Re: vim mailing lists

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2006
      Gautam Iyer wrote:

      > > > Twice recently, sorbs has bounced my mails to the list because some
      > > > server between my ISP and the vim-dev list is on its blacklist.
      > > >
      > > > Do you have any plans to move the vim mailing lists to a new server,
      > > > where you (or someone more responsive) has administrative control?
      > >
      > > The plan was to move the maillists to the server that is now already the
      > > Vim mail server. And the one causing this blacklist trouble...
      > >
      > > There is no progress in moving the maillists. I suppose it's time to
      > > find a better place for the Vim mail server. Instead of a server that
      > > just happens to be available and run by someone who doesn't always
      > > respond, or some big and anonymous server park like Yahoo, I think we
      > > should look for a small site that does have 24 hour support.
      >
      > How about the sourceforge mailing lists? I know sourceforge has had
      > numerous failures in the past. But I think their mailing lists might be
      > OK.

      Features missing (at least):
      - When someone is not subscribed the message should bounce, not sent to
      the maillist owner. (I have to manually remove spam stuff from the
      a-a-p lists regularly).
      - Messages with just HTML, executable attachments etc. should be
      bounced. These rules must be configurable.
      them.

      --
      Microsoft's definition of a boolean: TRUE, FALSE, MAYBE
      "Embrace and extend"...?

    • Gautam Iyer
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 2, 2006
        On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 10:18:35PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        > > > The plan was to move the maillists to the server that is now already the
        > > > Vim mail server. And the one causing this blacklist trouble...
        > > >
        > > > There is no progress in moving the maillists. I suppose it's time to
        > > > find a better place for the Vim mail server. Instead of a server that
        > > > just happens to be available and run by someone who doesn't always
        > > > respond, or some big and anonymous server park like Yahoo, I think we
        > > > should look for a small site that does have 24 hour support.
        > >
        > > How about the sourceforge mailing lists? I know sourceforge has had
        > > numerous failures in the past. But I think their mailing lists might be
        > > OK.
        >
        > Features missing (at least):
        > - When someone is not subscribed the message should bounce, not sent to
        > the maillist owner. (I have to manually remove spam stuff from the
        > a-a-p lists regularly).
        > - Messages with just HTML, executable attachments etc. should be
        > bounced. These rules must be configurable.
        > them.

        Bram,

        I just set up a new mailing list on SF. I think the above features are
        there on the version of mailman they just installed.

        Gautam

        --
        'Fortissimoe' -- The musical moment produced when someone serially slaps
        the faces of the first violin section.
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 2, 2006
          Gautam Iyer wrote:

          > > > How about the sourceforge mailing lists? I know sourceforge has had
          > > > numerous failures in the past. But I think their mailing lists might be
          > > > OK.
          > >
          > > Features missing (at least):
          > > - When someone is not subscribed the message should bounce, not sent to
          > > the maillist owner. (I have to manually remove spam stuff from the
          > > a-a-p lists regularly).
          > > - Messages with just HTML, executable attachments etc. should be
          > > bounced. These rules must be configurable.
          > > them.
          >
          > Bram,
          >
          > I just set up a new mailing list on SF. I think the above features are
          > there on the version of mailman they just installed.

          I do notice there is now an option to reject posts from non-members,
          instead of sending them to the list owner for approval.

          I don't see a setting for rejecting HTML-only messages or messages with
          executable attachments.

          I don't see how to fill the archive from an existing archive.

          --
          An extraordinary TALL KNIGHT in all black (possibly John with Mike on his
          shoulders) walks out from the dark trees. He is extremely fierce and