Vim 6.4 WindowsXP

  • Ali Akcaagac
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2006
      Hi,

      at work I've been using VIM 6.4 (.exe setup as found on vim.org) as my
      primary editor under WindowsXP. I realized some strange behavior when
      using it in the shell (or however they call it under Windows :).

      Ok the problem is as follows. When I start the shell and press ALT+Enter
      to fullsize it and then run vim <somefile.txt> then sometimes the cursor
      sticks where it is and the entire VIM Window seem to scroll up and down.
      Flickering like mad. I have to restart VIM a bunch of times (usually 2-3
      times) to have it operate correctly e.g. have the cursor scroll rather
      the entire Window.

      Any ideas ?

      greetings,

      Ali Akcaagac
    • Yakov Lerner
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2006
        "Ali Akcaagac" <aliakc@...> wrote:
        > at work I've been using VIM 6.4 (.exe setup as found on vim.org) as my
        > primary editor under WindowsXP. I realized some strange behavior when
        > using it in the shell (or however they call it under Windows :).
        >
        > Ok the problem is as follows. When I start the shell and press ALT+Enter
        > to fullsize it and then run vim <somefile.txt> then sometimes the cursor
        > sticks where it is and the entire VIM Window seem to scroll up and down.

        What you describe reminds me of 'set so=999'. To diagnose if your
        problem
        is related to 'so', can you do these when this happens :

        (1) ':set so?'
        (2) if it is not 0, then ':verbose set so?'
        (3) if it is not 0, then you can try ':set so=0'

        BTW I use 'set so=999' all the time and it does not slow me down.
        If your case is related to 'so', then ':verbose set so?' will show
        you which script possibly turned it on.

        > Flickering like mad. I have to restart VIM a bunch of times (usually 2-3
        > times) to have it operate correctly e.g. have the cursor scroll rather
        > the entire Window.

        Yakov
        --

        iler_ml@...

      • Ali Akcaagac
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2006

          I see, I am going to test this and report back.