Re: Vim on Windows XP x64

  • George Reilly
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2006
      > I recently managed to compile Vim on Windows XP x64, including the
      > Explorer integration. I don't know if everything is working, but I'm
      > using it for my daily work and at least everything I use seems fine.
      >
      > Let me know if the binaries or source changes are of interest to anyone.

      I ported Vim to Win64 a few months back, and Bram incorporated my patches in 7.0. I'm not sure if I tested out gvimext or not. Unfortunately, I don't have regular access to a Win64 box, so I've used my Win64 binaries very little myself.

      Please send the patches.

      --
      /George V. Reilly mailto:george@...
      http://www.georgevreilly.com/blog/
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2006
        George Reilly wrote:
        >> I recently managed to compile Vim on Windows XP x64, including the
        >> Explorer integration. I don't know if everything is working, but I'm
        >> using it for my daily work and at least everything I use seems fine.
        >>
        >> Let me know if the binaries or source changes are of interest to anyone.
        >
        > I ported Vim to Win64 a few months back, and Bram incorporated my patches
        > in 7.0. I'm not sure if I tested out gvimext or not. Unfortunately, I
        > don't have regular access to a Win64 box, so I've used my Win64 binaries
        > very little myself.

        I see, that's why very few changes were necessary.

        I only had to

        - Remove the __attribute__ annotations, as these seem to be unsupported
        by Visual C++; they can be replaced with __declspec, though. This is
        only a problem with the Perl interface.

        - Make things work with the unmanaged assemblies, i.e. embed manifests
        into all executables and DLLs.

        - Link in the buffer overflow protection library bufferoverflowU.lib.

        > Please send the patches.

        I modified everything in place which will break the other build
        configurations, and even did some things on the command line (embedding
        some manifests). On the other hand, I had to change nothing x64
        specific, the changes are necessary when compiling with the Microsoft
        Platform SDK, or Visual C++ 2005.

        Is someone working on integrating Microsoft Platform SDK / Visual C++ 2005?

        Ron
      • A.J.Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 2, 2006
          Ron Blaschke wrote:
          > George Reilly wrote:

          >>> I recently managed to compile Vim on Windows XP x64, including the
          >>> Explorer integration. I don't know if everything is working, but I'm
          >>> using it for my daily work and at least everything I use seems fine.
          >>>
          >>> Let me know if the binaries or source changes are of interest to anyone.
          >>>
          >> I ported Vim to Win64 a few months back, and Bram incorporated my patches
          >> in 7.0. I'm not sure if I tested out gvimext or not. Unfortunately, I
          >> don't have regular access to a Win64 box, so I've used my Win64 binaries
          >> very little myself.
          >>

          > I see, that's why very few changes were necessary.
          >
          > I only had to
          >
          > - Remove the __attribute__ annotations, as these seem to be unsupported
          > by Visual C++; they can be replaced with __declspec, though. This is
          > only a problem with the Perl interface.
          >
          > - Make things work with the unmanaged assemblies, i.e. embed manifests
          > into all executables and DLLs.
          >
          > - Link in the buffer overflow protection library bufferoverflowU.lib.
          >

          >> Please send the patches.
          >>

          > I modified everything in place which will break the other build
          > configurations, and even did some things on the command line (embedding
          > some manifests). On the other hand, I had to change nothing x64
          > specific, the changes are necessary when compiling with the Microsoft
          > Platform SDK, or Visual C++ 2005.
          >
          > Is someone working on integrating Microsoft Platform SDK / Visual C++ 2005?
          >
          > Ron

          Well, could you diff your new sources (including the makefile,
          Make_mvc.mak IIUC) against the original ones? Hopefully it should be
          possible to integrate them into common sources with some
          compiler-directing statements (ifdef and similar).

        • Ron Blaschke
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 2, 2006
            A.J.Mechelynck wrote:

            > Well, could you diff your new sources (including the makefile,
            > Make_mvc.mak IIUC) against the original ones? Hopefully it should be
            > possible to integrate them into common sources with some
            > compiler-directing statements (ifdef and similar).

            Gladly. I'll post a diff during next, when I have access to my x64 box
            again.

            Ron
          • Mathias Michaelis
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3, 2006
              > Is someone working on integrating Microsoft Platform SDK / Visual
              > C++ 2005?

              Yes, I do, and I already have sent some patches to this list.

              Please pay attention to them, I don't want to create them again.

              With kind regards

              Mathias