Building +perl and +mzscheme on Ubuntu

  • George V. Reilly
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3, 2006
      I'm trying to build a full-featured Vim 7.076 on Ubuntu 6.06. I have all
      the packages listed at
      http://packages.ubuntulinux.org/edgy/editors/vim-full
      as well as
      libncurses5-dev, libxt-dev, libgtk2.0-dev
      to build a basic Gvim, and
      mzscheme, ruby1.8-dev, tcl8.4-dev
      which suffices to build +ruby, +python, and +tcl, but not +perl or
      +mzscheme.

      Here's the relevant output from 'make reconfig':

      checking --enable-mzschemeinterp argument... yes
      checking --with-plthome argument... "no"
      checking PLTHOME environment var... "not set"
      checking for mzscheme... /usr/bin/mzscheme
      checking MzScheme install prefix...
      checking --enable-perlinterp argument... yes
      checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
      checking Perl version... OK
      checking if compile and link flags for Perl are sane... no: PERL DISABLED

      What are the magic invocations?

      --
      /George V. Reilly george@...
      http://www.georgevreilly.com/blog
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3, 2006
        George V. Reilly wrote:
        > I'm trying to build a full-featured Vim 7.076 on Ubuntu 6.06. I have all
        > the packages listed at
        > http://packages.ubuntulinux.org/edgy/editors/vim-full
        > as well as
        > libncurses5-dev, libxt-dev, libgtk2.0-dev
        > to build a basic Gvim, and
        > mzscheme, ruby1.8-dev, tcl8.4-dev
        > which suffices to build +ruby, +python, and +tcl, but not +perl or
        > +mzscheme.
        >
        > Here's the relevant output from 'make reconfig':
        >
        > checking --enable-mzschemeinterp argument... yes
        > checking --with-plthome argument... "no"
        > checking PLTHOME environment var... "not set"
        > checking for mzscheme... /usr/bin/mzscheme
        > checking MzScheme install prefix...
        > checking --enable-perlinterp argument... yes
        > checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
        > checking Perl version... OK
        > checking if compile and link flags for Perl are sane... no: PERL DISABLED
        >
        > What are the magic invocations?

        The following script, which I "source" in bash before compiling (using
        the bash "source" or "." command -- just running it isn't enough)
        includes most of the optional features -- IF the right software
        libraries are installed:

        #!/bin/bash
        #
        # this file must be sourced, not run
        #
        # set environment variables
        export CONF_OPT_GUI='--enable-gnome-check'
        export CONF_OPT_PERL='--enable-perlinterp'
        export CONF_OPT_PYTHON='--enable-pythoninterp'
        export CONF_OPT_TCL='--enable-tclinterp --with-tcl=tclsh8.4'
        export CONF_OPT_RUBY='--enable-rubyinterp'
        export CONF_OPT_MZSCHEME='--enable-mzschemeinterp'
        export CONF_OPT_CSCOPE='--enable-cscope'
        export CONF_OPT_MULTIBYTE='--enable-multibyte'
        export CONF_OPT_OUTPUT='--enable-fontset'
        export CONF_OPT_FEAT='--with-features=huge'
        export CONF_OPT_COMPBY='"--with-compiledby=antoine.mechelynck@..."'

        You must also have the "development" packages for anything you want to
        include. I'm not sure how they are called on Ubuntu, but on SuSE it's
        e.g. perl-devel to be able to compile with perl. I can see you have the
        development packages for ruby and tcl. I suspect you haven't installed
        those for perl and mzscheme.

        Oh, and by the way, the latest bugfix is 7.0.083 at the moment.

      • George V. Reilly
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 3, 2006
          A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
          > George V. Reilly wrote:
          >> I'm trying to build a full-featured Vim 7.076 on Ubuntu 6.06. I have
          >> all the packages listed at
          >> http://packages.ubuntulinux.org/edgy/editors/vim-full
          >> as well as
          >> libncurses5-dev, libxt-dev, libgtk2.0-dev
          >> to build a basic Gvim, and
          >> mzscheme, ruby1.8-dev, tcl8.4-dev
          >> which suffices to build +ruby, +python, and +tcl, but not +perl or
          >> +mzscheme.
          >>
          >> [snip]
          >> What are the magic invocations?
          >>

          > The following script, which I "source" in bash before compiling (using
          > the bash "source" or "." command -- just running it isn't enough)
          > includes most of the optional features -- IF the right software
          > libraries are installed:

          I should have mentioned that I was using the bash script from your
          Compiling Howto for Unix at
          http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm

          > You must also have the "development" packages for anything you want to
          > include. I'm not sure how they are called on Ubuntu, but on SuSE it's
          > e.g. perl-devel to be able to compile with perl. I can see you have
          > the development packages for ruby and tcl. I suspect you haven't
          > installed those for perl and mzscheme.

          Adding libperl-dev got me +perl. I still haven't figured out +mzscheme.

          > Oh, and by the way, the latest bugfix is 7.0.083 at the moment.

          Yeah, but 7.0.076 is the latest stuff in Subversion.

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 3, 2006
            George V. Reilly wrote:
            [...]
            > Adding libperl-dev got me +perl. I still haven't figured out +mzscheme.
            [...]

            Well, search the list of additional installable packages for something
            like mzscheme-dev or libmzscheme-dev... or maybe libmzsch209_000.dev,
            libmzgc209_000.dev, or whatever. If there is a list which you can grep,
            try listing everything with "mz" in it. If you find several with the
            same version number, then in doubt install them all; OTOH, if, after
            checking and double-checking, you still can't find any such packages in
            the Ubuntu distributions available to you, try Googling for an
            independent software source from which you might download MzScheme (with
            "development" stuff) for Linux.