feature proposal: ":tabe file1 fileN" and ":sp file1 fileN"

  • Rodolfo Borges
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2006
      I wanted to open a new tab, to edit three files, splited in their own
      three windows.

      I tried ":tabe file1 file2 file3", vim complained "Only one file name allowed".

      Then I tried ":tabnew" and ":sp file1 file2 file3", it also didn't work.

      My proposal:

      Open N tabs with
      :tabe file1 file2 ... fileN

      Open a new tab, with N splited windows with
      :tabe -s file1 file2 ... fileN

      Split N windows with
      :sp file1 file2 ... fileN

      What do you think?

      --
      Rodolfo Borges
    • A.J.Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2006
        Rodolfo Borges wrote:
        > I wanted to open a new tab, to edit three files, splited in their own
        > three windows.
        >
        > I tried ":tabe file1 file2 file3", vim complained "Only one file name
        > allowed".
        >
        > Then I tried ":tabnew" and ":sp file1 file2 file3", it also didn't work.
        >

        > My proposal:
        >
        > Open N tabs with
        > :tabe file1 file2 ... fileN
        >
        > Open a new tab, with N splited windows with
        > :tabe -s file1 file2 ... fileN
        >
        > Split N windows with
        > :sp file1 file2 ... fileN
        >

        > What do you think?

        What does already work is, for instance

        :sp file1 | sp file2 | sp file3

        or (untested; v7 only)

        command! -nargs=* complete=file -bar Split
        \ call s:Split(<f-args>)
        function! s:Split(...)
        if a:0 == 0
        split