Vim-Runtime

  • Martin Krischik
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 4, 2006
      Hello,

      Vim 7.0 has been out for some time now and also has a host of new features
      and I, for example, have added all the new stuff to the Ada support [1].

      But the files which come with vim are still the old 6.x files - which
      leads me to the questions:

      How are updates to the runtime files submitted?
      When is the deadline for 7.1 (The runtime is not updated for patch version
      - right)?

      Martin

      [1] http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=1609
      --
      Martin Krischik
      krischik@...
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4, 2006
        Martin Krischik wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > Vim 7.0 has been out for some time now and also has a host of new
        > features and I, for example, have added all the new stuff to the Ada
        > support [1].
        >
        > But the files which come with vim are still the old 6.x files - which
        > leads me to the questions:
        >
        > How are updates to the runtime files submitted?
        > When is the deadline for 7.1 (The runtime is not updated for patch
        > version - right)?
        >
        > Martin
        >
        > [1] http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=1609
        > --Martin Krischik
        > krischik@...

        - Many runtime files, and in particular most of the help files, have
        been reissued with new or updated contents for version 7.0. You should
        find them, for instance, under vim70/runtime/ in
        http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unix/vim-7.0.tar.bz2

        - You can get the latest runtime files by cvs, svn, or by downloading
        everything in ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/ except the contents of
        its dos/ subdirectory. (The latter are duplicate copies with "Dos-like"
        (CR+NL) ends-of-lines; however, even Dos/Windows versions of Vim will,
        with their default settings, understand Vim scripts with "Unix-like" (NL
        only) ends-of-lines; and the latter are a few percent (one byte per
        line) shorter.) These "latest" runtimes may contain upgrades which have
        not made their way into official "patches".

        - If you are the maintainer of a script, you should already know how to
        submit its updates; if you don't or aren't, do as anyone would:

        - If you have suggestions for patches or enhancements to the source
        and/or runtime files of Vim, submit them to Bram Moolenaar <
        bram@... >. He may or may not include them into the next
        "official" sources, or maybe the ones after that.

        - I haven't seen any roadmap for any version of Vim beyond 7.0. We'll
        see it when we meet it.

      • Martin Krischik
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 5, 2006
          Am 04.08.2006, 21:28 Uhr, schrieb A.J.Mechelynck
          <antoine.mechelynck@...>:

          > Martin Krischik wrote:
          >> Hello,
          >> Vim 7.0 has been out for some time now and also has a host of new
          >> features and I, for example, have added all the new stuff to the Ada
          >> support [1].
          >> But the files which come with vim are still the old 6.x files - which
          >> leads me to the questions:
          >> How are updates to the runtime files submitted?
          >> When is the deadline for 7.1 (The runtime is not updated for patch
          >> version - right)?

          > - Many runtime files, and in particular most of the help files, have
          > been reissued with new or updated contents for version 7.0. You should
          > find them, for instance, under vim70/runtime/ in
          > http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unix/vim-7.0.tar.bz2

          Many - but not all. Quite a few maintainers have updated there runtime
          after the release of vim 7.0 - The selectbuf/genutils pligin combo comes
          to my mind. They even produced errors.

          > - You can get the latest runtime files by cvs, svn, or by downloading
          > everything in ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/ except the contents of
          > its dos/ subdirectory. (The latter are duplicate copies with "Dos-like"
          > (CR+NL) ends-of-lines; however, even Dos/Windows versions of Vim will,
          > with their default settings, understand Vim scripts with "Unix-like" (NL
          > only) ends-of-lines; and the latter are a few percent (one byte per
          > line) shorter.) These "latest" runtimes may contain upgrades which have
          > not made their way into official "patches".

          I wasn't asking about how to checkout from cvs/svn - I now that - I was
          asking about how to commit to cvs/svn. ;-)

          > - If you are the maintainer of a script, you should already know how to
          > submit its updates; if you don't or aren't, do as anyone would:

          I fear the original maintainers of the **/ada.vim have files moved on -
          probably to the GNAT Programming Studio or a different programming
          language - who knows... So the question is indeed: how to become a
          maintainer?

          > - If you have suggestions for patches or enhancements to the source
          > and/or runtime files of Vim, submit them to Bram Moolenaar <
          > bram@... >. He may or may not include them into the next
          > "official" sources, or maybe the ones after that.

          I was hoping there is a way without unduly stuffing Brams E-Mail inbox...

          Martin

          PS: Take some getting used to: If you click "answer" the mail goes to the
          original author and not to the mailing list...

          --
          Martin Krischik
          krischik@...
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 5, 2006
            Martin Krischik wrote:
            [...]
            > I was hoping there is a way without unduly stuffing Brams E-Mail inbox...

            Bram has the final say on what makes it into the official distribution
            anyway. Just be sure the "Subject:" line of your email clearly indicates
            what you're writing about.

            > Martin
            >
            > PS: Take some getting used to: If you click "answer" the mail goes to
            > the original author and not to the mailing list...
            >
            > --Martin Krischik
            > krischik@...

            Yes, it does take some getting used to. But the converse is also true:
            nowadays I have to think twice to reply only to the sender on a circular
            email.

          • Yakov Lerner
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 5, 2006
              On 8/4/06, Martin Krischik <krischik@...> wrote:

              > How are updates to the runtime files submitted?

              You email them to Bram.

              Yakov
            • Mikolaj Machowski
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 5, 2006
                Dnia sobota, 5 sierpnia 2006 15:03, Martin Krischik napisaƂ:
                > > - Many runtime files, and in particular most of the help files, have
                > > been reissued with new or updated contents for version 7.0. You should
                > > find them, for instance, under vim70/runtime/ in
                > > http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unix/vim-7.0.tar.bz2
                >
                > Many - but not all. Quite a few maintainers have updated there runtime
                > after the release of vim 7.0 - The selectbuf/genutils pligin combo comes
                > to my mind. They even produced errors.

                They are no part of standard distro. They have no right to be there.

                > I fear the original maintainers of the **/ada.vim have files moved on -
                > probably to the GNAT Programming Studio or a different programming
                > language - who knows... So the question is indeed: how to become a
                > maintainer?

                1. Write directly to former maintainers about their stance.
                2. Write publicly on vim-dev and vim lists about your intentions
                3. Send improved files to Bram.

                m.