Netbeans Interface

  • Sebastian Menge
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2006
      Hi

      Under *netbeans-configure* it is said, that "only gvim is supported".

      Does that mean i never can use the netbeans-interface in a terminal
      (since the dependency on gvim is hardcoded in netbeans.c)?

      Or does it mean that i have to compile my own vim with disabled
      gui-support and enabled netbeans?

      TIA,

      Sebastian.
    • Xavier de Gaye
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2006
        --- Sebastian Menge <sebastian.menge@...> wrote:

        > Under *netbeans-configure* it is said, that "only gvim is supported".
        >
        > Does that mean i never can use the netbeans-interface in a terminal
        > (since the dependency on gvim is hardcoded in netbeans.c)?
        >
        > Or does it mean that i have to compile my own vim with disabled
        > gui-support and enabled netbeans?

        Netbeans can only be used with gvim compiled either with GTK, Motif, or
        with the Windows version of gvim. It cannot be used with plain vim
        running in a terminal.

        Xavier

        --
        http://clewn.sourceforge.net gdb support in Vim
      • Sebastian Menge
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2006
          Am Donnerstag, den 01.06.2006, 16:08 +0200 schrieb Sebastian Menge:
          > Or does it mean that i have to compile my own vim with disabled
          > gui-support and enabled netbeans?

          I forgot to mention what I want to do ...

          I want to communicate via the netbenas-protocol with a vim in a
          terminal. That vim should not have any X or GUI features.

          Is that possible?

          If yes, how would I have to ./configure vim? I tried

          ./configure --enable-gui=no --enable-netbeans

          But it doesnt seem to work.

          On my ubuntu box 'vim --version' has +netbeans_intg and +X11, is linked
          against gnome-libs. If I start my homebrewn netbeans-server, and then
          'vim -nb', nothing happens. If I type :gui in the same vim-instance, it
          immediatly connects to the server and executes the test command.

          Thanks to anyone helping me with this.

          regards, Sebastian.

          PS: my test server:

          start it first, then 'gvim -nb'

          ---------------
          import java.io.BufferedReader;
          import java.io.IOException;
          import java.io.InputStreamReader;
          import java.io.PrintWriter;
          import java.net.ServerSocket;
          import java.net.Socket;

          public class VimNBApp {

          private static ServerSocket socket;
          private static Socket vimSocket;

          try {
          socket = new ServerSocket(3219);
          System.out.print("Server waiting for connection ...");
          vimSocket = socket.accept();
          System.out.println(" connected.");

          PrintWriter out =
          new PrintWriter(vimSocket.getOutputStream(), true);
          BufferedReader in =
          new BufferedReader(
          new InputStreamReader(vimSocket.getInputStream()
          ));

          //handshake
          System.out.println(in.readLine());
          System.out.println(in.readLine());
          System.out.println(in.readLine());

          String cmd = "1:editFile!123 \"/tmp/test.txt\"";
          out.println(cmd);
          System.out.println("sent: "+cmd);

          } catch (IOException e) {
          // TODO Auto-generated catch block
          e.printStackTrace();
          }
          }
          }
          -----------------
        • Sebastian Menge
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2006
            Am Donnerstag, den 01.06.2006, 12:49 -0700 schrieb Xavier de Gaye:
            > Netbeans can only be used with gvim compiled either with GTK, Motif, or
            > with the Windows version of gvim. It cannot be used with plain vim
            > running in a terminal.

            No workaround? The communication itself does not need the gui.

            Im no c-programmer, but that sounds, as if one would have to change
            little in netbeans.c .. !?

            Seb.
          • Xavier de Gaye
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 1, 2006
              --- Sebastian Menge <sebastian.menge@...> wrote:
              > Am Donnerstag, den 01.06.2006, 12:49 -0700 schrieb Xavier de Gaye:
              > > Netbeans can only be used with gvim compiled either with GTK, Motif, or
              > > with the Windows version of gvim. It cannot be used with plain vim
              > > running in a terminal.
              >
              > No workaround? The communication itself does not need the gui.
              >
              > Im no c-programmer, but that sounds, as if one would have to change
              > little in netbeans.c .. !?

              Vim, when run in a terminal is designed to work in a very poor
              environment, and there is only one thread of execution. On the other
              hand, the netbeans interface has been designed with a GUI in mind (since
              it was meant to be used by IDEs) and registers a call-back that is used
              to process the received netbeans messages. So, to port the netbeans
              interface to Vim in terminal mode is not simple. One would have probably
              to setup a hook in the main loop (RealWaitForChar() in os_unix.c), that
              is, right in the deep heart of Vim.
              Too bad.

              Xavier

              --