but it isn't
      as straightforward as on Unix because configure isn't used on Windows:
      see http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compile.htm . In
      particular, Windows users who want to include interpreted languages must
      tell make by means of environment variables where the interpreters are
      found, what version they have, and that dynamic linking is desired.
      Also, on Windows a different makefile is used for each different
      compiler (MSVC, BCC32, Cygwin gcc, MinGW32 gcc, ...).