Re: "window tabs" and "frames/pages"

  • mzyzik@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 5, 2006
      > Why not make tabs a display option for split windows? Something like:
      >
      > set tabs
      >
      > then when you do a :sball or :new, you get tabs instead of windows...
      >
      > set notabs
      >
      > then when you do a :sball or :new, you get the current behavior with
      > out any kind of tab-line.
      >

      > --
      >
      > . o O pyromancer O o .

      It's easier and better and more logical just to create new commands
      for creating new frames.
      Why would someone want to change tabs/notabs on the fly when they can
      just have a command like :frall or :fnew?

      --Matt
    • Gautam Iyer
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 5, 2006
        On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 10:38:15AM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:

        > On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 07:54:18PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        >
        > > to tackle... Also, having multiple Visual areas, multiple states, etc.
        > > It's probably easier to run gvim twice and have them communicate.
        >
        > Agreed, I often work with multiple gvim windows for instance.
        > But an easy way to start up another gvim from one in execution would be
        > a real plus.

        Well for me the real plus of having multiple windows is to "detach"
        tabs! Would that be easy to implement if you have multiple gvim
        instances communicating?

        If you do manage to do this with multiple gvim instances communicating,
        then I'm hoping that tabs (and buffers) can be somehow magically moved
        between console vim instances (which is all I use anyway!).

        But yes, I'm all for multiple windows and (detachable) tabs!

        :)

        GI

        --
        Microsoft broke Volkswagen's world record: Volkswagen only made 22
        million bugs!
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 6, 2006

          And mine too!

          ---Zdenek
        • Benji Fisher
          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 6, 2006
            On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 03:30:30PM -0600, Gautam Iyer wrote:
            > On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 10:38:15AM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
            >
            > > On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 07:54:18PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            > >
            > > > to tackle... Also, having multiple Visual areas, multiple states, etc.
            > > > It's probably easier to run gvim twice and have them communicate.
            > >
            > > Agreed, I often work with multiple gvim windows for instance.
            > > But an easy way to start up another gvim from one in execution would be
            > > a real plus.
            >
            > Well for me the real plus of having multiple windows is to "detach"
            > tabs! Would that be easy to implement if you have multiple gvim
            > instances communicating?
            >
            > If you do manage to do this with multiple gvim instances communicating,
            > then I'm hoping that tabs (and buffers) can be somehow magically moved
            > between console vim instances (which is all I use anyway!).
            >
            > But yes, I'm all for multiple windows and (detachable) tabs!

            Good point: if multiple windows are implemented by having more
            communication between different instances of vim, there is no need to
            insist on gvim.

            Design issues: this would force a lot of decisions on us. The two
            instances of vim would have separate histories (search, command-line,
            jumps, etc.); global options changed in one would not affect the other;
            new mappings, commands, etc. defined in one would not affect the other.
            Is this what we want? It should be possible to do the equivalent of
            making a session file and loading it, so that the two instances start
            off in the same state.

            Implementation issues: I am not really competent to discuss this,
            but I suspect that the main difficulty would be allowing two instances
            of vim to share a buffer.

            OT: is it possible in Mozilla to detach a tab, so that the web page in
            the tab gets its own window?

            --Benji Fisher
          • mzyzik@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 6, 2006
              > Good point: if multiple windows are implemented by having more
              > communication between different instances of vim, there is no need to
              > insist on gvim.
              >
              > Design issues: this would force a lot of decisions on us. The two
              > instances of vim would have separate histories (search, command-line,
              > jumps, etc.); global options changed in one would not affect the other;
              > new mappings, commands, etc. defined in one would not affect the other.
              > Is this what we want? It should be possible to do the equivalent of
              > making a session file and loading it, so that the two instances start
              > off in the same state.
              >
              > Implementation issues: I am not really competent to discuss this,
              > but I suspect that the main difficulty would be allowing two instances
              > of vim to share a buffer.
              >
              > OT: is it possible in Mozilla to detach a tab, so that the web page in
              > the tab gets its own window?
              >
              > --Benji Fisher

              Undoubtedly implementing the multiple windows to represent
              "frames/pages" will be difficult to implement. I think Bram would be
              reluctant to introduce frames in Vim7 if this was a requirement. We
              should consider this once the tabs and frames are working well within
              one window.
              Basically what I'm saying is, we should just get the frames working
              first, hopefully in Vim7, and then consider the multiple windows per
              frames later. Besides, the two votes in the top 10 are for frames, and
              tabs for those frames; with no mention of multiple windows.

              --Matt
            • Benji Fisher
              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 6, 2006
                On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 10:27:11AM -0500, mzyzik@... wrote:
                > > Good point: if multiple windows are implemented by having more
                > > communication between different instances of vim, there is no need to
                > > insist on gvim.
                > >
                > > Design issues: this would force a lot of decisions on us. The two
                > > instances of vim would have separate histories (search, command-line,
                > > jumps, etc.); global options changed in one would not affect the other;
                > > new mappings, commands, etc. defined in one would not affect the other.
                > > Is this what we want? It should be possible to do the equivalent of
                > > making a session file and loading it, so that the two instances start
                > > off in the same state.
                > >
                > > Implementation issues: I am not really competent to discuss this,
                > > but I suspect that the main difficulty would be allowing two instances
                > > of vim to share a buffer.
                > >
                > > OT: is it possible in Mozilla to detach a tab, so that the web page in
                > > the tab gets its own window?
                > >
                > > --Benji Fisher
                >
                > Undoubtedly implementing the multiple windows to represent
                > "frames/pages" will be difficult to implement. I think Bram would be
                > reluctant to introduce frames in Vim7 if this was a requirement. We
                > should consider this once the tabs and frames are working well within
                > one window.

                In my first post on this thread, I advocated considering the design
                issues of multiple windows at the same time that we discuss tabs, and I
                still think that is a good idea. Since I am not volunteering to do any
                development, I do not have much to say about when to implement these
                features. Maybe it is right to have tabs in vim 7.0 and put off windows
                until 7.2 or 8.0.

                > Basically what I'm saying is, we should just get the frames working
                > first, hopefully in Vim7, and then consider the multiple windows per
                > frames later. Besides, the two votes in the top 10 are for frames, and
                > tabs for those frames; with no mention of multiple windows.

                I am not sure what you mean by that last sentence. Are we looking
                at the same list? From http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php :

                9 146 (-12) 32 -8 support multiple top-level windows for one running Vim

                --Benji Fisher
              • A. J. Mechelynck
                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 6, 2006
                  Johnny Blaze wrote:
                  > On 2/5/06, *A. J. Mechelynck* < antoine.mechelynck@...
                  > <mailto:antoine.mechelynck@...>> wrote:
                  >
                  > Johnny Blaze wrote:
                  [...]
                  > > Why not make tabs a display option for split windows? Something like:
                  > >
                  > > set tabs
                  > >
                  > > then when you do a :sball or :new, you get tabs instead of windows...
                  > >
                  > > set notabs
                  [...]
                  > Hello Johnny. Without changing anything in the current versions of
                  > (g)vim, you can use "Rolodex Vim", as follows:
                  >
                  > :set noequalalways winminheight=0 winheight=99999
                  [...]
                  > oh I know... anytime anyone asks this question, you paste the above
                  > text, and I point them to my script (multiwin.vim ).
                  >

                  > --
                  >
                  > . o O pyromancer O o .

                  Didn't realize you knew about it (and didn't like it). Sorry.

                • mzyzik@gmail.com
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 6, 2006
                    > > Basically what I'm saying is, we should just get the frames working
                    > > first, hopefully in Vim7, and then consider the multiple windows per
                    > > frames later. Besides, the two votes in the top 10 are for frames, and
                    > > tabs for those frames; with no mention of multiple windows.
                    >
                    > I am not sure what you mean by that last sentence. Are we looking
                    > at the same list? From http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php :
                    >
                    > 9 146 (-12) 32 -8 support multiple top-level windows for one running Vim
                    >
                    > --Benji Fisher

                    Yeah but I think that means frames/pages, doesn't it?
                    I very possibly could be wrong.

                    --Matt
                  • Johnny Blaze
                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 8, 2006
                      On 2/7/06, A. J. Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
                      > Johnny Blaze wrote:
                      > > On 2/5/06, *A. J. Mechelynck* < antoine.mechelynck@...
                      > > <mailto:antoine.mechelynck@...>> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Johnny Blaze wrote:
                      > [...]
                      > > > Why not make tabs a display option for split windows? Something like:
                      > > >
                      > > > set tabs
                      > > >
                      > > > then when you do a :sball or :new, you get tabs instead of windows...
                      > > >
                      > > > set notabs
                      > [...]
                      > > Hello Johnny. Without changing anything in the current versions of
                      > > (g)vim, you can use "Rolodex Vim", as follows:
                      > >
                      > > :set noequalalways winminheight=0 winheight=99999
                      > [...]
                      > > oh I know... anytime anyone asks this question, you paste the above
                      > > text, and I point them to my script (multiwin.vim ).

                      > Didn't realize you knew about it (and didn't like it). Sorry.

                      Its not that I don't like it... you gave me the orignal idea that
                      started the script :-) -- you're actually credited in the script's
                      description on vim.org... :-)

                      --

                      . o O pyromancer O o .