Vim on Windows XP x64

  • Ron Blaschke
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2006
      Hi,

      I recently managed to compile Vim on Windows XP x64, including the
      Explorer integration. I don't know if everything is working, but I'm
      using it for my daily work and at least everything I use seems fine.

      Let me know if the binaries or source changes are of interest to anyone.

      Ron
    • George Reilly
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2006
        > I recently managed to compile Vim on Windows XP x64, including the
        > Explorer integration. I don't know if everything is working, but I'm
        > using it for my daily work and at least everything I use seems fine.
        >
        > Let me know if the binaries or source changes are of interest to anyone.

        I ported Vim to Win64 a few months back, and Bram incorporated my patches in 7.0. I'm not sure if I tested out gvimext or not. Unfortunately, I don't have regular access to a Win64 box, so I've used my Win64 binaries very little myself.

        Please send the patches.

        --
        /George V. Reilly mailto:george@...
        http://www.georgevreilly.com/blog/
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 2, 2006
          George Reilly wrote:
          >> I recently managed to compile Vim on Windows XP x64, including the
          >> Explorer integration. I don't know if everything is working, but I'm
          >> using it for my daily work and at least everything I use seems fine.
          >>
          >> Let me know if the binaries or source changes are of interest to anyone.
          >
          > I ported Vim to Win64 a few months back, and Bram incorporated my patches
          > in 7.0. I'm not sure if I tested out gvimext or not. Unfortunately, I
          > don't have regular access to a Win64 box, so I've used my Win64 binaries
          > very little myself.

          I see, that's why very few changes were necessary.

          I only had to

          - Remove the __attribute__ annotations, as these seem to be unsupported
          by Visual C++; they can be replaced with __declspec, though. This is
          only a problem with the Perl interface.

          - Make things work with the unmanaged assemblies, i.e. embed manifests
          into all executables and DLLs.

          - Link in the buffer overflow protection library bufferoverflowU.lib.

          > Please send the patches.

          I modified everything in place which will break the other build
          configurations, and even did some things on the command line (embedding
          some manifests). On the other hand, I had to change nothing x64
          specific, the changes are necessary when compiling with the Microsoft
          Platform SDK, or Visual C++ 2005.

          Is someone working on integrating Microsoft Platform SDK / Visual C++ 2005?

          Ron
        • A.J.Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 2, 2006
            Ron Blaschke wrote:
            > George Reilly wrote:

            >>> I recently managed to compile Vim on Windows XP x64, including the
            >>> Explorer integration. I don't know if everything is working, but I'm
            >>> using it for my daily work and at least everything I use seems fine.
            >>>
            >>> Let me know if the binaries or source changes are of interest to anyone.
            >>>
            >> I ported Vim to Win64 a few months back, and Bram incorporated my patches
            >> in 7.0. I'm not sure if I tested out gvimext or not. Unfortunately, I
            >> don't have regular access to a Win64 box, so I've used my Win64 binaries
            >> very little myself.
            >>

            > I see, that's why very few changes were necessary.
            >
            > I only had to
            >
            > - Remove the __attribute__ annotations, as these seem to be unsupported
            > by Visual C++; they can be replaced with __declspec, though. This is
            > only a problem with the Perl interface.
            >
            > - Make things work with the unmanaged assemblies, i.e. embed manifests
            > into all executables and DLLs.
            >
            > - Link in the buffer overflow protection library bufferoverflowU.lib.
            >

            >> Please send the patches.
            >>

            > I modified everything in place which will break the other build
            > configurations, and even did some things on the command line (embedding
            > some manifests). On the other hand, I had to change nothing x64
            > specific, the changes are necessary when compiling with the Microsoft
            > Platform SDK, or Visual C++ 2005.
            >
            > Is someone working on integrating Microsoft Platform SDK / Visual C++ 2005?
            >
            > Ron

            Well, could you diff your new sources (including the makefile,
            Make_mvc.mak IIUC) against the original ones? Hopefully it should be
            possible to integrate them into common sources with some
            compiler-directing statements (ifdef and similar).

          • Ron Blaschke
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 2, 2006
              A.J.Mechelynck wrote:

              > Well, could you diff your new sources (including the makefile,
              > Make_mvc.mak IIUC) against the original ones? Hopefully it should be
              > possible to integrate them into common sources with some
              > compiler-directing statements (ifdef and similar).

              Gladly. I'll post a diff during next, when I have access to my x64 box
              again.

              Ron
            • Mathias Michaelis
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 3, 2006
                > Is someone working on integrating Microsoft Platform SDK / Visual
                > C++ 2005?

                Yes, I do, and I already have sent some patches to this list.

                Please pay attention to them, I don't want to create them again.

                With kind regards

                Mathias