Re: Vim on Windows XP x64

  • Ron Blaschke
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2006
      George Reilly wrote:
      >> I recently managed to compile Vim on Windows XP x64, including the
      >> Explorer integration. I don't know if everything is working, but I'm
      >> using it for my daily work and at least everything I use seems fine.
      >>
      >> Let me know if the binaries or source changes are of interest to anyone.
      >
      > I ported Vim to Win64 a few months back, and Bram incorporated my patches
      > in 7.0. I'm not sure if I tested out gvimext or not. Unfortunately, I
      > don't have regular access to a Win64 box, so I've used my Win64 binaries
      > very little myself.

      I see, that's why very few changes were necessary.

      I only had to

      - Remove the __attribute__ annotations, as these seem to be unsupported
      by Visual C++; they can be replaced with __declspec, though. This is
      only a problem with the Perl interface.

      - Make things work with the unmanaged assemblies, i.e. embed manifests
      into all executables and DLLs.

      - Link in the buffer overflow protection library bufferoverflowU.lib.

      > Please send the patches.

      I modified everything in place which will break the other build
      configurations, and even did some things on the command line (embedding
      some manifests). On the other hand, I had to change nothing x64
      specific, the changes are necessary when compiling with the Microsoft
      Platform SDK, or Visual C++ 2005.

      Is someone working on integrating Microsoft Platform SDK / Visual C++ 2005?

      Ron
    • A.J.Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2006
        Ron Blaschke wrote:
        > George Reilly wrote:

        >>> I recently managed to compile Vim on Windows XP x64, including the
        >>> Explorer integration. I don't know if everything is working, but I'm
        >>> using it for my daily work and at least everything I use seems fine.
        >>>
        >>> Let me know if the binaries or source changes are of interest to anyone.
        >>>
        >> I ported Vim to Win64 a few months back, and Bram incorporated my patches
        >> in 7.0. I'm not sure if I tested out gvimext or not. Unfortunately, I
        >> don't have regular access to a Win64 box, so I've used my Win64 binaries
        >> very little myself.
        >>

        > I see, that's why very few changes were necessary.
        >
        > I only had to
        >
        > - Remove the __attribute__ annotations, as these seem to be unsupported
        > by Visual C++; they can be replaced with __declspec, though. This is
        > only a problem with the Perl interface.
        >
        > - Make things work with the unmanaged assemblies, i.e. embed manifests
        > into all executables and DLLs.
        >
        > - Link in the buffer overflow protection library bufferoverflowU.lib.
        >

        >> Please send the patches.
        >>

        > I modified everything in place which will break the other build
        > configurations, and even did some things on the command line (embedding
        > some manifests). On the other hand, I had to change nothing x64
        > specific, the changes are necessary when compiling with the Microsoft
        > Platform SDK, or Visual C++ 2005.
        >
        > Is someone working on integrating Microsoft Platform SDK / Visual C++ 2005?
        >
        > Ron

        Well, could you diff your new sources (including the makefile,
        Make_mvc.mak IIUC) against the original ones? Hopefully it should be
        possible to integrate them into common sources with some
        compiler-directing statements (ifdef and similar).

      • Ron Blaschke
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 2, 2006
          A.J.Mechelynck wrote:

          > Well, could you diff your new sources (including the makefile,
          > Make_mvc.mak IIUC) against the original ones? Hopefully it should be
          > possible to integrate them into common sources with some
          > compiler-directing statements (ifdef and similar).

          Gladly. I'll post a diff during next, when I have access to my x64 box
          again.

          Ron
        • Mathias Michaelis
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 2006
            > Is someone working on integrating Microsoft Platform SDK / Visual
            > C++ 2005?

            Yes, I do, and I already have sent some patches to this list.

            Please pay attention to them, I don't want to create them again.

            With kind regards

            Mathias