Re: :match and 'hlsearch'

  • Mikolaj M.
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 1, 2006

      > I was also wondering if anyone has a problem with the matchparen plugin
      > being a standard plugin. Does it interfere with anything? Is the delay
      > noticable?

      No problems, no delay.

      m.

      Interaktywna wystawa HI-TECH z Tokio ODKRYWANIE CZASU
      nauka, eksperyment, zabawa -> Warszawa, Pałac Kultury i Nauki
      do 29.11.2006 wspaniała rozrywka dla całej rodziny!
      http://klik.wp.pl/?adr=http%3A%2F%2Fadv.reklama.wp.pl%2Fas%2Fczas.html&sid=677
    • Halim, Salman
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 1, 2006
        That's not all! The sign line highlight no longer clobbers search and
        match, either!

        Did my piddling request have something to do this with, I wonder? :)

        Thanks a bunch,

        Salman.

        > Am I dreaming, or does use of the ":match" command no more
        > inhibit 'hlsearch' highlighting? If I'm right, then line 1195
        > of doc/pattern.txt isn't needed anymore.
        >
        > Test case:
        > :set hlsearch
        > /e
        > :match TODO /i/
        >
        > All occurrences of the letter e are still highlighted in
        > Search highlighting. Toggling 'hlsearch' and using the
        > ":match" command, with or without argument, now act on one
        > kind of highlight without touching the other.

        > Best regards,
        > Tony.
      • A. J. Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 1, 2006
          Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          [...]
          > That has been like this for a long time. The remark that the match
          > highlighting overrules search highlighting is that when you have both at
          > one character then match highlighting is used.

          Ah, a misunderstanding on my part then.

          >> And BTW, IMHO there should be a link to the new |pi_paren.txt| help
          >> file, not only under 'showmatch' and/or 'matchpairs' (where Bram will
          >> soon insert it, probably tonight) but also under :match (since, if the
          >> plugin is active, moving the cursor onto or off from a bracket will now
          >> kill ":match" highlighting).
          >
          > Right, the matchparen plugin uses ":match" and thus clears any previous
          > match pattern.
          >
          > Perhaps we should use a separate match for the matchparen plugin?
          > It's not too difficult, just requires more memory and a bit more time.
          >
          > How often would one use both the matchparen plugin and another kind of
          > ":match" highlighting?

          I think that could vary quite a lot from user to user. Personally I
          almost never use ":match", and at first the plugin seemed mildly
          annoying to me; but I guess I would use it more if my programming
          language of choice was LISP ;-) or even C, rather than HTML. (But if it
          were LISP, wouldn't I be editing in Emacs? ;-) )

          > I was also wondering if anyone has a problem with the matchparen plugin
          > being a standard plugin. Does it interfere with anything? Is the delay
          > noticable?

          The few times that I saw that highlight, I never noticed any delay.
          IIUC, it won't even try to look farther away than the limits of the
          current window, so the size of the editfile oughtn't to matter. And
          after your mail of this morning I made the following mappings:

          :map <F5> :DoMatchParen()<CR>
          :map <C-F5> :NoMatchParen()<CR>
          :imap <F5> <C-O>:DoMatchParen()<CR>
          :imap <C-F5> <C-O>:NoMatchParen()<CR>

          so I have it available at the press of a key if ever I want it.

          BTW, what would you think of an additional command, ":ToggleMatchParen"?
          And/or letting user scripts know whether match-paren highlighting is
          currently on or off? Either replace s:paren_hl_on by b:paren_hl_on or,
          maybe more secure,

          function paren_hl_status()
          return s:paren_hl_on
          endfunction

          affording read-only access to the variable (write access is by means of
          the *MatchParen commands).

          I have given some thought to the implications of making paren_hl_on
          buffer-local; I suppose it would be possible but would require a global
          companion variable so the user could set the default for future buffers.
          I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.

        • Halim, Salman
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 1, 2006
            > I was also wondering if anyone has a problem with the matchparen
            > plugin being a standard plugin. Does it interfere with
            > anything? Is the delay noticable?

            I second that, though I would like to add that I would prefer to have
            the enable/disable be on a per-buffer basis: I would set it in the
            ftplugin for java, HTML/XML and Vim, for example, but leave it disabled
            for when I'm typing up an email message or something like that.

            I do occasionally use :match to highlight lines that are too long
            (beyond my current &tw) and this would clobber that, but I could choose
            to disable it if I really wanted.

            If it is extended to also highlight surrounding brackets (please!) or
            the area within with a special background (as was suggested in the
            todo), then speed might become an issue. I get around that by faking
            things like this:

            autocmd! CursorMoved,CursorMovedI <buffer> if LongEnough(
            "b:matchparen_timer", 2, 5 ) | call s:Highlight_Matching_Pair() | endif
            autocmd! CursorHold,CursorHoldI <buffer> call
            s:Highlight_Matching_Pair()

            (Of course, in the global version, you'd replace the <buffer> with * and
            b:matchparen_timer with g:...)

            LongEnough is a function I wrote specifically for CursorMoved-related
            autocommands to ameliorate the slow-down effect (based on a discussion
            with Tony two weeks or so ago) -- calling it with the name of a variable
            in which to store the time of the last access (it will create a variable
            called b:matchparen_timer_callCount also) and "2, 5" means to return 1
            (true) no more than once every 2 seconds OR every 5 calls. In other
            words, it would match the surrounding parentheses if either 2 seconds
            have elapsed since it last returned true or the cursor has moved 5 times
            (the motion key was held down) -- it's not the immediate response one
            would like, but it's a tradeoff between immediate response and things
            sloing down too much. The CursorHold version further helps if I just
            sit still for a while without moving anything:

            " Returns true if at least delay seconds have elapsed since the last
            time this function was called, based on the time
            " contained in the variable "timer". The first time it is called, the
            variable is defined and the function returns
            " true.
            "
            " True means not zero.
            "
            " For example, to execute something no more than once every two seconds
            using a variable named "b:myTimer", do this:
            "
            " if LongEnough( "b:myTimer", 2 )
            " <do the thing>
            " endif
            "
            " The optional 3rd parameter is the number of times to suppress the
            operation within the specified time and then let it
            " happen even though the required delay hasn't happened. For example:
            "
            " if LongEnough( "b:myTimer", 2, 5 )
            " <do the thing>
            " endif
            "
            " Means to execute either every 2 seconds or every 5 calls, whichever
            happens first.
            function! LongEnough( timer, delay, ... )
            let result = 0

            let suppressionCount = 0
            if ( exists( 'a:1' ) )
            let suppressionCount = a:1
            endif

            " This is the first time we're being called.
            if ( !exists( a:timer ) )
            let result = 1
            else
            let timeElapsed = localtime() - {a:timer}

            " If it's been a while...
            if ( timeElapsed >= a:delay )
            let result = 1
            elseif ( suppressionCount > 0 )
            let {a:timer}_callCount += 1

            " It hasn't been a while, but the number of times we have been
            called has hit the suppression limit, so we activate
            " anyway.
            if ( {a:timer}_callCount >= suppressionCount )
            let result = 1
            endif
            endif
            endif

            " Reset both the timer and the number of times we've been called since
            the last update.
            if ( result )
            let {a:timer} = localtime()
            let {a:timer}_callCount = 0
            endif

            return result
            endfunction
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 1, 2006
              Halim Salman wrote:

              > That's not all! The sign line highlight no longer clobbers search and
              > match, either!
              >
              > Did my piddling request have something to do this with, I wonder? :)

              No, no, I completely ignore user requests! :-)

              Watch out for problems with highlighting though, the priority stuff is
              tricky.

              --
              "Making it up? Why should I want to make anything up? Life's bad enough
              as it is without wanting to invent any more of it."

            • Yakov Lerner
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 1, 2006
                "Bram Moolenaar" <Bram@...> wrote:
                > Right, the matchparen plugin uses ":match" and thus clears any previous
                > match pattern.
                >
                > Perhaps we should use a separate match for the matchparen plugin?

                Why not allow N separate match'es, identified by user-supplied name ?

                For example, then 'match Column80 Error /\%80c.*/' would peacefully
                coexist with paren-match and with 'unnamed' match set manually by the
                user.

                I use match sometimes. I think there might be uses for named matches.

                Yakov
                --

                iler_ml@...

                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 1, 2006
                  Yakov Lerner wrote:

                  > "Bram Moolenaar" <Bram@...> wrote:
                  > > Right, the matchparen plugin uses ":match" and thus clears any previous
                  > > match pattern.
                  > >
                  > > Perhaps we should use a separate match for the matchparen plugin?
                  >
                  > Why not allow N separate match'es, identified by user-supplied name ?
                  >
                  > For example, then 'match Column80 Error /\%80c.*/' would peacefully
                  > coexist with paren-match and with 'unnamed' match set manually by the
                  > user.
                  >
                  > I use match sometimes. I think there might be uses for named matches.

                  That's getting very complicated. It would require additional commands
                  to list the matches defined, clear matches by name or all of them, etc.
                  Implementation isn't simple either.

                  I tend to think that two or three matches will be sufficient. One for
                  the matchparen plugin, one for manual matching and one for another
                  plugin.

                  1. At lunch time, sit in your parked car with sunglasses on and point
                  a hair dryer at passing cars. See if they slow down.

                • Halim, Salman
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 1, 2006
                    This gets my vote.

                    Salman.

                    > Why not allow N separate match'es, identified by user-supplied name ?
                    >
                    > For example, then 'match Column80 Error /\%80c.*/' would
                    > peacefully coexist with paren-match and with 'unnamed' match
                    > set manually by the user.
                    >
                    > I use match sometimes. I think there might be uses for named matches.
                    >
                    > Yakov
                    > --
                  • Nikolai Weibull
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 1, 2006

                      > Yakov Lerner wrote:
                      > > Why not allow N separate match'es, identified by user-supplied name ?
                      > >
                      > > For example, then 'match Column80 Error /\%80c.*/' would peacefully
                      > > coexist with paren-match and with 'unnamed' match set manually by the
                      > > user.
                      > >
                      > > I use match sometimes. I think there might be uses for named matches.
                      >
                      > That's getting very complicated. It would require additional commands
                      > to list the matches defined, clear matches by name or all of them, etc.
                      > Implementation isn't simple either.
                      >
                      > I tend to think that two or three matches will be sufficient. One for
                      > the matchparen plugin, one for manual matching and one for another
                      > plugin.

                      I realize that it would be additional work, but I think it would be
                      worth it. There are quite a few things the :match command could be
                      used for that can't be done with syntax highlighting. I suppose
                      Tony's database-record lister is one plugin that could use it. Then
                      there's the column-X-type plugin that highlights too-long lines. I
                      was considering it for doing interactive-applications in Vim, but then
                      saw that it only supported one match at a time and forgot about it.

                      If we're going to go for two or three, then N is probably just as easy
                      to implement anyway, as a more general solution is generally (see)
                      easier to do.

                      nikolai

                      P.S.
                      Even further: it would be quite cool to be able to modify the
                      syntax-tree, i.e., being able to do something like

                      :call highlightline(5, Comment)

                      and even more fine-grained control, i.e., per-character highlighting.
                      But I guess that might be getting a bit too close to an operating
                      system.
                      D.S.
                    • mzyzik@gmail.com
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 1, 2006
                        wow this gets my vote also

                        I always just thought I was misusing :match somehow when I tried to
                        match several things

                        --Matt

                      • mzyzik@gmail.com
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 1, 2006
                          > I realize that it would be additional work, but I think it would be
                          > worth it. There are quite a few things the :match command could be
                          > used for that can't be done with syntax highlighting.

                          Ok I'm confused. What can ":match" do that ":syn match" cannot?

                          And for reference, I always use this in all my buffers:
                          highlight WhiteSpaceEOL ctermbg=darkgreen guibg=lightgreen
                          match WhiteSpaceEOL /\(^\s*\)\@<=\ \|\s\+$/
                          It matches all trailing whitespace and also any spaces in leading
                          whitespace.

                          If I do another match it clears the first. I noticed that I can do
                          multiple ":syn match" though. Can someone explain the difference.

                          --Matt
                        • Charles E. Campbell, Jr.
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 1, 2006
                            mzyzik@... wrote:

                            >Ok I'm confused. What can ":match" do that ":syn match" cannot?

                            Priority.

                            Example: assume one has a syn match for strings:

                            "this is a string that stretches out past 40 characters"

                            Assume one has a match:

                            match Error "/\%>40c"

                            With this setup, anything past column 40 will be Error highlighted.
                            However, changing that match to a syn match:

                            syn match Error '/\%>40c'

                            and you won't see any Error highlighting. Why? Because the string
                            highlighting began in column 2 *and continues*
                            until its match is over. Note that the string highlighting does not
                            contain the syn-match-Error. This problem is typical
                            of trying to shove a syn-match-Error of the sort shown into the
                            highlighting mix -- it doesn't have priority, isn't contained,
                            etc.

                            Furthermore, assume that you modify the string handling to contain your
                            new syn-match-error, but note that the string's
                            ending is inside the syn-match-Error, *not* inside the string match.
                            Now your strings won't terminate correctly.

                            Regards,
                            Chip Campbell
                          • A. J. Mechelynck
                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 1, 2006
                              Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                              > Yakov Lerner wrote:
                              >
                              >> "Bram Moolenaar" <Bram@...> wrote:
                              >>> Right, the matchparen plugin uses ":match" and thus clears any previous
                              >>> match pattern.
                              >>>
                              >>> Perhaps we should use a separate match for the matchparen plugin?
                              >> Why not allow N separate match'es, identified by user-supplied name ?
                              >>
                              >> For example, then 'match Column80 Error /\%80c.*/' would peacefully
                              >> coexist with paren-match and with 'unnamed' match set manually by the
                              >> user.
                              >>
                              >> I use match sometimes. I think there might be uses for named matches.
                              >
                              > That's getting very complicated. It would require additional commands
                              > to list the matches defined, clear matches by name or all of them, etc.
                              > Implementation isn't simple either.
                              >
                              > I tend to think that two or three matches will be sufficient. One for
                              > the matchparen plugin, one for manual matching and one for another
                              > plugin.

                              Possibility 1: We already have named autocommand groups. Couldn't we
                              have similar (and similarly optional) match groups, thus allowing an
                              unlimited number of parallel (named) matches but keeping the present
                              behaviour by default (if no matchgroups are used)?

                              Possibility 2: Alternately, why stay at a meagre two or three? Let's
                              foresee ten of them (:match or :0match, :1match, .. :9match). As my old
                              chemistry teacher used to say: "If you want to have enough, make sure
                              you have too much."

                            • Benji Fisher
                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 1, 2006
                                On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 12:24:17AM +0100, A. J. Mechelynck wrote:

                                > Possibility 1: We already have named autocommand groups. Couldn't we
                                > have similar (and similarly optional) match groups, thus allowing an
                                > unlimited number of parallel (named) matches but keeping the present
                                > behaviour by default (if no matchgroups are used)?
                                >
                                > Possibility 2: Alternately, why stay at a meagre two or three? Let's
                                > foresee ten of them (:match or :0match, :1match, .. :9match). As my old
                                > chemistry teacher used to say: "If you want to have enough, make sure
                                > you have too much."

                                I like the first suggestion. Perhaps search highlighting could be
                                made part of the :match hierarchy (matchgroup Search). One issue to
                                consider is priority. If I have

                                matchgroup Foo
                                match Search /[aeiou]/

                                matchgroup Bar
                                match WarningMsg /[abcde]/

                                matchgroup END

                                then how does "a" get highlighted? I suggest letting the last-defined
                                match win. I suspect it is easy to implement; it means that whatever
                                match I define right now shows its effect immediately; and if
                                "matchgroup Search" is defined internally, then :match has priority over
                                hlsearch, so it is backwards compatible.

                                Bram, once again you have proven that the problem with adding new
                                features is that we users just ask for more. It is like juggling:
                                "Wow, you can juggle four! Can you do five?"

                                HTH --Benji Fisher
                              • A. J. Mechelynck
                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 1, 2006
                                  Benji Fisher wrote:
                                  > On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 12:24:17AM +0100, A. J. Mechelynck wrote:
                                  >> Possibility 1: We already have named autocommand groups. Couldn't we
                                  >> have similar (and similarly optional) match groups, thus allowing an
                                  >> unlimited number of parallel (named) matches but keeping the present
                                  >> behaviour by default (if no matchgroups are used)?
                                  >>
                                  >> Possibility 2: Alternately, why stay at a meagre two or three? Let's
                                  >> foresee ten of them (:match or :0match, :1match, .. :9match). As my old
                                  >> chemistry teacher used to say: "If you want to have enough, make sure
                                  >> you have too much."
                                  >
                                  > I like the first suggestion. Perhaps search highlighting could be
                                  > made part of the :match hierarchy (matchgroup Search). One issue to
                                  > consider is priority. If I have
                                  >
                                  > matchgroup Foo
                                  > match Search /[aeiou]/
                                  >
                                  > matchgroup Bar
                                  > match WarningMsg /[abcde]/
                                  >
                                  > matchgroup END
                                  >
                                  > then how does "a" get highlighted? I suggest letting the last-defined
                                  > match win. I suspect it is easy to implement; it means that whatever
                                  > match I define right now shows its effect immediately; and if
                                  > "matchgroup Search" is defined internally, then :match has priority over
                                  > hlsearch, so it is backwards compatible.
                                  >
                                  > Bram, once again you have proven that the problem with adding new
                                  > features is that we users just ask for more. It is like juggling:
                                  > "Wow, you can juggle four! Can you do five?"
                                  >
                                  > HTH --Benji Fisher

                                  :matchgroup foo
                                  :match User1 /foo/
                                  :matchgroup bar
                                  :match User2 /bar/
                                  :matchgroup END
                                  :match Todo /baz/

                                  To which group (if any) does the "baz" match belong?

                                  Hypothesis 1: "stack": "matchgroup END" closes group "bar" and group
                                  "foo" reverts.

                                  Hypothesis 2: "one-at-a-time": "matchgroup bar" closes group foo,
                                  "matchgroup END" closes group bar, "match /baz/" is in the default
                                  (unnamed) group.

                                  Hypothesis 2 seems more consistent with ":redir END" and ":augroup END".

                                  -----

                                  matchgroup foo
                                  match Title /[abcde]/
                                  matchgroup bar
                                  match Todo /[aeiou]/
                                  " the letter a is highlighted as Todo
                                  matchgroup foo
                                  match Title /[aáàâäå]/
                                  " I suppose the latter brings group foo "to the front" and
                                  " highlights a in Title?
                                  match
                                  " I suppose this undefines the "foo" match, so group "bar"
                                  " reverts and a is again in Todo?

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 2, 2006
                                    Benji Fisher wrote:

                                    > On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 12:24:17AM +0100, A. J. Mechelynck wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Possibility 1: We already have named autocommand groups. Couldn't we
                                    > > have similar (and similarly optional) match groups, thus allowing an
                                    > > unlimited number of parallel (named) matches but keeping the present
                                    > > behaviour by default (if no matchgroups are used)?
                                    > >
                                    > > Possibility 2: Alternately, why stay at a meagre two or three? Let's
                                    > > foresee ten of them (:match or :0match, :1match, .. :9match). As my old
                                    > > chemistry teacher used to say: "If you want to have enough, make sure
                                    > > you have too much."
                                    >
                                    > I like the first suggestion. Perhaps search highlighting could be
                                    > made part of the :match hierarchy (matchgroup Search). One issue to
                                    > consider is priority. If I have
                                    >
                                    > matchgroup Foo
                                    > match Search /[aeiou]/
                                    >
                                    > matchgroup Bar
                                    > match WarningMsg /[abcde]/
                                    >
                                    > matchgroup END
                                    >
                                    > then how does "a" get highlighted? I suggest letting the last-defined
                                    > match win. I suspect it is easy to implement; it means that whatever
                                    > match I define right now shows its effect immediately; and if
                                    > "matchgroup Search" is defined internally, then :match has priority over
                                    > hlsearch, so it is backwards compatible.
                                    >
                                    > Bram, once again you have proven that the problem with adding new
                                    > features is that we users just ask for more. It is like juggling:
                                    > "Wow, you can juggle four! Can you do five?"

                                    Right. That's why I think three matches are enough. If you try to
                                    juggle four you'll get confused and drop one.

                                    You appear to underestimate the impact matches have on redrawing speed.
                                    There is a penatly for having to redraw more often and a penalty per
                                    character to check for highlighting. I rather have plugin developers
                                    stuggle with the small number of matches available than me having to
                                    struggle to keep redrawing speedy. Sometimes less is better.

                                    7. Finish all your sentences with "in accordance with the prophecy".

                                  • Nikolai Weibull
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Mar 2, 2006
                                      > You appear to underestimate the impact matches have on redrawing speed.
                                      > There is a penatly for having to redraw more often and a penalty per
                                      > character to check for highlighting. I rather have plugin developers
                                      > stuggle with the small number of matches available than me having to
                                      > struggle to keep redrawing speedy. Sometimes less is better.

                                      Why not let plugin developers and the people that install them worry
                                      about redrawing speeds. If people install too many plugins and thus
                                      impair their redrawing speeds then let them fix it by picking and
                                      choosing the set of plugins that they can't live without. Just make
                                      it clear in the documentation the reasons for too many matches being a
                                      performance hog.

                                      It's better to plan something that can grow with more CPU-speed
                                      further on than to be locked into something that worked 2006 on an
                                      MS-DOS system or whatever system we're worrying about today. Let's
                                      not forget the quote that pops up in your signature once every so
                                      often about people never needing more than 640 kilobyte of memory, as
                                      said by a certain rich fellow that has built an operating system that
                                      is basically collapsing over itself due to backwards-compatibility
                                      issues and just a horrendous amount of code that has been
                                      incrementally put together to deal with new word-sizes and new
                                      technologies subsuming old ones. And while that quote is probably not
                                      correctly attributed, see http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Talk:Bill_Gates44
                                      and http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Bill_Gates45, I still think it is a
                                      point to consider.

                                      nikolai