Re: Resizing the window with very long lines of text.

  • Charles E Campbell Jr
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 10, 2006
      Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      >Soon-Ping Phang wrote:
      >

      >>I'm trying to determine whether I should submit a bug
      >>report for a problem I encountered or if one was
      >>already submitted.
      >>
      >>Basically, I'm finding that if I paste a long line of
      >>text (4650+ characters) into an 80x25 Vim window (v7.0
      >>on WinXP), and then, while leaving the cursor at the
      >>end of the line, maximize the window, Vim crashes.
      >>
      >>Has anyone encountered this before?
      >>

      >I don't think this was reported before. Please describe the environment
      >in which this happens. Preferably without any personal settings, start
      >Vim with "-u NONE".

      I was able to duplicate the problem using Fedora Core 5 (linux):

      gvim -u NONE
      5000i-<esc>
      (vertically lengthen screen by pulling on bottom of window)

      yielded a core dump:
      (gdb) where
      #0 0x00245410 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
      #1 0x00afb546 in ?? ()
      #2 0x0813b087 in mch_call_shell (cmd=0x1 <Address 0x1 out of bounds>,
      options=17625) at os_unix.c:4351
      #3 0x0813d028 in mch_settitle (
      title=0x818c53b
      "\036\b\213\025\214�\037\b��037\b\211ã\204�\037\b�\200�\037\b�|�\037\b\200:",

      icon=0x1 <Address 0x1 out of bounds>) at os_unix.c:1919
      #4 0x08100e28 in prepare_to_exit () at misc1.c:8211
      #5 <signal handler called>
      #6 0x00245410 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
      #7 0x00afb159 in ?? ()
      #8 0x00c01ff4 in ?? ()
      #9 0xb7f336b0 in ?? ()
      #10 0xbff46e5c in ?? ()
      #11 0x00afc6e3 in ?? ()
      #12 0x00000006 in ?? ()
      #13 0xbff46dd0 in ?? ()
      #14 0x00000000 in ?? ()
      (gdb) up
      #1 0x00afb546 in ?? ()
      (gdb) up
      #2 0x0813b087 in mch_call_shell (cmd=0x1 <Address 0x1 out of bounds>,
      options=17625) at os_unix.c:4351
      4351 msg_putchar('\n');

      Regards,
      Chip Campbell
    • Peter Cech
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 10, 2006
        On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 20:52:00 +0100, Ron Blaschke wrote:
        > Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        > > Soon-Ping Phang wrote:
        > >
        > >> I'm trying to determine whether I should submit a bug
        > >> report for a problem I encountered or if one was
        > >> already submitted.
        > >>
        > >> Basically, I'm finding that if I paste a long line of
        > >> text (4650+ characters) into an 80x25 Vim window (v7.0
        > >> on WinXP), and then, while leaving the cursor at the
        > >> end of the line, maximize the window, Vim crashes.
        > >>
        > >> Has anyone encountered this before?
        > >
        > > I don't think this was reported before. Please describe the environment
        > > in which this happens. Preferably without any personal settings, start
        > > Vim with "-u NONE".
        >
        > I experienced this too, some time ago, but didn't worry because I rarely
        > work with such long lines. At least on my system I can reproduce this
        > with 7.0 on my Windows XP box.
        >
        > Start gvim
        > gvim -u NONE
        >
        > Insert 5000 characters, e.g. '-'
        > 5000 i - <ESC>
        >
        > Vertically enlarge the window about 10 lines.
        >
        > That's it.
        > Unhandled exception at 0x0041226d in gvim.exe: 0xC0000005: Access
        > violation writing location 0x734b490a.

        Crashes on linux as well (GTK2 GUI, 7.0.17). But for crash it is necessary to
        enlarge the window by at least 5 lines. Enlarging the window by 4 or
        less lines, and shrinking its size works without problems.

        Strange, I observed this crash also on another machine (gvim, compiled
        8th of May including all the patches till that day, GTK2 GUI) when
        running locally, but I did not manage to trigger it when running
        remotely right now.

        Regards,
        Peter Cech
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 11, 2006
          Soon-Ping Phang wrote:

          > > > I'm trying to determine whether I should submit a bug
          > > > report for a problem I encountered or if one was
          > > > already submitted.
          > > >
          > > > Basically, I'm finding that if I paste a long line of
          > > > text (4650+ characters) into an 80x25 Vim window (v7.0
          > > > on WinXP), and then, while leaving the cursor at the
          > > > end of the line, maximize the window, Vim crashes.
          > > >
          > > > Has anyone encountered this before?
          > >
          > > I don't think this was reported before. Please
          > > describe the environment
          > > in which this happens. Preferably without any
          > > personal settings, start
          > > Vim with "-u NONE".
          >
          > I'm running Windows XP Pro v2002 SP2 on a Pentium 4
          > 3.2GHz with 1GB RAM.
          >
          > I'm not sure exactly what other environment info you
          > need. I've attached bugreport.txt generated from gvim
          > -u NONE, along with a screendump of the windows error
          > detail. Tried WinDbg, but couldn't get it to load the
          > .pdb, so I just did a dump anyway and attached that
          > (but I guess it won't be much help).
          >
          > I've also found that if I insert 50000 chars, it
          > doesn't crash, although the cursor jumps past EOF.
          >
          > Hope any of this helps...

          This sounds like the same problem as what happens with a 5000 character
          long line and then resizing the Vim window. I'll send out a patch for
          that soon, please try it. If it doesn't fix your problem, report it
          again.

          --
          Engineers are widely recognized as superior marriage material: intelligent,
          dependable, employed, honest, and handy around the house.