:hardcopy and 'printencoding'

  • Benji Fisher
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2006
      I noticed a problem with :hardcopy today. With my defaults,

      'encoding' = utf-8
      'printencoding' =

      on Linux (FC2, GTK2, PS printer) I get an error (E673) when I do

      :hardcopy

      I can fix it with

      :set printencoding=latin1

      or

      :set encoding=latin1

      but it used to work smoothly on vim 6.4. I do not see any changes
      mentioned in version7.txt . I am a few days behind: vim 7.0c03.

      --Benji Fisher
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 31, 2006
        Benji Fisher wrote:

        > I noticed a problem with :hardcopy today. With my defaults,
        >
        > 'encoding' = utf-8
        > 'printencoding' =
        >
        > on Linux (FC2, GTK2, PS printer) I get an error (E673) when I do
        >
        > :hardcopy
        >
        > I can fix it with
        >
        > :set printencoding=latin1
        >
        > or
        >
        > :set encoding=latin1
        >
        > but it used to work smoothly on vim 6.4. I do not see any changes
        > mentioned in version7.txt . I am a few days behind: vim 7.0c03.

        I see it too. When 'printencoding' is empty it should use the default
        "latin1", as documented. Mike?

        --
        It is illegal to take more than three sips of beer at a time while standing.
        [real standing law in Texas, United States of America]

      • Mike Williams
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2006
          Bram Moolenaar did utter on 31/03/2006 18:51:
          > Benji Fisher wrote:
          >
          >> I noticed a problem with :hardcopy today. With my defaults,
          >>
          >> 'encoding' = utf-8
          >> 'printencoding' =
          >>
          >> on Linux (FC2, GTK2, PS printer) I get an error (E673) when I do
          >>
          >> :hardcopy
          >>
          >> I can fix it with
          >>
          >> :set printencoding=latin1
          >>
          >> or
          >>
          >> :set encoding=latin1
          >>
          >> but it used to work smoothly on vim 6.4. I do not see any changes
          >> mentioned in version7.txt . I am a few days behind: vim 7.0c03.
          >
          > I see it too. When 'printencoding' is empty it should use the default
          > "latin1", as documented. Mike?

          It should. However this error comes from an earlier check in
          mch_print_init() in hardcopy.c. I'll go back over the logic and supply
          a patch in the next day or two.

          TTFN

          Mike
          --