Re: Searching for local libraries

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 31, 2006
      Michail Vidiassov wrote:

      > On Fri, 31 Mar 2006, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      >
      > >> If reference to $prefix/lib are added before reference /usr/local/lib
      > >> (and to $prefix/include before /usr/local/include),
      > >> a small improvement can be achieved with small risk of harming anybody.
      > >
      > > I don't quite agree. $prefix is supposed to be used to specify where a
      > > program is to be installed. I find it quite unexpected if this also
      > > means the directories there will be searched for libraries and include
      > > files. Thus installing somewhere else may cause a different binary to
      > > be produced. I don't think that is supposed to happen.
      >
      > But as of now a user may also be surprised by vim adding
      > /usr/local to libaray and header search paths, without any asking.
      > What if /usr/local/lib was excluded from LDFLAGS for a reason?
      > Only when the directory exists and it wasn't there yet.

      /usr/local is a standard place to install additional packages. If you
      add something there it's to be expected that it gets used.

      > > If someone does have a different place than /usr/local where specific
      > > libraries and include files are to be found, perhaps we can use another
      > > variable for that. I don't know what would be a "standard" name for
      > > this.
      >
      > I have proposed an improvement to present guessing algorithm.
      > The deficiencies of my proposal originate from the deficiencies of
      > the idea of guessing locations.
      >
      > I concur that a consistent approach is another variable for
      > libraries and include files location or just telling the user to
      > set LDFLAGS and CFLAGS correctly (in LARGE FRIENDLY LETTERS ;)

      Let me give a specific example:

      - Admin wants to try out a new version of Vim for himself. He specifies
      prefix=$HOME. This causes some recent GTK version to be found in
      $HOME/lib. Vim works well.

      - Admin sees that new Vim works nice and decides to install it for all
      users. Admin specifies prefix=/usr/local or prefix=/opt/local and
      rebuilds Vim. Suddenly a different GTK version is used that causes
      bugs to popup. Users get angry at Admin.

      The point is that $prefix is ONLY for specifying where something is to
      be installed, not for anything else.

      --
      No man may purchase alcohol without written consent from his wife.
      [real standing law in Pennsylvania, United States of America]

    • Michail Vidiassov
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 31, 2006
        Dear Bram,

        On Fri, 31 Mar 2006, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        > Let me give a specific example:

        thank you. Now I see your point.

        > /usr/local is a standard place to install additional packages. If you
        > add something there it's to be expected that it gets used.

        Just a side note:
        Happy are Linux or BSD users who have one (system) package manager.
        Mac OS has many, one uses /usr/local by default,
        other /sw/local and mine /opt/local.
        But again, I see your point, /usr/local is more standard than others
        and deserves VIP treatment.

        Sincerely, Michail