Re: VS2005 linking errors with FEATURES=TINY GUI=yes OLE=yes

  • A.J.Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 5, 2006
      Mathias Michaelis wrote:
      > Hi Tony
      >
      > Thanks for your reply!
      >

      >>> If I compile vim on Windows XP with Microsoft Visual Studio
      >>> 2005 Express Edition on the command line with
      >>>
      >>> nmake -f Make_mvc.mak DEBUG=yes FEATURES=TINY GUI=yes OLE=yes
      >>>
      >>> I get the [some] errors:
      >>>

      >> I guess it's a bug; but "Tiny" features means barest bones,
      >> without arithmetic evaluation and without syntax highlighting. I
      >> don't recommend it.
      >>

      > There is another bug that leads vim to crash sometimes. I will
      > report it here as soon I can describe it in a reproducible manner.
      > Anyway, I am trying to create a vim that is as small as possible but
      > in spite of that has the property to crash. I hope it is easier to
      > trace down the cause of the crash in a tiny vim than in a huge one.
      >
      > With best regards
      >
      > Mathias

      It may be; but as long as the crash is reproducible, and Bram can
      reproduce it, then Bram (who has debugging tools _and_ unequaled
      knowledge of Vim) can usually track it down. He will then produce a
      "test patch" to be tried by the people who experienced the crash, and if
      it works, an "official patch" which will go as the next one in series on
      the official Vim site (currently there are 17 such "official patches" to
      Vim 7.0).

      Some crashes may happen in a "tiny" version but not in a "huge" one
      because of a forgotten or misplaced #ifdef though. (Since few people use
      the "tiny" version, errors which only affect it and not the larger ones
      take longer to fix.)

      Of course, while Bram is away nothing much happens; but when he comes
      back he'll clear his backlog of email messages.