Patch: gvimext.dll don't find MSVCR80.dll when built with VC8. No context menu entries.

  • Mathias Michaelis
    Message 1 of 5 , May 30, 2006
      Patch 7.0.Make_GvimExt
      Problem: On Windows, when GvimExt is built with Microsoft Visual
      Studio 2005, the context menu item "Edit with vim" doesn't
      appear in Explorer. Reason: GvimExt.dll cannot be loaded,
      because it is not prepared to the Windows Side by Side
      Components subsystem and so cannot find the C Runtime
      library in MSVCR80.dll.
      Solution: A manifest file is created by the linker. Embed it into
      the resources of GvimExt.dll.
      Files: src/GvimExt/Makefile

      *** ..\vim-7.0.000\src\GvimExt\Makefile 2006-05-07 16:13:00.000000000 +0200
      --- src\GvimExt\Makefile 2006-05-30 14:42:37.168430400 +0200
      ***************
      *** 19,24 ****
      --- 19,25 ----
      # $(implib) /NOLOGO -machine:$(CPU) -def:gvimext.def $** -out:gvimext.lib
      # $(link) $(dlllflags) -base:0x1C000000 -out:$*.dll $** $(olelibsdll) shell32.lib gvimext.lib comctl32.lib gvimext.exp
      $(link) $(lflags) -dll -def:gvimext.def -base:0x1C000000 -out:$*.dll $** $(olelibsdll) shell32.lib comctl32.lib
      + if exist $*.dll.manifest mt -nologo -manifest $*.dll.manifest -outputresource:$*.dll;2

      gvimext.obj: gvimext.h

      ***************
      *** 34,36 ****
      --- 35,38 ----
      - if exist gvimext.exp del gvimext.exp
      - if exist gvimext.obj del gvimext.obj
      - if exist gvimext.res del gvimext.res
      + - if exist gvimext.dll.manifest del gvimext.dll.manifest

      --
      Thanks a lot for the GvimExt project for Windows! I appreciate it
      very much.

      Greetings
      Mathias
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 17, 2006
        Mathias Michaelis wrote:

        > Patch 7.0.Make_GvimExt
        > Problem: On Windows, when GvimExt is built with Microsoft Visual
        > Studio 2005, the context menu item "Edit with vim" doesn't
        > appear in Explorer. Reason: GvimExt.dll cannot be loaded,
        > because it is not prepared to the Windows Side by Side
        > Components subsystem and so cannot find the C Runtime
        > library in MSVCR80.dll.
        > Solution: A manifest file is created by the linker. Embed it into
        > the resources of GvimExt.dll.
        > Files: src/GvimExt/Makefile

        I'm glad you managed to find a fix for this.

        I don't have this compiler. Can someone with MSVC 2005 verify this
        works properly? Is this the whole solution or does something else need
        to be changed?

        --
        FIRST HEAD: All right! All right! We'll kill him first and then have tea and
        biscuits.

      • George V. Reilly
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 17, 2006
          Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > Mathias Michaelis wrote:
          >

          >> Patch 7.0.Make_GvimExt
          >> Problem: On Windows, when GvimExt is built with Microsoft Visual
          >> Studio 2005, the context menu item "Edit with vim" doesn't
          >> appear in Explorer. Reason: GvimExt.dll cannot be loaded,
          >> because it is not prepared to the Windows Side by Side
          >> Components subsystem and so cannot find the C Runtime
          >> library in MSVCR80.dll.
          >> Solution: A manifest file is created by the linker. Embed it into
          >> the resources of GvimExt.dll.
          >> Files: src/GvimExt/Makefile
          >>

          > I'm glad you managed to find a fix for this.
          >
          > I don't have this compiler. Can someone with MSVC 2005 verify this
          > works properly? Is this the whole solution or does something else need
          > to be changed?

          Send me the patch and I'll try it out.

          --
          /George V. Reilly george@...
          http://www.georgevreilly.com/blog
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 19, 2006
            Bram, George

            >>> Patch 7.0.Make_GvimExt
            >>>
            >> I don't have this compiler. Can someone with MSVC 2005 verify this
            >> works properly?
            >>
            > Send me the patch and I'll try it out.

            Please retrieve _all_ my patches from the archive

            http://members.tcnet.ch/michaelis/vim/patches_vim_1.zip

            and pick out the ones that concern the mvc makefiles.

            Since only a view of my patches I published here have been discussed
            until now, I am afraid that the other ones could gone lost in the
            traffic of this list. Here is a list of all my patches so far:

            With best regards

            Mathias
          • Mathias Michaelis
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 19, 2006
              Hi *

              > Please retrieve _all_ my patches from the archive
              >
              > http://members.tcnet.ch/michaelis/vim/patches_vim_1.zip
              >
              > and pick out the ones that concern the mvc makefiles.
              >
              > Since only a view of my patches I published here have been discussed
              > until now, I am afraid that the other ones could gone lost in the
              > traffic of this list. Here is a list of all my patches so far:

              Uups -- my fears have become true: I've forgot one:

              I have recreated patches_vim_1.zip (above), it should now be up to
              date. I'm sorry!

              Best regards

              Mathias