once again - how to unsubscribe?

  • Ulrich Lauther
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2006
      Hi,

      the automated mechanism for unsubsrcibing from this list still doesn't
      work.
      Could please someone remove me from the list?

      Thanks,
      --
      -lauther

      Ulrich Lauther ph: +49 89 636 48834 fx: ... 636 42284
      Siemens CT SE 6 Internet: Ulrich.Lauther@...
    • A.J.Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2006
        Ulrich Lauther wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > the automated mechanism for unsubsrcibing from this list still doesn't
        > work.
        > Could please someone remove me from the list?
        >
        > Thanks,

        The list is operated only by non-humans (computers and programs, I
        mean). The people at fu-berlin math department will let the computer
        auto-reboot and auto-restart its programs if ever there is an
        electricity blackout, and I guess that's it.

        Unsubscribing does work, but you have to use it properly. For the
        vim-dev list, on which I received your message above:

        that email *MUST* be the address to which list messages are sent to you,
        not an alias and not a different address, not even belonging also to
        you. The subject and body of the message may be blank.

        2. You will receive an autoreply at that same address, to ascertain that
        the unsubscribe request was not a prank played on you by someone else.

        3. You must have made sure that the autoreply sent in 2 will not be
        stopped by any spam filter or firewall before reaching you, because you
        must read that email and do what it says, in order to complete the
        unsubscription process.

        4. Within 24 hours after step 3 (usually much less), you should stop
        receiving vim-dev messages.

        Note that if you are subscribed to more than one list (like, e.g., vim,
        vim-dev and vim-multibyte) you must unsubscribe separately to each of them.

      • A.J.Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2006
          Ulrich Lauther wrote:
          >> Ulrich Lauther wrote:
          >>> Hi,
          >>>
          >>> the automated mechanism for unsubsrcibing from this list still doesn't
          >>> work.
          >>> Could please someone remove me from the list?
          >>>
          >>> Thanks,
          >> The list is operated only by non-humans (computers and programs, I
          >> mean). The people at fu-berlin math department will let the computer
          >> auto-reboot and auto-restart its programs if ever there is an
          >> electricity blackout, and I guess that's it.
          >>
          >> Unsubscribing does work, but you have to use it properly. For the
          >> vim-dev list, on which I received your message above:

          >> that email *MUST* be the address to which list messages are sent to you,
          >> not an alias and not a different address, not even belonging also to
          >> you. The subject and body of the message may be blank.
          >
          > in messages sent to me, I find:

          > ])
          > by meleagros.siemens.com (Postfix) with SMTP
          > for <ulrich.lauther@...>; Fri, 28 Jul 2006 12:51:14 +0200 (CEST)
          >
          > My outgoing messages contain:

          > From: Ulrich Lauther <ulrich.lauther@...>
          >
          > (just tested by sending to an external address).
          >
          > Nevertheless, I do NOT get a confirmation request when I try to
          > unsubscribe, though this works with other automated mailing lists.
          >
          > So, what can I do? Is there a human somewhere who can manually unsubscribe
          > me?
          >
          > Thanks for advice,
          >
          > -ulrich

          > Ulrich Lauther ph: +49 89 636 48834 fx: ... 636 42284
          > Siemens CT SE 6 Internet: Ulrich.Lauther@...

          Well, if the "Return-Path:" headers of the ail you get from the list
          include "vim-return-<number>-ulrich-lauther=siemens.com@..." then
          the addresses are OK.

          minutes) get an autoreply from vim-dev-help@... with the subject
          autoreply contains a special "reply-to" address which is not the same as
          the "From" address (it contains a lot of pseudorandom letters and
          digits, and is differrent for every unsubscribe request). You must reply
          to that address, either by hitting "Reply" or by copy-pasting it into
          the "To" line of an outgoing message. How I ascertained all this was by
          sending a message to that unsubscribe address myself, and sure enough,
          after a few minutes I had a reply.

          If you have a spam filter, or if your company has one, you should check
          that such a message gets through to you. First check the spam settings
          (if any) on your mail account and the junk settings (if any) on your
          mail client, then, if you cannot solve it yourself, ask your company
          mail admin for help. Maybe he can fetch that autoreply message (or at
          least its headers) from his mail system logs even if it did not get
          through. Otherwise, I'm not sure even Bram has admin privileges over the
          list, and the guy (if any) at Berlin University who does have such
          privileges is so overworked that he cannot (or doesn't care to) bother
          himself about the list except, maybe, when the fifth Thursday of the
          week falls on the 33rd day of the month. ;-)

          I'm re-adding the list on the Cc: line. Next time, please use "Reply to
          all" rather than "Reply to Sender" (which sent this reply privately to
          me). I'm no Vim official, just a plain user, more experienced than some,
          less than others. Maybe someone else can answer you better than I can.

        • Gautam Iyer
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2, 2006
            On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 09:47:05AM +0200, Ulrich Lauther wrote:

            > the automated mechanism for unsubsrcibing from this list still doesn't
            > work.

            Actually it does! I just unsubscribed from my old address, and
            subscribed using my new email address. Just follow the instructions
            carefully.

            > Could please someone remove me from the list?

            I think only the list admin can do that. And from what I hear, he's not
            responding to email :).

            GI

            --
            'Death' -- Life's way of saying "You can let go of your ankles now."
          • Ulrich Lauther
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 3, 2006
              > On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 09:47:05AM +0200, Ulrich Lauther wrote:
              >
              > > the automated mechanism for unsubsrcibing from this list still doesn't
              > > work.
              >
              > Actually it does! I just unsubscribed from my old address, and
              > subscribed using my new email address. Just follow the instructions
              > carefully.

              what instructions? The only one I see is on
              http://www.vim.org/maillist.php#vim-dev:

              Email to that address seems to go into a black hole.

              (unsubscribing from other lists works, so I don't assume that my comany's
              spam filter is the culprit).

              Kind regards,

              -ulrich lauther
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 3, 2006
                Ulrich Lauther wrote:
                >> On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 09:47:05AM +0200, Ulrich Lauther wrote:
                >>
                >>> the automated mechanism for unsubsrcibing from this list still doesn't
                >>> work.
                >> Actually it does! I just unsubscribed from my old address, and
                >> subscribed using my new email address. Just follow the instructions
                >> carefully.
                >>
                > what instructions? The only one I see is on
                > http://www.vim.org/maillist.php#vim-dev:

                > Email to that address seems to go into a black hole.
                >
                > (unsubscribing from other lists works, so I don't assume that my comany's
                > spam filter is the culprit).
                >
                > Kind regards,
                >
                > -ulrich lauther

                Don't assume anything. Check, double-check, try again while checking
                that you didn't swap any characters in the address, and if it still
                doesn't work, ask your company mail admin to look into his logs to see
                if any mail from you to vim-dev-unsubscribe or from vim-dev-help to you
                was stopped, rejected or bounced at any point of its travels.