RE: echo message missing

  • Robert Webb
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2006
      > Will inserting "redraw" command before echo help ? Like this:
      >
      > func! SaveSession()
      > mksession! aaaSession.vse
      > redraw
      > echo "Session saved"
      > endfunction

      You're right, this fixes it. Thanks.
      But is it a bug still that the echo message is lost due
      to a redraw caused by an earlier command? Maybe when echo
      goes to the screen, any pending redraw should be carried
      out first?

      Rob.

      --

      Robert Webb <RobertW@...>,
      Want to make polyhedra?
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2006
        On 5/2/06, Robert Webb <RobertW@...> wrote:
        > > Will inserting "redraw" command before echo help ? Like this:
        > >
        > > func! SaveSession()
        > > mksession! aaaSession.vse
        > > redraw
        > > echo "Session saved"
        > > endfunction
        >
        > You're right, this fixes it. Thanks.
        > But is it a bug still that the echo message is lost due
        > to a redraw caused by an earlier command? Maybe when echo
        > goes to the screen, any pending redraw should be carried
        > out first?

        I agree, it's inconvenient. It would be less surprising if
        'automatic redraw' not clear the single-line message
        on commandline.

        Out of 3 kinds of redraw
        (1) Ctrl-L
        (2) :redraw
        (3) automatic redraw not caused by (1) or (2)
        , I'd prefer that (3) not clear single-line message
        on commandline, and (1) did.

        Regarding (2), I'm not sure. Maybe :redraw! better
        clear but :redraw not ?

        Yakov
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2006
          Robert Webb wrote:

          > > Will inserting "redraw" command before echo help ? Like this:
          > >
          > > func! SaveSession()
          > > mksession! aaaSession.vse
          > > redraw
          > > echo "Session saved"
          > > endfunction
          >
          > You're right, this fixes it. Thanks.
          > But is it a bug still that the echo message is lost due
          > to a redraw caused by an earlier command? Maybe when echo
          > goes to the screen, any pending redraw should be carried
          > out first?

          A redraw may actually clear a message. This is tricky stuff. It's
          better to leave it as it is, otherwise the scripts that were carefully
          tuned with how it currently works will break.

          --
          Westheimer's Discovery:
          A couple of months in the laboratory can