Re: Problems OS X intel 6.x series

  • Chris Allen
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2006
      On 4/2/06, Brad Beveridge <brad.beveridge@...> wrote:
      > Can some other OS X Intel owners try this to confirm there is a
      > problem?

      Yes, this is a known bug in GCC 4 shipping with OS X (for both
      architectures, I'm pretty sure).

      > Any idea how to raise this with Apple?

      Nope, sorry.

      HTH,
      Chris Allen
    • David Chin
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2, 2006
        > Any idea how to raise this with Apple?

        You may try submitting a bug report:

        http://developer.apple.com/bugreporter/

        You'll have to sign up for a Developer Connection account, first.

        -- Dave
        Email: david.w.h.chin@...
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 2, 2006
          Brad Beveridge wrote:

          > I've spent most of today trying to build various Vims (6.2, 6.4, 6
          > series CVS) under OS X Intel.
          > I configured with "./configure --prefix=3D/opt/local --disable-darwin" I
          > only want the console version.
          > I was getting malloc/free problems in expand_files, it looked like
          > repl was being freed without being assigned to a valid pointer.
          > After much insanity, it appears that Apple's GCC causes some breakage
          > with -O2. Reducing the optimisation level to -O, it works again.
          >
          > gcc --version
          > i686-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1 (GCC) 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5250)
          >
          > Can some other OS X Intel owners try this to confirm there is a
          > problem? Any idea how to raise this with Apple?

          This is a gcc 4.0.1 problem. The optimizer reorders the code, so that a
          block of memory is freed before it is used. I stepped through it with
          the debugger to verify this actually happens.

          I haven't reported it, the docs on how to report bugs is very confusing.

          --
          This message contains 78% recycled characters.