Re: :match and 'hlsearch'

  • Nikolai Weibull
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 2, 2006
      > You appear to underestimate the impact matches have on redrawing speed.
      > There is a penatly for having to redraw more often and a penalty per
      > character to check for highlighting. I rather have plugin developers
      > stuggle with the small number of matches available than me having to
      > struggle to keep redrawing speedy. Sometimes less is better.

      Why not let plugin developers and the people that install them worry
      about redrawing speeds. If people install too many plugins and thus
      impair their redrawing speeds then let them fix it by picking and
      choosing the set of plugins that they can't live without. Just make
      it clear in the documentation the reasons for too many matches being a
      performance hog.

      It's better to plan something that can grow with more CPU-speed
      further on than to be locked into something that worked 2006 on an
      MS-DOS system or whatever system we're worrying about today. Let's
      not forget the quote that pops up in your signature once every so
      often about people never needing more than 640 kilobyte of memory, as
      said by a certain rich fellow that has built an operating system that
      is basically collapsing over itself due to backwards-compatibility
      issues and just a horrendous amount of code that has been
      incrementally put together to deal with new word-sizes and new
      technologies subsuming old ones. And while that quote is probably not
      correctly attributed, see http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Talk:Bill_Gates44
      and http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Bill_Gates45, I still think it is a
      point to consider.

      nikolai