VS2005 linking errors with FEATURES=TINY GUI=yes OLE=yes

  • Mathias Michaelis
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 4, 2006
      Hi developers

      If I compile vim on Windows XP with Microsoft Visual Studio 2005
      Express Edition on the command line with

      nmake -f Make_mvc.mak DEBUG=yes FEATURES=TINY GUI=yes OLE=yes

      I get the errors:

      ex_cmds2.obj : error LNK2019:
      unresolved external symbol _get_locale_val referenced
      in function _get_mess_env

      os_mswin.obj : error LNK2019:
      unresolved external symbol _gui_mch_dialog referenced
      in function _display_errors

      Is this a bug or isn't this configuration supported for certain reasons?

      Thanks for any replies!
      Best regards
      Mathias
    • A.J.Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 4, 2006
        Mathias Michaelis wrote:
        > Hi developers
        >
        > If I compile vim on Windows XP with Microsoft Visual Studio 2005
        > Express Edition on the command line with
        >
        > nmake -f Make_mvc.mak DEBUG=yes FEATURES=TINY GUI=yes OLE=yes
        >
        > I get the errors:
        >
        > ex_cmds2.obj : error LNK2019:
        > unresolved external symbol _get_locale_val referenced
        > in function _get_mess_env
        >
        > os_mswin.obj : error LNK2019:
        > unresolved external symbol _gui_mch_dialog referenced
        > in function _display_errors
        >
        > Is this a bug or isn't this configuration supported for certain reasons?
        >
        > Thanks for any replies!
        > Best regards
        > Mathias

        I guess it's a bug; but "Tiny" features means barest bones, without
        arithmetic evaluation and without syntax highlighting. I don't recommend
        it. On Windows the default is "Normal" features and I recommend "Big" or
        "Huge", especially for a "debug" version. On Unix-like systems, on some
        systems such as RedHat or SuSE there may be up to three different
        featuresets of a single version and patchlevel, as follows; any or all
        of them may be installed on a given machine:

        - "vi", which is actually Vim with Tiny features and no GUI, placed
        in a directory that will always be mounted, for use in
        single-user-without-X11 "system repair" mode (packages vim-common and
        vim-minimal)
        - "vim" with Big features but no GUI, for use in Console mode, in
        /dev/tty or possibly in an xterm (vim-common and vim-enhanced)
        - "gvim" with Big or Huge features and GUI, for use in X11
        (vim-common and vim-x11).

      • Yegappan Lakshmanan
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 4, 2006
          Hi Mathias,

          On 6/4/06, Mathias Michaelis <michaelis@...> wrote:
          > Hi developers
          >
          > If I compile vim on Windows XP with Microsoft Visual Studio 2005
          > Express Edition on the command line with
          >
          > nmake -f Make_mvc.mak DEBUG=yes FEATURES=TINY GUI=yes OLE=yes
          >
          > I get the errors:
          >
          > ex_cmds2.obj : error LNK2019:
          > unresolved external symbol _get_locale_val referenced
          > in function _get_mess_env
          >
          > os_mswin.obj : error LNK2019:
          > unresolved external symbol _gui_mch_dialog referenced
          > in function _display_errors
          >
          > Is this a bug or isn't this configuration supported for certain reasons?

          You should be able to compile Vim with the tiny feature set.
          I guess some more checks needs to be added to the
          feature.h file.

          - Yegappan
        • Mathias Michaelis
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 5, 2006
            Hi Tony

            Thanks for your reply!

            >> If I compile vim on Windows XP with Microsoft Visual Studio
            >> 2005 Express Edition on the command line with
            >>
            >> nmake -f Make_mvc.mak DEBUG=yes FEATURES=TINY GUI=yes OLE=yes
            >>
            >> I get the [some] errors:
            >>
            > I guess it's a bug; but "Tiny" features means barest bones,
            > without arithmetic evaluation and without syntax highlighting. I
            > don't recommend it.

            There is another bug that leads vim to crash sometimes. I will
            report it here as soon I can describe it in a reproducible manner.
            Anyway, I am trying to create a vim that is as small as possible but
            in spite of that has the property to crash. I hope it is easier to
            trace down the cause of the crash in a tiny vim than in a huge one.

            With best regards

            Mathias
          • A.J.Mechelynck
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 5, 2006
              Mathias Michaelis wrote:
              > Hi Tony
              >
              > Thanks for your reply!
              >

              >>> If I compile vim on Windows XP with Microsoft Visual Studio
              >>> 2005 Express Edition on the command line with
              >>>
              >>> nmake -f Make_mvc.mak DEBUG=yes FEATURES=TINY GUI=yes OLE=yes
              >>>
              >>> I get the [some] errors:
              >>>

              >> I guess it's a bug; but "Tiny" features means barest bones,
              >> without arithmetic evaluation and without syntax highlighting. I
              >> don't recommend it.
              >>

              > There is another bug that leads vim to crash sometimes. I will
              > report it here as soon I can describe it in a reproducible manner.
              > Anyway, I am trying to create a vim that is as small as possible but
              > in spite of that has the property to crash. I hope it is easier to
              > trace down the cause of the crash in a tiny vim than in a huge one.
              >
              > With best regards
              >
              > Mathias

              It may be; but as long as the crash is reproducible, and Bram can
              reproduce it, then Bram (who has debugging tools _and_ unequaled
              knowledge of Vim) can usually track it down. He will then produce a
              "test patch" to be tried by the people who experienced the crash, and if
              it works, an "official patch" which will go as the next one in series on
              the official Vim site (currently there are 17 such "official patches" to
              Vim 7.0).

              Some crashes may happen in a "tiny" version but not in a "huge" one
              because of a forgotten or misplaced #ifdef though. (Since few people use
              the "tiny" version, errors which only affect it and not the larger ones
              take longer to fix.)

              Of course, while Bram is away nothing much happens; but when he comes
              back he'll clear his backlog of email messages.