RE: Comments about 7.0g

  • Robert Webb
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2006
      > > - I was excited about tabs, but a bit disappointed to see that
      > > they're only implemented using text in the Windows GUI version.
      > > Can't an actual tab control be used for this?
      >
      > In the MS-Windows version, the Win32 tab control is used to support
      > the tab pages. Which beta version of Vim7 are you using?

      7.0g. See my new email, it was because "e" had to be added to my
      'guioptions'.

      > > - With 'mousefocus' set, moving the mouse onto the tab bar makes
      > > the top window active. Putting the mouse on the tab bar shouldn't
      > > change which window is currently active. For one thing it means
      > > that when you put the mouse on the tab bar, the bar names may
      > > change, causing the tab you put the mouse on to move and possibly
      > > no longer be under the mouse.
      >
      > I am not able to reproduce this problem. With the 'mousefocus'
      > option set and with two horizontally split windows, when the mouse
      > pointer is on the tab bar, the current window is not changed. If the
      > cursor was in the bottom window, it remains in that window.

      Doesn't happen when a win32 tab control is used, but does happen when
      the text version of the tab bar is used (remove "e" from
      'guioptions').

      > > - Just noticed that after Ctrl+F on the :-line a menu appears when
      > > doing completion. This is nice, but I immediately went to select
      > > an option with the mouse, but it seems that doesn't work. Would
      > > be useful if it did.
      > >

      > When you press CTRL-F on the : prompt, you should get the cmdline
      > window where all the previous commands are displayed. This is a
      > normal Vim window, so you can use the normal Vim commands to edit
      > the contents displayed in the window and select a command to
      > execute. The cmdline window is supported in Vim6 also.

      Yes I knew about Ctrl-F, it was the menu of completion options I
      hadn't seen before. I now realise of course that this is not specific
      to the Ctrl+F window, but any vim window.

      So my comment now applies instead to completion in insert mode: would
      be nice if the mouse could be used to make a selection from the menu
      and to scroll the menu.

      > > "In the GUI tab pages line you can use the right mouse button to
      > > open menu."
      > >
      > > This doesn't seem to work on Windows2000.
      >
      > Which beta version of Vim7 are you using? The tabline menu should
      > work in the GUI version on Windows 2000.

      This was also because I had the text-version of the tab line. Works
      in the GUI version.

      Thanks,
      Rob.

      --

      Robert Webb <RobertW@...>,
      MineSweeper3D - Take Minesweeper to a whole new dimension!
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2, 2006
        Robert Webb wrote:

        > > This is the last chance to report problems.
        >
        > This is my first look at the version 7 line.
        > Here's a few things I noticed:
        >
        > - The VRML syntax file still causes the file to be folded by default.
        > This seems a bit rude, and is pretty annoying. I don't use the
        > folding features, so I have to then figure out how to unfold it all.
        > I think I tried to contact the maintainer long ago without success.
        > Is it just a matter of removing the "setlocal foldmethod=syntax"
        > line? Or is there a better way? Folding should be defined in case
        > the user wants to fold it, but a file should not be folded by
        > default.

        Please report issues with runtime files to their respective maintainers.
        Setting 'foldmethod' should be done in the ftplugin, not in the syntax
        file. But then only if one can expect that most people want folding.

        > - I was excited about tabs, but a bit disappointed to see that they're
        > only implemented using text in the Windows GUI version. Can't an
        > actual tab control be used for this?

        You already found out there is a GUI implementation.

        > - With 'mousefocus' set, moving the mouse onto the tab bar makes the
        > top window active. Putting the mouse on the tab bar shouldn't
        > change which window is currently active. For one thing it means
        > that when you put the mouse on the tab bar, the bar names may
        > change, causing the tab you put the mouse on to move and possibly no
        > longer be under the mouse.

        'mousefocus' makes many things work strange. I'll see if this is simple
        to change.

        > - When the tabs don't all fit, the tab names are truncated at the
        > start. Wouldn't it make more sense to truncate them from the end?
        > The extension of the file is probably the least relevant part of the
        > file name, but it is the last thing to go when the names are
        > truncated. In fact the same goes for the file names shown on lines
        > between split windows. I notice each part of a leading path is
        > truncated from the end, so why not the filename? Also, the path in
        > the tab is ALWAYS truncated, unlike what appears on the split lines,
        > even when there is plenty of room for the full path. Why not show
        > any leading path untruncated if it will fit?

        Truncating can be done in hundreds of ways. And it's not nice when tab
        labels change size a lot when opening or closing tab pages (you probably
        need to try it out to notice that). I'm not going to change this right
        now.

        > - Shouldn't there be some menu items for using tabs? So far I only
        > see "Open Tab" under the file menu. Some others should probably go
        > in the Window menu, eg creating a new empty tab, or splitting the
        > current window into a new tab.

        As soon as there are tab pages you can use the tabline menu. Thus you
        only really need one way to create a new tab, and opening a file in it
        is the most obvious thing to do. Most other things aren't all that
        useful and the menus are pretty full already.

        Anyway, I don't want to change the menu now unless there is a serious
        problem, because all the translations will get outdated.

        > - Dragging tabs to rearrange their order would be nice.

        I don't think GUI implementations support this. In the console it would
        be extremely difficult to make it look good.

        > - Just noticed that after Ctrl+F on the :-line a menu appears when
        > doing completion. This is nice, but I immediately went to select an
        > option with the mouse, but it seems that doesn't work. Would be
        > useful if it did.

        The mouse doesn't work for the popup menu. Too complicated. There
        should also be a GUI implementation, but nobody did that either.

        > - I restarted a session with two tabs, and a file on the second tab
        > was already open in another vim. For some reason it gave me TWO
        > warnings about the swap file already existing, both about the same
        > swap file (both .swp, not .swo or anything). Why two warnings?

        The session file probably contains something like this:

        args version.c main.c
        edit version.c

        I'll see if this specific situation can be avoided.

        > Sorry if some of these are old requests, or if some of them are a bit
        > late. I haven't been following this mailing list much for a long
        > time.

        Bit late now...

        --
        A village. Sound of chanting of Latin canon, punctuated by short, sharp
        cracks. It comes nearer. We see it is a line of MONKS ala SEVENTH SEAL

      • Robert Webb
        Message 3 of 7 , May 2, 2006
          > > - The VRML syntax file still causes the file to be folded by
          > > default. This seems a bit rude, and is pretty annoying. I don't
          > > use the folding features, so I have to then figure out how to
          > > unfold it all. I think I tried to contact the maintainer long ago
          > > without success. Is it just a matter of removing the "setlocal
          > > foldmethod=syntax" line? Or is there a better way? Folding
          > > should be defined in case the user wants to fold it, but a file
          > > should not be folded by default.
          >
          > Please report issues with runtime files to their respective
          > maintainers. Setting 'foldmethod' should be done in the ftplugin,
          > not in the syntax file. But then only if one can expect that most
          > people want folding.

          Tried the maintainer, but his email no longer exists:

          <gseidman@...>:
          64.18.6.10 does not like recipient.
          Remote host said: 550 No such user - psmtp

          Is it a simple matter of not doing "setlocal foldmethod=syntax" in the
          syntax file?

          Rob.

          --

          Robert Webb <RobertW@...>,
          MineSweeper3D - Take Minesweeper to a whole new dimension!
          http://www.software3d.com/Mines3D
        • Thomas Geulig
          Message 4 of 7 , May 2, 2006
            > > > - The VRML syntax file still causes the file to be folded by
            > > > default. This seems a bit rude, and is pretty annoying. I don't
            > > > use the folding features, so I have to then figure out how to
            > > > unfold it all. I think I tried to contact the maintainer long ago
            > > > without success. Is it just a matter of removing the "setlocal
            > > > foldmethod=syntax" line? Or is there a better way? Folding
            > > > should be defined in case the user wants to fold it, but a file
            > > > should not be folded by default.
            > >
            > > Please report issues with runtime files to their respective
            > > maintainers. Setting 'foldmethod' should be done in the ftplugin,
            > > not in the syntax file. But then only if one can expect that most
            > > people want folding.
            >
            > Tried the maintainer, but his email no longer exists:
            >
            > <gseidman@...>:
            > 64.18.6.10 does not like recipient.
            > Remote host said: 550 No such user - psmtp
            >
            > Is it a simple matter of not doing "setlocal foldmethod=syntax" in the
            > syntax file?

            You can simply

            set foldlevel=99

            in your .vimrc.

            Thomas
          • James Vega
            Message 5 of 7 , May 2, 2006
              On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 01:32:11AM +1000, Robert Webb wrote:
              > Is it a simple matter of not doing "setlocal foldmethod=syntax" in the
              > syntax file?

              If you don't use folding, I'd suggest setting 'nofoldenable' in your
              vimrc (I'm not sure why folding is enabled by default). VRML isn't the
              only filetype that sets up folding, but afaik most properly set it up in
              the filetype plugin.

              James