Re: Terminal-based auto-paste.

  • Nikolai Weibull
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 7, 2006
      On 7/7/06, Sean Reifschneider <jafo@...> wrote:
      > On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 06:47:55PM +0200, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
      > >OK, so here's what you do:

      > >and
      > >
      > > :inoremap <C-o>set paste<Cr><C-r>*<C-o>set nopaste<Cr>
      >
      > That doesn't seem to do the job. I'm not quite sure what you're trying to
      > accomplish here, so I can't tell where it's going wrong.

      There should be a <MiddleMouse> in the second line as well, of course.
      Anyway, how about

      set mouse=a ttymouse=xterm

      ? That certainly does something on my terminal. I can't get it to
      work correctly in insert mode for some reason, but I really don't care
      so I'm leaving it at this.

      nikolai
    • Sean Reifschneider
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 7, 2006
        On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 12:10:14AM +0200, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
        >On 7/7/06, Sean Reifschneider <jafo@...> wrote:
        >>On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 06:47:55PM +0200, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
        >>>OK, so here's what you do:

        >>>and
        >>>
        >>> :inoremap <C-o>set paste<Cr><C-r>*<C-o>set nopaste<Cr>
        >>
        >>That doesn't seem to do the job. I'm not quite sure what you're trying to
        >>accomplish here, so I can't tell where it's going wrong.
        >
        >There should be a <MiddleMouse> in the second line as well, of course.

        Even with "<MiddleMouse>" in the second line, it's not doing anything that
        I can see. It probably needs "set mouse=" for it to do anything, and as I
        said originally, "set mouse" totally doesn't work.

        >Anyway, how about
        >
        > set mouse=a ttymouse=xterm
        >
        >? That certainly does something on my terminal. I can't get it to
        >work correctly in insert mode for some reason, but I really don't care
        >so I'm leaving it at this.

        Probably because for it to work in insert mode you would need to do "set
        mouse=i". However, as I explained originally, "set mouse" totally changes
        the way paste works from other applications in an xterm, including, you
        know, not pasting the text I've selected but some other text that came from
        I know not where.

        So, my original suggestion stands: Make it so that when vim detects a bunch
        of data arriving quickly, it sets paste.

        Thanks,
        Sean
        --
        A computer scientist is someone who, when told to "Go to Hell," sees the
        "go to," rather than the destination, as harmful. -- Dr. Roger M. Firestone
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 7, 2006
          On 7/7/06, Sean Reifschneider <jafo@...> wrote:
          > On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 11:35:41AM +0300, Yakov Lerner wrote:
          > >On 7/7/06, Sean Reifschneider <jafo@...> wrote:
          > >>What I'm really looking for is that when I paste using the mouse, that
          > >>"paste" is set.
          > >
          > >How about this
          > >
          > >:map <MiddleMouse> :set paste<cr>"*p:set nopaste<cr>
          > >and similar thing for imap
          >
          > I believe that's what vim does when you do "set mouse". I would like to be
          > able to do that when I do not have "set mouse", based on number of
          > characters in the input buffer, or characters read in the last 100ms or
          > something.

          It's interesting idea to detect paste from mouse when 'set mouse' is
          empty based on the size of typeahead buffer. I don't want to
          disappoint you. But I believe there is no possibility to automatically
          do something based on number of character in the input buffer.

          It would probably be useful to tell vim to react only to
          MiddleMouse and ignore all other mouse events. This might be
          possible by setting 'set mouse=' to nonempty and then redefining
          all mouse events except <MiddleMouse> to <nop>s. This might
          lead you to what you want. To see mouse events that you'll
          need to redefine: :help <*Mouse<tab>

          If you insist on having 'set mouse' empty, then I believe
          you're left with one of the following:

          1) just ':set paste', or
          2) :set nocindent indentexpr= indentkeys= nosmartindent=
          3) or some mapping like map <f5> :set paste!<cr>
          or some one-key mapping to (2)

          I personally use (2): absolutely no autoindenting.

          Yakov
        • Nikolai Weibull
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 7, 2006
            On 7/8/06, Sean Reifschneider <jafo@...> wrote:

            > Probably because for it to work in insert mode you would need to do "set
            > mouse=i".

            set mouse=a

            is a superset of

            set mouse=i

            nikolai
          • Sean Reifschneider
            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 7, 2006
              On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 01:43:46AM +0300, Yakov Lerner wrote:
              >empty based on the size of typeahead buffer. I don't want to
              >disappoint you. But I believe there is no possibility to automatically
              >do something based on number of character in the input buffer.

              It's certainly doable to detect that more than N characters have been
              "typed" in insert mode in the last M milliseconds though, even if you don't
              have access to the input buffer. Or am I missing something?

              In fact, it looks like this is already implemented for "timeout" and
              "timeoutlen", but in that case it's for mapped keys.

              >It would probably be useful to tell vim to react only to
              >MiddleMouse and ignore all other mouse events. This might be

              Interesting idea. I'll have to play with it, but I suspect that it'll
              still suffer from "pasted data comes from another dimension". This latter
              problem may be because of a lacking build option in the Fedora build.

              Thanks,
              Sean
              --
              The price of freedom is responsibility, but it's a bargain because freedom
              is priceless. -- Hugh Downs
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 7, 2006
                On 7/8/06, Sean Reifschneider <jafo@...> wrote:

                > It's certainly doable to detect that more than N characters have been
                > "typed" in insert mode in the last M milliseconds though, even if you don't
                > have access to the input buffer. Or am I missing something?

                But what's the point? Some characters will already have been inserted
                and they won't have had 'paste' set. I fail to see how this is a path
                to follow.

                nikolai
              • Pierre Habouzit
                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 8, 2006
                  Le ven 7 juillet 2006 06:23, Sean Reifschneider a écrit :
                  > I haven't been very happy with using vim in an xterm with various
                  > settings of "mouse=", "selectmode=" and others. Part of this may be
                  > that the Fedora build is missing some features related to things like
                  > "* doesn't seem to work, and "shift right mouse button" doesn't set
                  > "paste".

                  '*' works iff your vim is linked against X.
                  same is true for shift right mouse button.

                  > What I'm really looking for is that when I paste using the mouse,
                  > that "paste" is set. I really don't want things like selecting text
                  > to move my mouse, selected text goes into a select buffer in a
                  > different dimention, paste pastes text from a select buffer in that
                  > the "evil me" selected in another dimension, etc... :-) In short,
                  > I'd like to have some way for my cut and pastes in vim to work the
                  > same way they do in other xterm applications, but with the "paste"
                  > option set.

                  what you are searching for is :

                  :he pastetoggle

                  --
                  ·O· Pierre Habouzit
                  ··O madcoder@...
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 9, 2006
                    On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 11:57:48PM +0200, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
                    >'*' works iff your vim is linked against X.
                    >same is true for shift right mouse button.

                    The ideal solution for me would be to detect more than X characters
                    received during the last, say, 100ms, and turn on paste then.

                    However, I have rebuilt the Fedora Core 6 test 1 RPMs --with-x=yes, and
                    that's a workable solution. It's still annoying how clicking and selecting
                    text causes vim to move my cursor around and requires me to press escape
                    when I'm done selecting. But I can try to remember to shift-select, which
                    works as I'd like. A pain, but workable and gives me proper pasting.

                    I've submitted a but against FC6 core suggesting that they either build the
                    non-gvim version with X enabled, or provide a third option in the vim-x11
                    package like "xvim", which is text mode but with X enabled.

                    >what you are searching for is :
                    >:he pastetoggle

                    Not really, but thanks for the pointer. I'm not much of a key mapping
                    person. Typing ":set paste" or ":set nopaste" is no terrible burden, so
                    that's what I used to do when I had to paste indented text.

                    Thanks,
                    Sean
                    --
                    "Having computers is a lot like having kids, except it's not as much of a
                    problem if they die while you're away." -- Sean Reifschneider, 1997
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 9, 2006
                      Le lun 10 juillet 2006 05:57, Sean Reifschneider a écrit :
                      > On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 11:57:48PM +0200, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
                      > >'*' works iff your vim is linked against X.
                      > >same is true for shift right mouse button.

                      > […]

                      > However, I have rebuilt the Fedora Core 6 test 1 RPMs --with-x=yes,
                      > and that's a workable solution. It's still annoying how clicking and
                      > selecting text causes vim to move my cursor around and requires me to
                      > press escape when I'm done selecting.

                      maybe you could read :he mouse then (and really do it that time).

                      > But I can try to remember to
                      > shift-select, which works as I'd like. A pain, but workable and
                      > gives me proper pasting.

                      it's a pain because you're not used to it, but (1) it works like that in
                      every terminal-mouse-aware application and (2) you can disable mouse in
                      vim if you don't like it.

                      > >what you are searching for is :
                      > >:he pastetoggle
                      >
                      > Not really, but thanks for the pointer. I'm not much of a key
                      > mapping person. Typing ":set paste" or ":set nopaste" is no terrible
                      > burden, so that's what I used to do when I had to paste indented
                      > text.

                      hence the read the damn manual thing:

                      set pastetoggle=<F4> allow you to toggle between paste and nopaste, so
                      maybe you could make an effort and read the pointers people kindly
                      offers you.

                      if you paste by mistake with paste off, you can:

                      u<f4>i<shift-inser><f4> again. if that's not a shortcut, then bit me.

                      --
                      ·O· Pierre Habouzit
                      ··O madcoder@...
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 10, 2006
                        On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 07:34:12AM +0200, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
                        >> and that's a workable solution. It's still annoying how clicking and
                        >> selecting text causes vim to move my cursor around and requires me to
                        >> press escape when I'm done selecting.
                        >
                        >maybe you could read :he mouse then (and really do it that time).

                        I've read the help for mouse, selection, and all related things I could
                        find for hours over several weeks. This isn't something that I've just
                        immediately said "Hey, someone else can fix it for me", I've spent probably
                        8 hours over the last month farting around with trying different things,
                        reading the available documentation, searching on google and the vim site,
                        before I ever posted on this list.

                        If you'd have read this thread nearly as carefully as you are expecting me
                        to have read the documentation, you would know that:

                        The available settings in vim aren't cutting it for me.

                        Yes there are workarounds, none idea, few acceptable, but my original
                        point was...

                        A new feature in vim would make it work extremely well, using the stock
                        packages as built in Fedora Core and Ubuntu (neither builds --with-x=yes
                        in the non-gvim version).

                        I never wanted anyone to help me with fixing it. That's why I posted on
                        the dev list, not the users list. I wanted to register and hopefully
                        discuss a feature request idea. So far, nothing has been said that
                        invalidates the original feature request, the mouse in vim still acts
                        differently under an xterm than under non-vim applications.

                        >it's a pain because you're not used to it, but (1) it works like that in
                        >every terminal-mouse-aware application

                        That's the saving grace is that if I get used to shift left drag to select,
                        it works in other applications. If it didn't, and I had to spend cycles on
                        whether I'm in vim or not to do a selection, I would probably just live
                        with :set paste in vim when I need to do a paste. Converting over to
                        shift-left drag is doable.

                        Still, it would be ideal if it just did what all the other applications do
                        in an xterm.

                        >and (2) you can disable mouse in vim if you don't like it.

                        Obviously. Then I lose the goodness of pastes being handled properly, but
                        I've lived with it that way for 20 years, I can probably continue to do so.

                        >hence the read the damn manual thing:

                        You absolutely misunderstood what I said. Read the damn reply. :-) I
                        know that pastetoggle can be used to map F4 to toggle paste. That's why I
                        said I'm not much of a keymapping person and explained that I'd rather type
                        ":set paste", than hunt around for F4. I can use my mouse to paste while
                        remaining on home row, but F4 breaks my flow more.

                        >u<f4>i<shift-inser><f4> again. if that's not a shortcut, then bit me.

                        Consider yourself bitten. :-P

                        Again, I'm not looking for a shortcut, I have a way that it could just
                        work, but no time to implement it.

                        BTW: The problem with your shortcut above is that it assumes that I didn't
                        type anything in insert mode other than pasting the text. Often, my
                        pattern is that I type out some stuff, then have something to paste, and
                        undo may do significantly more than just the paste.

                        Is it possible for us to go back to that original discussion, about setting
                        paste in non-X mode, and avoid the misplaced winging about RTFM? I
                        understand it can be frustrating when you think someone has not read the
                        basic documentation, but in this case that is absolutely wrong.
                        Admittedly, I don't know that I'd read about pastetoggle until I saw your
                        original suggestion, but if I haven't read the documentation enough then
                        the documentation is _BROKEN_.

                        Thanks,
                        Sean
                        --
                        People who interview themselves shouldn't criticize writing styles.
                        -- John Bentley, Programming Pearls
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 10, 2006
                          On 7/10/06, Sean Reifschneider <jafo@...> wrote:

                          > A new feature in vim would make it work extremely well, using the stock
                          > packages as built in Fedora Core and Ubuntu (neither builds --with-x=yes
                          > in the non-gvim version).

                          Well tell them to fix that, or you'll never get access to "* or "+ from Vim.

                          nikolai
                        • Sean Reifschneider
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 10, 2006
                            On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 01:41:26AM +0200, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
                            >But what's the point? Some characters will already have been inserted
                            >and they won't have had 'paste' set. I fail to see how this is a path
                            >to follow.

                            Absolutely, the first N characters of your text may have been pasted
                            incorrectly if they have newlines or the like. On a local machine, N could
                            be as small as 2 (over 100ms that would represent a typing speed of 600cps,
                            which is pretty snappy).

                            Obviously, it couldn't tell the difference between a high priority
                            process gobbling up a bunch of time while you're typing, a laggy network
                            line between you and vim, and probably other things, but it seems like a
                            lot of the time it would work great.

                            Again, this is like what's already what's implemented in other places in
                            vim, so there seems to be some evidence that it's a workable solution.

                            It would be ideal to do read-ahead and if you have a kilobyte of text
                            sitting there ready to read, it's probably a paste, but that gets you into
                            trouble the read-ahead includes ":sh". Of course, some programs do discard
                            type-ahead text, so it wouldn't be unprecedented, but I agree it would be
                            nice not to.

                            Thanks,
                            Sean
                            --
                            I have never been able to conceive how any rational being could propose
                            happiness to himself from the exercise of power over others. -- Jefferson
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jul 10, 2006
                              On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 09:26:54AM +0200, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
                              >Well tell them to fix that, or you'll never get access to "* or "+ from Vim.

                              As I said in the previous message, I've already opened a bug request with
                              Fedora about it. It wasn't until late today that I also tested it on
                              Ubuntu. However, as it's still acting differently than other applications
                              in xterms in some ways, I think there's still a case for the original
                              suggestion.

                              Thanks,
                              Sean
                              --
                              If I wrote a file-system, it would have a super-duper block.
                              -- Sean Reifschneider, 2003
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jul 10, 2006
                                On 7/10/06, Nikolai Weibull <now@...> wrote:
                                > On 7/10/06, Sean Reifschneider <jafo@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > > A new feature in vim would make it work extremely well, using the stock
                                > > packages as built in Fedora Core and Ubuntu (neither builds --with-x=yes
                                > > in the non-gvim version).
                                >
                                > Well tell them to fix that, or you'll never get access to "* or "+ from Vim.

                                It is so much easier and predictable to build & install vim from
                                sources youself, (with exactly the features you need), than hunt
                                package-maintiners and expect them to fine-tune binary packages
                                to your inquiries/needs/wishes. Unless you are package-maintiner
                                yourself, why would they follow your preferences rather than, say,
                                their own preferences ?

                                Look like the pat of Sean Reifschneider's problem is that
                                he never tried to build vim from the sources despite the fact
                                that it's very easy.

                                Yakov
                              • Sean Reifschneider
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jul 10, 2006
                                  On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 07:38:02AM +0000, Yakov Lerner wrote:
                                  >It is so much easier and predictable to build & install vim from
                                  >sources youself, (with exactly the features you need), than hunt

                                  I understand that some people believe this, but as a large-scale system
                                  administrator I disagree. If I avoid the native packaging system, how will
                                  I know when there are (possibly security-related) updates available? I
                                  currently have over 1251 packages installed on my system, do you know how
                                  long it would take to correctly (let alone optimally) package and build,
                                  to say nothing of hunting down and apply updates, for this laptop?

                                  Factor in, say, 100 machines in various stages of production or test, and
                                  you suddenly have to build an empire just to maintain them.

                                  >package-maintiners and expect them to fine-tune binary packages
                                  >to your inquiries/needs/wishes. Unless you are package-maintiner

                                  Having an expert tune the packages for the general cases is probably going
                                  to work much better on average than having the layman try to tune it
                                  themselves. A good package maintainer can make it so that a package fits
                                  nearly everyone's needs. I have submitted a suggestion to the Fedora
                                  packager that they extend the "vim-x11" package to include not only "gvim",
                                  but also "xvim", leaving the stock "vim" package being compiled with
                                  --with-x=no. This way you get the fairly minimal package in "vim-minimal",
                                  and users who want vim on a server without X installed are happy. And
                                  users who want enhanced X capabilties can install "vim-x11" and get
                                  enhanced functionality by calling (or aliasing) gvim or xvim.

                                  Seems like a workable solution that will make everyones lives easier.

                                  >yourself, why would they follow your preferences rather than, say,
                                  >their own preferences ?

                                  A packager is doing the packaging as a community service. They rarely do
                                  it to their own preferences. If you are a Fedora packager, you almost
                                  never get to consider only your own preferences. This is why there is the
                                  review process.

                                  >Look like the pat of Sean Reifschneider's problem is that

                                  No, my problem is that vim --with-x=no works identically to other
                                  applications running in X terms. However, it can't make use of the
                                  extremely cool automatic "paste" function. Configuring it so you get
                                  automatic pasting causes it to act extremely differently than other xterm
                                  applications. --with-x=yes or --with-x=no doesn't matter.

                                  The only thing that --with-x=yes fixes is that when you ":set mouse=a" in a
                                  vim built --with-x=no, the pasted text comes from, I think, the 0 buffer
                                  and not the X selection.

                                  My understanding of this is that the problem is that when you ":set
                                  mouse=a", it send the escape sequence to tell xterm to send mouse events.
                                  So, instead of xterm sending the selection when you click the middle mouse
                                  button, it sends a "Middle mouse button pressed" message.

                                  Thanks,
                                  Sean
                                  --
                                  I find that a great part of the information I have was acquired by looking
                                  up something and finding something else on the way. -- Franklin P. Adams
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jul 10, 2006
                                    On 7/10/06, Sean Reifschneider <jafo@...> wrote:
                                    > I have submitted a suggestion to the Fedora packager

                                    I wish you god luck waiting from Fedora packager.

                                    I referred to the possibility of installing vim under $HOME/bin,
                                    for one user only, you. (This is possible even if user is root). The
                                    other users use stock /usr/bin/vim, but you'll use vim from
                                    $HOME/bin/vim. The advantage is that it's built precisely to your
                                    taste. Mucking with 1st build takes, maybe, 1/2 hour. Non-first build
                                    is seconds of you net time (that if you package it into script as I did;
                                    it's one command and then couple of minutes of background work).
                                    I don't know exactly how long it takes for changed Fedora package.
                                    But I believe there is gain even in you net time.

                                    If you know the exercise of (./configure
                                    --prefix=$HOME --with-features=huge && make && make install)
                                    it's really easy. (It you don't, it's worth learning anyway.
                                    For myself, I made a script that downloads the latest
                                    vim-src.tgz and builds it all in one invocations exactly with
                                    options I like. Rebuild takes 10 seconds of my net time).

                                    I never come from this point back to stock-rpm-vim.

                                    So, it gives you full control. Quick control. And you don't need to
                                    break other users's vim when you install under $HOME/bin.

                                    I penetrated this barrier once ~ 6 years ago, the barrier between
                                    the stock-rpm-vim and self-build-rpm. I remember my
                                    initial hesitation and difficulties, and I understand your hesitation.
                                    This conversion, it's worth a mass. Just try it once, and
                                    you'll stick with it.

                                    > I currently have over 1251 packages installed on my system, do you know how
                                    > long it would take to correctly (let alone optimally) package and build,
                                    > to say nothing of hunting down and apply updates, for this laptop?

                                    You slipped into absurdity here. Nobody suggested that you
                                    rebuild 1200 [unrelated] packages because of minor problem
                                    with vim rpm.

                                    Vim is special. I believe that being organic extension of
                                    programmer/sysadmin fingers, it deserves special attitude
                                    that other packages.

                                    Yakov
                                  • Yakov Lerner
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jul 10, 2006
                                      > I penetrated this barrier once ~ 6 years ago, the barrier between
                                      > the stock-rpm-vim and self-build-rpm.

                                      Correction. I wanted to write:
                                      ... the barrier between the stock-rpm-vim and self-build-vim.
                                    • Sean Reifschneider
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jul 10, 2006
                                        On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 07:56:13PM +0300, Yakov Lerner wrote:
                                        >Vim is special. I believe that being organic extension of
                                        >programmer/sysadmin fingers, it deserves special attitude
                                        >that other packages.

                                        The point you missed, assuming I was being absurd, is that I can probably
                                        find someone on the developers list for the vast majority of those other
                                        1200 packages who says exactly the same thing about that package. We can
                                        get it fixed in Fedora, and it helps a lot of users.

                                        I recommend using packages wherever possible. As compiling --with-x=yes
                                        doesn't, in actuality, solve the problem I was having (that mouse support
                                        acts differently than other applications), I don't see any justification
                                        for building my own, locally-installed vim and tracking updates.

                                        Thanks,
                                        Sean
                                        --
                                        Brooks's Law of Prototypes: Plan to throw one away, you will anyhow.
                                        Sean Reifschneider, Member of Technical Staff <jafo@...>
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jul 10, 2006
                                          On 2006-07-10, Sean Reifschneider <jafo@...> wrote:
                                          > On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 07:38:02AM +0000, Yakov Lerner wrote:

                                          > >package-maintiners and expect them to fine-tune binary packages
                                          > >to your inquiries/needs/wishes. Unless you are package-maintiner
                                          >
                                          > Having an expert tune the packages for the general cases is probably going
                                          > to work much better on average than having the layman try to tune it
                                          > themselves. A good package maintainer can make it so that a package fits
                                          > nearly everyone's needs. I have submitted a suggestion to the Fedora
                                          > packager that they extend the "vim-x11" package to include not only "gvim",
                                          > but also "xvim", leaving the stock "vim" package being compiled with
                                          > --with-x=no. This way you get the fairly minimal package in "vim-minimal",
                                          > and users who want vim on a server without X installed are happy. And
                                          > users who want enhanced X capabilties can install "vim-x11" and get
                                          > enhanced functionality by calling (or aliasing) gvim or xvim.

                                          Since you mention aliasing, I think the simplest solution to this
                                          would be:

                                          alias vim="gvim -v"

                                          That will give you a terminal-mode vim with all the X features that
                                          were compiled into your gvim.

                                          HTH,
                                          Gary

                                          --
                                          Gary Johnson | Agilent Technologies
                                          garyjohn@... | Wireless Division
                                          | Spokane, Washington, USA
                                        • Yakov Lerner
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jul 11, 2006
                                            On 7/10/06, Sean Reifschneider <jafo@...> wrote:
                                            > On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 07:56:13PM +0300, Yakov Lerner wrote:
                                            > >Vim is special. I believe that being organic extension of
                                            > >programmer/sysadmin fingers, it deserves special attitude
                                            > >that other packages.

                                            By refusing to build vim from sources you totally close the door
                                            for some patch being developed (and included) based on your
                                            requirement. Because (1) such patch must first be picked and tested by
                                            the person for whom it is made (2) it might be an optional feature
                                            which your packager decide to turn off. In which case you never see the
                                            feature even if it was included into the vim spcifically for you. So it's
                                            not going to happen.

                                            I already understand you unacceptance of personal builds.
                                            You justify it by "it doesn't help many users". Maybe. Maybe it's so.
                                            My experience is different. Some users use pico, some used "visual
                                            slick edit", some use nvi. Not everybody use vim to the same depth.

                                            > I can probably
                                            > find someone on the developers list for the vast majority of those other
                                            > 1200 packages who says exactly the same thing about that package.

                                            You're right that it's not sysadmin's job to compile things. It's developer's
                                            jobs. And developers are accustomed to this.

                                            The point that is confused, or missed here, is as follows:
                                            The developer who has a problem with package X will *not* ask *you*
                                            to build package X. (He might ask you to find the fixed binary package.
                                            Or he'll build X from the sources himself (Under his $HOME).
                                            I'm absolutely not missing this point. Being a developer and having
                                            built myself 50% of various software I was using on Linux.)

                                            Pretending that developer Y who has specific problem with package X
                                            will demand that you, the sysadmin, will build X for him, is
                                            intentionally fogging the things. He will never demand that sysadmin
                                            build a package for him. (It's developer's job to build things, again. And
                                            of course, truth being "it's developer's job to build things" serves you as
                                            justification for your refusal to build things, including vim, at which point,
                                            I'm convinced, you make error :-) )

                                            Yakov