Re: Resizing the window with very long lines of text.

  • Ron Blaschke
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 10, 2006
      Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > Soon-Ping Phang wrote:
      >
      >> I'm trying to determine whether I should submit a bug
      >> report for a problem I encountered or if one was
      >> already submitted.
      >>
      >> Basically, I'm finding that if I paste a long line of
      >> text (4650+ characters) into an 80x25 Vim window (v7.0
      >> on WinXP), and then, while leaving the cursor at the
      >> end of the line, maximize the window, Vim crashes.
      >>
      >> Has anyone encountered this before?
      >
      > I don't think this was reported before. Please describe the environment
      > in which this happens. Preferably without any personal settings, start
      > Vim with "-u NONE".

      I experienced this too, some time ago, but didn't worry because I rarely
      work with such long lines. At least on my system I can reproduce this
      with 7.0 on my Windows XP box.

      Start gvim
      gvim -u NONE

      Insert 5000 characters, e.g. '-'
      5000 i - <ESC>

      Vertically enlarge the window about 10 lines.

      That's it.
      Unhandled exception at 0x0041226d in gvim.exe: 0xC0000005: Access
      violation writing location 0x734b490a.

      Ron
    • Charles E Campbell Jr
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 10, 2006
        Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        >Soon-Ping Phang wrote:
        >

        >>I'm trying to determine whether I should submit a bug
        >>report for a problem I encountered or if one was
        >>already submitted.
        >>
        >>Basically, I'm finding that if I paste a long line of
        >>text (4650+ characters) into an 80x25 Vim window (v7.0
        >>on WinXP), and then, while leaving the cursor at the
        >>end of the line, maximize the window, Vim crashes.
        >>
        >>Has anyone encountered this before?
        >>

        >I don't think this was reported before. Please describe the environment
        >in which this happens. Preferably without any personal settings, start
        >Vim with "-u NONE".

        I was able to duplicate the problem using Fedora Core 5 (linux):

        gvim -u NONE
        5000i-<esc>
        (vertically lengthen screen by pulling on bottom of window)

        yielded a core dump:
        (gdb) where
        #0 0x00245410 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
        #1 0x00afb546 in ?? ()
        #2 0x0813b087 in mch_call_shell (cmd=0x1 <Address 0x1 out of bounds>,
        options=17625) at os_unix.c:4351
        #3 0x0813d028 in mch_settitle (
        title=0x818c53b
        "\036\b\213\025\214�\037\b��037\b\211ã\204�\037\b�\200�\037\b�|�\037\b\200:",

        icon=0x1 <Address 0x1 out of bounds>) at os_unix.c:1919
        #4 0x08100e28 in prepare_to_exit () at misc1.c:8211
        #5 <signal handler called>
        #6 0x00245410 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
        #7 0x00afb159 in ?? ()
        #8 0x00c01ff4 in ?? ()
        #9 0xb7f336b0 in ?? ()
        #10 0xbff46e5c in ?? ()
        #11 0x00afc6e3 in ?? ()
        #12 0x00000006 in ?? ()
        #13 0xbff46dd0 in ?? ()
        #14 0x00000000 in ?? ()
        (gdb) up
        #1 0x00afb546 in ?? ()
        (gdb) up
        #2 0x0813b087 in mch_call_shell (cmd=0x1 <Address 0x1 out of bounds>,
        options=17625) at os_unix.c:4351
        4351 msg_putchar('\n');

        Regards,
        Chip Campbell
      • Peter Cech
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 10, 2006
          On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 20:52:00 +0100, Ron Blaschke wrote:
          > Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > > Soon-Ping Phang wrote:
          > >
          > >> I'm trying to determine whether I should submit a bug
          > >> report for a problem I encountered or if one was
          > >> already submitted.
          > >>
          > >> Basically, I'm finding that if I paste a long line of
          > >> text (4650+ characters) into an 80x25 Vim window (v7.0
          > >> on WinXP), and then, while leaving the cursor at the
          > >> end of the line, maximize the window, Vim crashes.
          > >>
          > >> Has anyone encountered this before?
          > >
          > > I don't think this was reported before. Please describe the environment
          > > in which this happens. Preferably without any personal settings, start
          > > Vim with "-u NONE".
          >
          > I experienced this too, some time ago, but didn't worry because I rarely
          > work with such long lines. At least on my system I can reproduce this
          > with 7.0 on my Windows XP box.
          >
          > Start gvim
          > gvim -u NONE
          >
          > Insert 5000 characters, e.g. '-'
          > 5000 i - <ESC>
          >
          > Vertically enlarge the window about 10 lines.
          >
          > That's it.
          > Unhandled exception at 0x0041226d in gvim.exe: 0xC0000005: Access
          > violation writing location 0x734b490a.

          Crashes on linux as well (GTK2 GUI, 7.0.17). But for crash it is necessary to
          enlarge the window by at least 5 lines. Enlarging the window by 4 or
          less lines, and shrinking its size works without problems.

          Strange, I observed this crash also on another machine (gvim, compiled
          8th of May including all the patches till that day, GTK2 GUI) when
          running locally, but I did not manage to trigger it when running
          remotely right now.

          Regards,
          Peter Cech
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 11, 2006
            Soon-Ping Phang wrote:

            > > > I'm trying to determine whether I should submit a bug
            > > > report for a problem I encountered or if one was
            > > > already submitted.
            > > >
            > > > Basically, I'm finding that if I paste a long line of
            > > > text (4650+ characters) into an 80x25 Vim window (v7.0
            > > > on WinXP), and then, while leaving the cursor at the
            > > > end of the line, maximize the window, Vim crashes.
            > > >
            > > > Has anyone encountered this before?
            > >
            > > I don't think this was reported before. Please
            > > describe the environment
            > > in which this happens. Preferably without any
            > > personal settings, start
            > > Vim with "-u NONE".
            >
            > I'm running Windows XP Pro v2002 SP2 on a Pentium 4
            > 3.2GHz with 1GB RAM.
            >
            > I'm not sure exactly what other environment info you
            > need. I've attached bugreport.txt generated from gvim
            > -u NONE, along with a screendump of the windows error
            > detail. Tried WinDbg, but couldn't get it to load the
            > .pdb, so I just did a dump anyway and attached that
            > (but I guess it won't be much help).
            >
            > I've also found that if I insert 50000 chars, it
            > doesn't crash, although the cursor jumps past EOF.
            >
            > Hope any of this helps...

            This sounds like the same problem as what happens with a 5000 character
            long line and then resizing the Vim window. I'll send out a patch for
            that soon, please try it. If it doesn't fix your problem, report it
            again.

            --
            Engineers are widely recognized as superior marriage material: intelligent,
            dependable, employed, honest, and handy around the house.