Re: No way to color-region(s) of text -- highlighter mode.

  • Mohsin
    Message 1 of 32 , Aug 4, 2006
      The problem is I want to apply the highlighting to
      multiple blocks of text simultaneously, so regexp doesn't help.

      mohsin.

      On 8/4/06, Ilya <ilya@...> wrote:
      > Mohsin wrote:
      > > I want to use a highlighter mode on my text file, example:
      > >
      > > :color_region bold line1 col1 line2 col2
      > > :color_region bold 5 5 6 6
      > > :color_region underline 5 5 6 6
      > >
      > > I couldn't do this in vim. Vim only has syntax coloring with regexps.
      > > Emacs has functions to apply properties to text blocks, and I was hoping
      > > vim has something comparable.
      > >
      > > tia.
      > From :help /ordinary-atom
      >
      > Overview of ordinary atoms. */ordinary-atom*
      > More explanation and examples below, follow the links.
      > |/\%l| \%23l \%23l in line 23 |/zero-width|
      > |/\%c| \%23c \%23c in column 23 |/zero-width|
      > |/\%v| \%23v \%23v in virtual column 23 |/zero-width|
      >
      > Maybe this regexp atoms could be used to simulate text blocks from emacs?

    • Nikolai Weibull
      Message 32 of 32 , Aug 7, 2006
        On 8/7/06, Mikolaj Machowski <mikmach@...> wrote:
        > Dnia poniedziaƂek, 7 sierpnia 2006 15:46, Charles E Campbell Jr napisaƂ:

        [Vince Negri's conceal patch]

        > This works only on character wise collapsing and also isn't perfect.
        > When doing line wise concealing you will never now (with exception of
        > :se number) if there are hidden lines.

        Well, the point is that you, as a user using this feature, has to be
        aware of this. It's the same with "rm -rf /", if you know what you're
        doing, it's fine, but if not it's a disaster. The conceal patch is a
        lot safer, however, as you'd be able to control the concealment,
        whereas "rm -rf /" is a bit more volatile.

        nikolai