Re: leaving insert-mode moves cursor

  • Helmut Stiegler
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 6, 2006
      Hi Jochen,

      i use the following mappings:

      inoremap <Esc> <Esc>`^
      inoremap <C-C> <C-C>`^

      They leave the cursor where it was when leaving insert mode. Of course
      they might conflict with some mappings, plugins and scripts, but i did
      not encounter problems due to this so far (and am using it since version 6).

      I for myself use virtualedit. If you do not use virtualedit, the
      mappings will (of course) put the cursor at the last character of the
      line, if you have been beyond the line.

      set virtualedit=all
      nnoremap <End> $l

      If you do not like virtualedit to go only one char beyond the end of
      line, you might try using (however i did not use it yet, it is only
      available since version 7):

      virtualedit=onemore

      - Helmut

      Jochen Baier schrieb:
      > hi,
      >
      > i have the strange behavior the if i type "ESC" to leave
      > insert-mode the cursor move on letter the the left...
      >
      > for example if i have the the text "abc" and the insert
      > cursor is between b and c. after pressing the ESC key the
      > block cursor is on "b". pressing "i" and "ESC" again will
      > move the cursor to "a".... seems to be a bug for me.
      >
      > (vim and gvim some problem)
      >
      > regards jochen

    • Jochen Baier
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 6, 2006
        On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 11:28:36AM +0200, Helmut Stiegler wrote:
        > Hi Jochen,
        >
        > i use the following mappings:
        >
        > inoremap <Esc> <Esc>`^
        > inoremap <C-C> <C-C>`^
        >
        > They leave the cursor where it was when leaving insert mode. Of course
        > they might conflict with some mappings, plugins and scripts, but i did
        > not encounter problems due to this so far (and am using it since version 6).
        >
        > I for myself use virtualedit. If you do not use virtualedit, the
        > mappings will (of course) put the cursor at the last character of the
        > line, if you have been beyond the line.
        >
        > set virtualedit=all
        > nnoremap <End> $l
        >
        > If you do not like virtualedit to go only one char beyond the end of
        > line, you might try using (however i did not use it yet, it is only
        > available since version 7):
        >
        > virtualedit=onemore
        >
        > - Helmut

        hi,

        atm i use my script to toggle the mode:
        http://www.vim.org/tips/tip.php?tip_id=1275

        as a surprising side effect the cursor do not move anymore

        regards jochen

        .