I just updated my Vim site

  • A.J.Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 5, 2006
      Hello Vim gurus (and newbies) !

      My Vim site http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/ has just been
      updated. The updates include:

      - Instead of mentioning Vim 6.4 and Vim 7.0 "alpha", the site now only
      refers to the "release" version of Vim 7.0. Sorry, no more "patched"
      distributions of Vim for W32 at the moment, my Windows machine is out.
      - My "Compiling HowTo" for Windows has been updated for Vim 7.0 "release".
      - There is a new "Compiling HowTo" for Unix. I've tried to make it easy
      to follow, even for people who never compiled anything before: so some
      "old hands" may find it boring or too detailed for them. Let's try to
      look at it from the newbie's point of view.

      Remarks welcome. I read vim-list mail oftener than private mail, but
      either of them should reach me.

    • Hari Krishna Dara
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 5, 2006
        On Mon, 5 Jun 2006 at 12:52pm, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:

        > Hello Vim gurus (and newbies) !
        >
        > My Vim site http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/ has just been
        > updated. The updates include:
        >
        > - Instead of mentioning Vim 6.4 and Vim 7.0 "alpha", the site now only
        > refers to the "release" version of Vim 7.0. Sorry, no more "patched"
        > distributions of Vim for W32 at the moment, my Windows machine is out.
        > - My "Compiling HowTo" for Windows has been updated for Vim 7.0 "release".
        > - There is a new "Compiling HowTo" for Unix. I've tried to make it easy
        > to follow, even for people who never compiled anything before: so some
        > "old hands" may find it boring or too detailed for them. Let's try to
        > look at it from the newbie's point of view.
        >
        > Remarks welcome. I read vim-list mail oftener than private mail, but
        > either of them should reach me.
        >

        > Best regards,
        > Tony.

        I read your previous emails about your windows laptop being out and that
        you prefer Linux etc., so I have a suggestion. Why don't you install
        VMWare virtual server on your Linux box and have windows run just for
        the builds? If you don't want to purchase a license, it is still easy to
        get a free VM by using their free VMWare Player (you need to start from
        an existing downloadable free VM's and format and reinstall Windows on
        it). Several people have done this trick (ie, using VMWare player to
        create new VMs) and you can find a number of blogs on the net.

        --
        HTH,
        Hari

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • A.J.Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 5, 2006
          Hari Krishna Dara wrote:
          > I read your previous emails about your windows laptop being out and that
          > you prefer Linux etc., so I have a suggestion. Why don't you install
          > VMWare virtual server on your Linux box and have windows run just for
          > the builds? If you don't want to purchase a license, it is still easy to
          > get a free VM by using their free VMWare Player (you need to start from
          > an existing downloadable free VM's and format and reinstall Windows on
          > it). Several people have done this trick (ie, using VMWare player to
          > create new VMs) and you can find a number of blogs on the net.

          What exactly is VMWare? Anything making my machine a server (accessible
          from clients on the Net) is a no-no. I am vaguely thinking of installing
          Wine just for the builds, but (a) I don't remember whether it requires a
          "true" Windows OS, and (b) running Cygwin on top of Wine on top of Linux
          strikes me as somewhat ridiculous. (The Windows compilation process
          which I "understand" uses Cygwin and the Make_cyg.mak to produce a
          "native-Windows" build by means of the "MinGW for Cygwin" compiler.) I
          think I'll keep my HowTo pages up (so it'll be easier for people to
          compile their own) and let Steve Hall distribute patched versions of Vim
          for Windows (a job I took from him when it seemed to me that his builds
          weren't forthcoming often enough). I hear that a self-installer for gvim
          7.0.017 is currently available on his site; if he keeps it up there's no
          reason for me to duplicate the work.

          I have reserved space on my hard disk for a vfat partition, but that is
          empty space for the time being. I don't see Windows on the market except
          as OEM versions sold exclusively together with new computers, and I want
          neither a pirated version nor something unacceptably costly...

          OTOH, I'm not ready to distribute my "gvim for Linux" because I don't
          feel like it is of acceptable quality for "public consumption" (no
          Python, no MzScheme, no /dyn features...); but compiling on Linux is
          remarkably easy (once the required "development" packages are installed)
          so let's encourage Unix/Linux users to compile their own builds. That's
          where my new HowTo for Unix comes into play. I hope it will be useful.

        • Hari Krishna Dara
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 5, 2006
            On Mon, 5 Jun 2006 at 9:30pm, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:

            > Hari Krishna Dara wrote:
            > > I read your previous emails about your windows laptop being out and that
            > > you prefer Linux etc., so I have a suggestion. Why don't you install
            > > VMWare virtual server on your Linux box and have windows run just for
            > > the builds? If you don't want to purchase a license, it is still easy to
            > > get a free VM by using their free VMWare Player (you need to start from
            > > an existing downloadable free VM's and format and reinstall Windows on
            > > it). Several people have done this trick (ie, using VMWare player to
            > > create new VMs) and you can find a number of blogs on the net.
            > >

            > What exactly is VMWare? Anything making my machine a server (accessible
            > from clients on the Net) is a no-no. I am vaguely thinking of installing
            > Wine just for the builds, but (a) I don't remember whether it requires a
            > "true" Windows OS, and (b) running Cygwin on top of Wine on top of Linux
            > strikes me as somewhat ridiculous. (The Windows compilation process
            > which I "understand" uses Cygwin and the Make_cyg.mak to produce a
            > "native-Windows" build by means of the "MinGW for Cygwin" compiler.) I
            > think I'll keep my HowTo pages up (so it'll be easier for people to
            > compile their own) and let Steve Hall distribute patched versions of Vim
            > for Windows (a job I took from him when it seemed to me that his builds
            > weren't forthcoming often enough). I hear that a self-installer for gvim
            > 7.0.017 is currently available on his site; if he keeps it up there's no
            > reason for me to duplicate the work.

            VMWare is like Wine, but my understanding is that it runs at a lower
            level than Wine. Also Wine is an emulator of Windows, where as VMWare is
            a virtualizer for OSes. It exposes the host hardware as virtual devices,
            and allows multiples OSes to boot and coexist at the same time. You can
            find this information at vmware.com. If you heard about MS virtual PC or
            MS Virtual Server, VMWare is not much different. When you use VMWare for
            booting Windows, you would need a valid license. If you only have a OEM
            license, I don't know if you can install it on a different machine, but
            if you can reinstall that OS on a new PC, it means you can install on a
            VM as well.

            Isn't there a cross-compiler for producing cygwin executables from
            Linux?

            --
            HTH,
            Hari

            > I have reserved space on my hard disk for a vfat partition, but that is
            > empty space for the time being. I don't see Windows on the market except
            > as OEM versions sold exclusively together with new computers, and I want
            > neither a pirated version nor something unacceptably costly...
            >
            > OTOH, I'm not ready to distribute my "gvim for Linux" because I don't
            > feel like it is of acceptable quality for "public consumption" (no
            > Python, no MzScheme, no /dyn features...); but compiling on Linux is
            > remarkably easy (once the required "development" packages are installed)
            > so let's encourage Unix/Linux users to compile their own builds. That's
            > where my new HowTo for Unix comes into play. I hope it will be useful.
            >

            > Best regards,
            > Tony.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • A.J.Mechelynck
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 5, 2006
              Hari Krishna Dara wrote:
              [...]
              > VMWare is like Wine, but my understanding is that it runs at a lower
              > level than Wine. Also Wine is an emulator of Windows, where as VMWare is
              > a virtualizer for OSes. It exposes the host hardware as virtual devices,
              > and allows multiples OSes to boot and coexist at the same time. You can
              > find this information at vmware.com. If you heard about MS virtual PC or
              > MS Virtual Server, VMWare is not much different. When you use VMWare for
              > booting Windows, you would need a valid license. If you only have a OEM
              > license, I don't know if you can install it on a different machine, but
              > if you can reinstall that OS on a new PC, it means you can install on a
              > VM as well.
              >
              > Isn't there a cross-compiler for producing cygwin executables from
              > Linux?

              I see. My Windows XP was installed on my laptop, not from a CD but from
              a "hidden partition" on that laptop's hard disk; that is of course
              inaccessible now that the laptop is down, and I suspect that XP version
              to be an OEM version keyed to the laptop's hardware. (It can not even be
              reinstalled a second time on the same machine: select French or Dutch at
              first boot, and you're stuck forever with whatever you chose.) As I said
              in my previous post, I haven't found any separately-available Windows
              distribution recently. Also running Linux and Windosw in parallel in
              "time-sharing" mode makes me uneasy. The farthest I'm ready to go is a
              dual-boot machine: both OSes installed on the same machine, but use only
              one of them at a time, and switch by means of LILO, Grub, or by changing
              the "active" partition. However even for that I need an installable
              Windows, and I guess I won't get it.

              About the cross-compiler, I don't know; but I don't think I have it on
              my SuSE system, which AFAIK isn't meant to produce software running only
              on Windows. I'd rather let Steve Hall do the job of publishing patched
              Vim distributions for Windows, at least for the time being. (His Vim
              site http://cream.sourceforge.net/vim.html currently offers a Windows
              self-installer for version 7.0.017, with both vim.exe and gvim.exe, all
              interpreted languages except MzScheme, all runtime files as of 25 May
              2006, etc.)

            • James Vega
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 6, 2006
                On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 11:10:21PM -0700, Hari Krishna Dara wrote:
                > Isn't there a cross-compiler for producing cygwin executables from
                > Linux?

                There is a cross-compiler for producing Windows native executables.
                It's mingw and that was what I used to produce binaries of the vim7
                pre-release before I found Tony's site. I'm not sure if it can be used
                to create cygwin executables.

                James
              • A.J.Mechelynck
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 6, 2006
                  James Vega wrote:
                  > On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 11:10:21PM -0700, Hari Krishna Dara wrote:
                  >
                  >> Isn't there a cross-compiler for producing cygwin executables from
                  >> Linux?
                  >>

                  > There is a cross-compiler for producing Windows native executables.
                  > It's mingw and that was what I used to produce binaries of the vim7
                  > pre-release before I found Tony's site. I'm not sure if it can be used
                  > to create cygwin executables.
                  >
                  > James

                  MinGW runs on Windows with Unix-like tools, doesn't it? Until or unless
                  I find a compiler and linker running on Linux, producing pure-Windows
                  executables, not playing havoc with my Linux-for-Linux gcc, and that can
                  be run from Vim's makefiles (yes, I know, I'm asking a lot), I think
                  I'll take a back seat to the development of Vim executables for Windows.

                • James Vega
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 6, 2006
                    On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 03:30:32PM +0200, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
                    > James Vega wrote:
                    > >On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 11:10:21PM -0700, Hari Krishna Dara wrote:
                    > >
                    > >>Isn't there a cross-compiler for producing cygwin executables from
                    > >>Linux?
                    > >>

                    > >There is a cross-compiler for producing Windows native executables.
                    > >It's mingw and that was what I used to produce binaries of the vim7
                    > >pre-release before I found Tony's site. I'm not sure if it can be used
                    > >to create cygwin executables.
                    > >
                    > >James
                    > >
                    > MinGW runs on Windows with Unix-like tools, doesn't it?

                    Yes, that's one use of MinGW, but there is also a linux->win32
                    cross-compiler. Your distribution may have packages. The MinGW wiki
                    also has a HOWTO[0] for building the cross-compiler from their tools.

                    James
                    [0] http://www.mingw.org/MinGWiki/index.php/build%20a%20Win32%20x-compiler%20for%20Linux
                  • Steve Hall
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 6, 2006
                      From: "A.J.Mechelynck", Jun 6, 2006 9:30 AM

                      > Until or unless....I think I'll take a back seat to the development
                      > of Vim executables for Windows.

                      Tony, for what it's worth, I've improved the Cream build routines so
                      that we can stay on top of patches more easily. Our previous delay was
                      due to a hardware changeover that is now in the past, and we can now
                      do the whole patch/build with a single command. Once we script the
                      upload and page reference updates, the whole thing will be croned
                      nightly.

                      I'd do the same with GNU/Linux, but I haven't figured RPMS yet. :)

                      --
                      Steve Hall [ digitect mindspring com ]
                    • A.J.Mechelynck
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 6, 2006
                        James Vega wrote:
                        > On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 03:30:32PM +0200, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
                        >
                        >> James Vega wrote:

                        >>> There is a cross-compiler for producing Windows native executables.
                        >>> It's mingw and that was what I used to produce binaries of the vim7
                        >>> pre-release before I found Tony's site. I'm not sure if it can be used
                        >>> to create cygwin executables.
                        >>>
                        >>> James
                        >>>

                        >> MinGW runs on Windows with Unix-like tools, doesn't it?
                        >>

                        > Yes, that's one use of MinGW, but there is also a linux->win32
                        > cross-compiler. Your distribution may have packages. The MinGW wiki
                        > also has a HOWTO[0] for building the cross-compiler from their tools.
                        >
                        > James
                        > [0] http://www.mingw.org/MinGWiki/index.php/build%20a%20Win32%20x-compiler%20for%20Linux

                        My distribution has lots of packages; but searching in yast2 among all
                        (installed and uninstalled) packages for "Name/Summary/Description
                        Contains mingw (case-insensitive)" gives: Null result. Similarly, rpm
                        -qa |grep mingw (which IIUC searches only the names of installed
                        packages) also gives nothing.

                        I see that wiki but I'm not anymore enough of a guru to be certain that
                        it will not clobber my installation of gcc for Linux. If it seems simple
                        to you, why don't you do it yourself? I imagine (maybe in error, but...)
                        that there are so many things that could go wrong... If I could do it
                        successfully on Windows, it was thaks to Steve Hall, who paved the way
                        for me, compiled a number of versions (starting at 6.1 or earlier),
                        published his own "HowTo" which I could follow but also (maybe more
                        important) understand the procedure and vary it to make it flow smoothly
                        to generate the 4 executabvles I wished foor... Then he stopped
                        compiling for a time and I started publishing builds for every patch.
                        Later I disappeared from the scene and he took back the flag. Let him
                        keep it. His self-installers are neater than anything I could produce;
                        and I would start with the handicap of starting from scratch again,
                        learning by hit-and-miss again (and probably getting many more misses
                        than hits, at least at first).

                        Please, let me concentrate my efforts on Vim versions whose proper
                        workings I can check. If anyone on Windows is not content with Steve
                        Hall's build (7.0.017 at the moment), I will (if needed) help him
                        compile his own; but that cross-compiling stuff sounds to me like much
                        ado about very little...

                      • A.J.Mechelynck
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 6, 2006
                          Steve Hall wrote:
                          > From: "A.J.Mechelynck", Jun 6, 2006 9:30 AM
                          >
                          >> Until or unless....I think I'll take a back seat to the development
                          >> of Vim executables for Windows.
                          >>

                          > Tony, for what it's worth, I've improved the Cream build routines so
                          > that we can stay on top of patches more easily. Our previous delay was
                          > due to a hardware changeover that is now in the past, and we can now
                          > do the whole patch/build with a single command. Once we script the
                          > upload and page reference updates, the whole thing will be croned
                          > nightly.

                          Good! So I really can afford to leave the distribution of W32 Vim safely
                          in your hands.

                          > I'd do the same with GNU/Linux, but I haven't figured RPMS yet. :)

                          And even if someday you do understand RPM (used by RedHat and SuSE),
                          you'll still have to figure out dpkg (for Debian) and what-not... I have
                          compiled gvim on my SuSE system and found the process remarkably easy.
                          If you have comments about my new HowTo for Linux (
                          http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm ) I sure want
                          to hear them. For one thing, you will notice that contrary to "official"
                          recommendations, I don't modify the Makefile: so I keep track of my
                          configure options for use with the next version; and if a patch someday
                          affects the Makefile it won't be thrown out of sync because of anything
                          I did.

                          I don't have Python in my current gvim but I can live without it; there
                          is a python-devel package in my distribution but it refuses to install
                          (bad RPM format or something). I may someday look into it but it's low
                          on my agenda.

                          Oh, and BTW, the version of Vim that came with that SuSE distribution is
                          a kvim 6.2.014. How old is that? I used it for one day to make ready to
                          compile my own, and now I don't need it anymore. Good riddance!

                          Best wishes to you. :-)

                        • James Vega
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 6, 2006
                            On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 05:58:56PM +0200, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
                            > James Vega wrote:

                            > >>MinGW runs on Windows with Unix-like tools, doesn't it?
                            > >>

                            > >Yes, that's one use of MinGW, but there is also a linux->win32
                            > >cross-compiler. Your distribution may have packages. The MinGW wiki
                            > >also has a HOWTO[0] for building the cross-compiler from their tools.
                            > >
                            > >James
                            > >[0]
                            > >http://www.mingw.org/MinGWiki/index.php/build%20a%20Win32%20x-compiler%20for%20Linux
                            > >
                            > My distribution has lots of packages; but searching in yast2 among all
                            > (installed and uninstalled) packages for "Name/Summary/Description
                            > Contains mingw (case-insensitive)" gives: Null result. Similarly, rpm
                            > -qa |grep mingw (which IIUC searches only the names of installed
                            > packages) also gives nothing.
                            >
                            > I see that wiki but I'm not anymore enough of a guru to be certain that
                            > it will not clobber my installation of gcc for Linux. If it seems simple
                            > to you, why don't you do it yourself?

                            I was more pointing this out for informational purposes instead of
                            trying to push you to continue producing win32 versions of Vim. :)

                            James
                          • A.J.Mechelynck
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 7, 2006
                              James Vega wrote:
                              [...]
                              > I was more pointing this out for informational purposes instead of
                              > trying to push you to continue producing win32 versions of Vim. :)
                              >
                              > James

                              Ah, that lifts a great weight off my heart. ;-) Especially now that I
                              heard from Steve Hall that the reason he had stopped producing
                              self-installers has now gone away.