Re: Install Fails on Windows

  • Suresh Govindachar
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30, 2006
      Bill McCarthy wrote:

      > On Sat 29-Apr-06 3:49pm -0600, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      >
      >> There are two setups, the Unix one and the MS-Windows one.
      >>
      >> If you use the Unix setup you need to do "make install". Thus
      >> uses the files in the ../runtime directory that were unpacked
      >> from the Unix tar archive.
      >>
      >> If you use the MS-Windows setup you should unpack the
      >> vim70xxrt.zip file, which puts the runtime files below the src
      >> directory, without a runtime directory. Then you can use the
      >> install.exe.
      >
      > [...]
      >
      > The solutions [that appear to work] involve copying the contents
      > of runtime\ on top of vim70.f\ (which should produce some pretty
      > ugly results when CVS is back again
      > :-)

      I am not sure I understand the part about things getting ugly when
      CVS is back. Do you mean that when you use CVS, the location of
      your local copy of the sources and location of the install are
      essentially the same?

      As an aside to this thread, I would recommend using SVN today even
      if just to get vim sources: "installing" the client involves
      expanding zip files and does not mess with the registry; the only
      commands to use are checkout and update; you don't even have to
      add svn to your path!

      > I was hoping there was a simple way of enabling
      > dosinst.c to work with the unix tree.

      That would be good (unless there is something strange about
      Windows that makes having a separate directory $VIM\runtime on
      Windows slow down the user-experience; in which case I wouldn't
      mind the "extra" step of moving things up from inside runtime;
      there is a dos-batch file below that updates the local copy of the
      vim sources, builds gvim and vim, and deploys the result with
      stuff below runtime moved one level up).

      > Since Alpha and Beta versions have worked just fine without
      > installing, and there are no patches to apply to the older vim7
      > files that are are available, I'll just not "install" until the
      > release and subsequent patch releases.

      Given that you mentioned CVS above, I don't understand the part
      about patches. My understanding is that if one uses CVS (or SVN)
      to get the source, one will not have to apply patches. So even
      after vim7 is released and there are several post-release patches
      available, won't CVS (and SVN) reflect the latest sources without
      the need to apply patches?

      --Suresh

      PS: The following dos batch file ran successfully yesterday.
      It updates the local copy of the vim sources, builds gvim and
      vim, and deploys the result with stuff below runtime moved one
      level up. Before running it again, I need to address the part
      about the action of the file over-writing the existing deployed
      vim70f directory without saving the previous version.

      @echo off
      time /t

      :start_here

      if %USERNAME% == sgovindachar goto done_init

      @echo doing init ...

      set USERNAME=sgovindachar
      set USERDOMAIN=yahoo

      set path=%path%;c:\opt\MinGW\bin

      :done_init

      @echo after done_init

      @echo Proceding assuming init has been done ...

      @echo updating the vim sources ...
      c:\opt\svn\svn-win32-1.3.1\bin\svn.exe up vim7

      pushd c:\home\suresh\develop\vim\vim7\src

      mingw32-make.exe -f Make_ming.mak clean
      mingw32-make.exe -f Make_ming.mak FEATURES=HUGE DEBUG=no GUI=yes OLE=yes PERL=C:/opt/perl PERL_VER=58 ARCH=pentium4 CPUNR=pentium4 CC="gcc -msse -mfpmath=sse -mmmx" OPTIMIZE=MAXSPEED
      move /y *.exe ..

      mingw32-make.exe -f Make_ming.mak clean
      mingw32-make.exe -f Make_ming.mak FEATURES=HUGE DEBUG=no GUI=no OLE=yes PERL=C:/opt/perl PERL_VER=58 ARCH=pentium4 CPUNR=pentium4 CC="gcc -msse -mfpmath=sse -mmmx" OPTIMIZE=MAXSPEED
      move /y vim.exe ..

      cd ..
      xcopy /q /i * c:\opt\vim\vim70f
      cd runtime