Re: Short file name (Filename) not retained in Windows (XP)

  • A.J.Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 2 , May 22, 2006
      steven bensky wrote:
      > Short file name (Filename) is not being retained in
      > Windows (XP).
      >
      > VIM - Vi IMproved 7.0 (2006 May 7, compiled May 7
      > 2006 16:18:30)
      >
      > Don't know if this is a bug per say, but, ...
      >
      > -------
      >
      > Create a new file with a long filename.
      > vim "this_is_a_test"
      >
      > Save the file.
      > List the directory using the /x parameter.
      > dir /x
      > 05/22/2006 02:43 PM 4 THIS_I~1 this_is_a_test
      >
      > Short filename is THIS_I~1.
      >
      > Edit the file again & save the file.
      > vim "this_is_a_test"
      >
      > List the directory using the /x parameter.
      > dir /x
      > 05/22/2006 02:47 PM 4 THIS_I~2 this_is_a_test
      >
      > Short file name has changed to THIS_I~2.
      >
      > -------
      >
      > Subsequent edits of the file will retain the short
      > filename (as THIS_I~2), but the initial edit of a file
      > will change the short name from (what would typically
      > be) a ~1 to a ~2.
      >
      > -------
      >
      > I do not notice that behaviour in Vim 64.
      > VIM - Vi IMproved 6.4 (2005 Oct 15, compiled Oct 15
      > 2005 16:08:49)
      >
      > -------
      >
      > -Steven

      > http://mail.yahoo.com

      I may be wrong, but I think this might be related to your 'backupcopy'
      setting. If your setting means that Vim will first rename the file, then
      create a copy as the new version, I think the old (renamed) version may
      keep its short name long enough that the new (updated) version will have
      to get a different "serial number" at the end of /its/ short name. Try
      and see if ":set backupcopy=yes" (which overwrites the original file
      after copying it to what will be the backup) makes any difference.