All mails lost

  • Mathias Michaelis
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 7, 2006
      Dear developers

      My emails are systematically filtered out. I can't even unsubscribe (why be on a list where own, very carefully composed contributions aren't desired?). I already have phoned to my ISP, and he's innocent. Now I am really helpless. If this email reaches the list, I will once more try to logout myself.

      Best regards
      Mathias

      Webmail TcNet GmbH http://www.tcnet.ch
    • Matthew Winn
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 7, 2006
        On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 11:33:09AM +0200, Mathias Michaelis wrote:
        > My emails are systematically filtered out. I can't even unsubscribe
        > (why be on a list where own, very carefully composed contributions
        > aren't desired?). I already have phoned to my ISP, and he's innocent.

        I'm seeing your messages on the list. There have been situations in the
        past where the list has silently discarded messages because they don't
        match some arbitrary unpublished criterion, but that doesn't appear to
        be the case here.

        [cc'd to poster to be certain the message gets through]

        --
        Matthew Winn (matthew@...)
      • Mathias Michaelis
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 7, 2006
          Hello Matthew, dear developers

          >> My emails are systematically filtered out.
          >>
          > I'm seeing your messages on the list.

          First: Thanks for replying so fast!

          But: You don't see no of my mails written yesterday, and also not
          all from this morning. The testmail written at 09:03:28 +0200 is not
          from me, but from my Email-Provider. I found that emails that are
          written on my Thunderbird Email Client AND where addressed to
          vim-dev@... or an address to unsubscribe from the list where
          filtered away, BUT emails written on the web interface of my ISP
          reached the list.

          I can verify that on the mail archive

          Although I have unsubscribed my self, I yet receive emails from the
          list and - suddenly - I can send emails again to the list. Very curious!

          > There have been situations in the past where the list has
          > silently discarded messages because they don't match some
          > arbitrary unpublished criterion, but that doesn't appear to be
          > the case here.

          First I thought emails must not be written on Thunderbird, but that
          apparently isn't true any more.

          > [cc'd to poster to be certain the message gets through]

          Thanks again for your reply!

          Best regards

          Mathias
        • A.J.Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 7, 2006
            Mathias Michaelis wrote:
            [...]
            > But: You don't see no of my mails written yesterday, and also not
            > all from this morning. The testmail written at 09:03:28 +0200 is not
            > from me, but from my Email-Provider. I found that emails that are
            > written on my Thunderbird Email Client AND where addressed to
            > vim-dev@... or an address to unsubscribe from the list where
            > filtered away, BUT emails written on the web interface of my ISP
            > reached the list.

            [...]

            There may be an explanation to that: Thunderbird writes its mail in HTML
            by default, and the vim-list robot silently discards all HTML mail as an
            anti-spam measure. I use Thunderbird myself with no problems, even when
            writing to the Vim lists, but whenever I compose an email, I click
            Options -> Format -> Plain Text Only. (As a side-effect, this makes the
            toolbar disappear from below the "Subject" line, since fonts, bold,
            italic, etc., are for HTML only.)

            HTH,
            Tony.
          • Yakov Lerner
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 7, 2006
              On 6/7/06, Mathias Michaelis <michaelis@...> wrote:
              > >> My emails are systematically filtered out.

              Find the 'plaintext' option in your Thunderbird client, and
              use it when you send to mailing list.

              I thought mailinglist filter was supposed to bounce
              back to you the html-formatted message in case
              this was the reason it ignored the message.

              In case the filter found your message spam-like or
              virus-like (always a possibility, depending on your writing style :-)
              , I think the filter might or might not indicate back to you
              why it discarded the message.

              If you're already experimenting with testmessages to the list,
              you potentially *could* (I mean, police would not stop you)
              do this:
              1) send html-formatted "test, please ignore" message to the
              list and see what happens
              2) *caution, violent material ahead* take copy of some
              spam message you received in the past, and send it
              (plaintext!) to the list with subject "test, please ignore"
              and see what happens. If you never received spam messages
              in the past, try this 1 liner: "Buy <v-word here> cheap."

              At this point, I'm starting to doubt whether this message
              of mine is going to make it into the list ......

              Hope this helps.
              Yakov

              P.S. The moral is: although you cannot know
              what happened in one single case, you can seek parameters
              and experiment to find connection between parameters and
              outcome.
            • Mathias Michaelis
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 7, 2006
                Tony

                > > I found that emails that are written on my Thunderbird Email
                > > Client AND where addressed to vim-dev@... ... were filtered
                > > away, ...
                > >
                > There may be an explanation to that: Thunderbird writes its mail in HTML
                > by default, ...

                Thanks for reply -- I appreciate that also those nasty problems are
                discussed seriously. But anyway: I don't write HTML emails, I turn this
                (un-)feature off where ever it is possible. So this explanation can be excluded.

                Sincerely

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 7, 2006
                  On 6/7/06, Mathias Michaelis <michaelis@...> wrote:
                  > Thanks for reply -- I appreciate that also those nasty problems are
                  > discussed seriously. But anyway: I don't write HTML emails, I turn this
                  > (un-)feature off where ever it is possible. So this explanation can be excluded.

                  Thinking about it again, I remember vaguely that I had at least 1 case
                  when list ignored my message. What I did, I re-sent it next day and it got
                  into the list. The truth is, email is not 100% reliable, neither is
                  mailing list software.

                  I do get outgoing email loss every now and then. Part of life. "Just re-send
                  it next day" is my empirical rule that seems to work me.

                  Not to talk about this case several months back when mailing list was
                  totally dead for 3 days. Now, think about it, if mailing list can ignore
                  all messages for 3 days, do you have a proof it can't ignore some
                  random single message ? That's why re-sending helps.

                  Yakov
                • Mathias Michaelis
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 7, 2006
                    Yakov

                    > ... That's why re-sending helps.

                    Thanks again! Yes, I experienced that once or twice too. But this
                    time, waiting one night didn't help, so I thought it stays like that
                    for ever: I am receiving mails, can't reply nor unsubscribe nor
                    influence in any way what's going on. This is why I was a little bit
                    in panic.

                    Excuse me!
                    Sincerely
                    Mathias