Strange redraw problem on x86-64 Linux

  • Ron Aaron
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2006
      I'm using Frugalware x86-64 as my Linux distro on my server machine.

      For some reason, "gvim" (compiled with --enable-features=big) has a very
      strange redraw problem, which is that it doesn't properly redraw the
      screen if the vim window is obscured, and requires ^L to redraw.

      The problem also seems to manifest itself when doing any colon command, in
      that the first word on the command line shows up, but subsequent words are
      not drawn visibly (though they are there).

      A further problem is that the fonts are ragged rather than smooth.

      The same vim (e.g. compiled from the same source) on my Frugalware x86
      32-bit on my laptop works fine.

      So I don't know if there is some strangeness about the distro or whether
      there may be a 64bit linux problem.

      Does anyone have ideas on how to narrow down the problem?
    • Ron Aaron
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2006
        > I'm using Frugalware x86-64 as my Linux distro on my server machine.
        >
        > For some reason, "gvim" (compiled with --enable-features=big) has a very
        > strange redraw problem, which is that it doesn't properly redraw the
        > screen if the vim window is obscured, and requires ^L to redraw.

        I should add that the system was using xorg 7.1, which I downgraded to 7.0
        based upon some comments on the Frugalware forum -- but that did not
        change the problem.

        I've got GTK2 GUI, X11. The GTK version on the machine is 2.4
      • Ron Aaron
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2006
          >> I'm using Frugalware x86-64 as my Linux distro on my server machine.

          Aha! When I change to a bitmap font the display problem seems to go away!
          TrueType and PS fonts look ugly.