Re: vim cannot quit after certain tabs manipulation

  • Bill McCarthy
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 6, 2006
      On Sun 6-Aug-06 11:25am -0600, Yakov Lerner wrote:

      > After certain 3-step manipulation with tabs,
      > can't quit vim with :q!. (vim 7.0.42). Tabline is
      > not updated properly.
      >
      > % vim -u NONE -U NONE
      > ix<esc> " make 1st buffer modified
      > :tabnew<cr> " create 2nd tab
      > ix<esc> " make 2nd buffer modified
      > :tabclose! 1 "delete non-last tab
      >
      > " ^^^ watch the tabline after tabclose command.
      > " PROBLEM #1 here: tabline shows 2 tabs but this is
      > " wrong; only 1 tab exist at this point
      > :tabs " confirm that ony 1 tab exists
      >
      > :q!
      > E37: No write since last change (add ! to override)
      > E162: No write since last change for buffer "[No Name]"
      > "^^^^^ PROBLEM #2: can't quit vim here, must resort to kill

      Confirmed the problem even in 'nocp' mode. Started the
      console version with:

      vim -u NONE -N

      After following your instructions and typing ":tabs" the
      tabs were gone but a blank unreachable line remained.

      I received the same message in response to ":q!" but was
      able to get out with:

      :set nomod
      :q!

      Even with 'nomod' I couldn't get out with just ":q" (same
      two line error message).

      Bill